Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flight Cancellation (Weather) Change Other Segments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Hyatt Globalist | Marriott Platinum Elite | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred Plus

This one is probably a long shot.... A schedule change came up wanting me to change my return segment of a trip. Change fee $200, fare different 90 bucks. No sweat at all.

Fast forward to today, on the first segment, flight delayed enroute to DFW. Upon landing find out that connection cancelled due to weather. Called Gold desk and of course AA allows me to change and actually allowed me fly into a more convenient airport for the next day. Awesome!

Question is now that flight has cancelled, and if I were to change my return, would AA allow me to make that return segment change without fee? Has anyone experienced this?

Much thanks,
Old Nov 10, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
most agents will, just call AA and tell them what flight you would like to have instead
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by portlandref09
This one is probably a long shot.... A schedule change came up wanting me to change my return segment of a trip. Change fee $200, fare different 90 bucks. No sweat at all.

Fast forward to today, on the first segment, flight delayed enroute to DFW. Upon landing find out that connection cancelled due to weather. Called Gold desk and of course AA allows me to change and actually allowed me fly into a more convenient airport for the next day. Awesome!

Question is now that flight has cancelled, and if I were to change my return, would AA allow me to make that return segment change without fee? Has anyone experienced this?

Much thanks,
Yes, call back and say the agent forget to adjust your return flight to depart from the same airport. I've had to do this several times, never a charge as long as irrops was the cause of the initial change.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Hyatt Globalist | Marriott Platinum Elite | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes, call back and say the agent forget to adjust your return flight to depart from the same airport. I've had to do this several times, never a charge as long as irrops was the cause of the initial change.
Not necessarily the airport I need but the date I needed change for the non effected portion (1st half of the trip was messed up, but want to change the return date) and using the cancelled flight as a reason to try to avoid the change fee if I can. Just making sure I was clear as I was re-reading my original post and by that point it had been a long day.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That is how I read your OP. You are not entitled to a change and this is outside the ordinary customer courtesy which AA would extend unless you need to extend your return because the outbound was delayed by a day or more.

But, it does not hurt to ask. Do not, as suggested above, blame the prior agent as that simply makes the agent with whom you are speaking less likely to help you out. You are the one at fault to the extent that this is about fault and simply making this a conversational request about something you should have taken care of in the initial call takes all the pressure off.

If you get the fee free change, all the better. If you don't, you haven't lost what are youren't willing to pay, e.g. the $290.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Often1
But, it does not hurt to ask. Do not, as suggested above, blame the prior agent as that simply makes the agent with whom you are speaking less likely to help you out.
You misinterpreted what I was suggesting, definitely don't "blame" it on another agent but just call back and ask to change the return because you/the agent/whoever forgot to adjust that on the first call.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
definately possible

Not a listed benefit but I've had agents add a day or even two in addition to the delayed arrival hours as a courtesy. My statement is generally something like... I planned to have XX days at my destination can you put me on X flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.