Wiki Posts
Search

787 — bucket of bolts

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
FWIW I can’t remember the last mx delay I had on a mad dog.
I can't remember my last Lockheed 1011 delay either
Old Nov 23, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Ended up on a 787 from ORD to CUN last Saturday. I was originally scheduled on a SAN-CLT-CUN routing, but a schedule change over the Summer months had us switched to a SAN-ORD-CUN itinerary. A few weeks later the SAN-CLT flight was reinstated, but in the interim, a 787 was substituted for the original 737 from ORD so I opted to stay on the ORD-CUN rote for the lie flat seats.

No major issues with the flight. It was snowing at ORD that morning (bit of a culture shock after coming in from SAN) so a slight delay for de-icing, but the major “drama” was that the business cabin ran out of sparkling wine by row 4 (luckily my wife and I were in 4D/F, so did get our Mimosas). One other thing of note was that the downwind leg over the sea was done at an altitude around 2900ft (if the IFE) can be trusted, the base turn and final turns did give a very good view of the closeness of the water. I don’t recall ever being that low over water unless we were on the actual final approach.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 1:22 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
One other thing of note was that the downwind leg over the sea was done at an altitude around 2900ft (if the IFE) can be trusted, the base turn and final turns did give a very good view of the closeness of the water. I don’t recall ever being that low over water unless we were on the actual final approach.
If the pilot is doing a traditional visual approach, 2900ft (AGL) would seem high for the downwind leg. Larger planes/jets would usually fly 1500' on that leg and by the time they are on final they would be a bit lower. Of course, the tower may have given them specific altitudes to fly.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA Plt, UA 1P
Airlines also usually have a domestic route for their international equipment for regulatory and repair reasons. There are different requirements on what systems or components can be non-functional on a over-land versus over-water flight (which sounds weird. . .but when almost everything is double, if not triple redundant, having one redundancy down isn't major.)

Thus, if the only routes airlines had their heavies on were international and one of these allowable non-functional systems went down, the equipment would be totally out of use until repaired. Instead, they can be used domestically revenue generating until the parts are available or repairs are the most cost effective.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExP 1MM, Smiles/GOL Diamond, TudoAzul/AZUL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by pmiranda
Spent 14 hours looking at a fully dimmed window that wouldn't "open". Very annoyed to have paid for that privilege. I suppose that's the choice of the flight crew to crank them all "shut", but on a daytime flight... why!?
I've flown several times from Asia to the US and that is exactly what happens: FAs dim the windows and there's no way passengers can individually undo it. But it really doesn't bother me at all ... In fact, it's a non-issue to me.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 3:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I flew on the 787 (I think -900) LAX-PVG on Wednesday-Thursday. I really like the AA version of the aircraft, with angled seats (seems like these are all based on the old US Airways Envoy seats). Anyway, one of the smoothest flights I've had, took off on time, seatbelt sign off and I can't recall it going on until we were landing. Great crew, with great service, and fantastic food. Hoping for similar on my return trip.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
Ended up on a 787 from ORD to CUN last Saturday. I was originally scheduled on a SAN-CLT-CUN routing, but a schedule change over the Summer months had us switched to a SAN-ORD-CUN itinerary. A few weeks later the SAN-CLT flight was reinstated, but in the interim, a 787 was substituted for the original 737 from ORD so I opted to stay on the ORD-CUN rote for the lie flat seats.
Isn’t SAN sort of close to CUN - I’m intrigued that AA couldn’t get you to DFW or somewhere a bit more south than CLT / ORD in the first place. Ouch that there isn’t a nonstop.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Anyone know why cheap Parker didn’t opt for the better A350 instead?
Parker's US ordered the A350; legacy American ordered the 787.

Parker Derangement Syndrome is a great way to learn who to ignore...
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by superweak
Parker's US ordered the A350; legacy American ordered the 787.

Parker Derangement Syndrome is a great way to learn who to ignore...
Dude don’t let a good rant get thrown by facts. What fun is that.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:50 am

Another first flight of the day maintenance issue.

Flying 1588 DFW to ORD this morning .Boarding time comes and goes and then the announcement that maintenance on board and we are delayed in boarding. Only about 10 min behind scheduled boarding time and they just let all the deadheads on board so hopefully not too bad.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
My comment was more or less anecdotal. For all the high tech carbon and electronic wizardry the 787 is it's always gone mechanical (not to mention get canceled in SCL last year). All that high tech crap is good.....when it works. For all the low tech the MD-80 is it seems to be a far more reliable plane at the end of the day.

Moving forward I will not be flying that plane to O'hare and back ever again. AA's reliability with on time % of that plane must be horrible. If it's not then I guess I'm just plagued with bad luck.
Just be grateful it’s only short domestics for you. That sardine can is an abortion for TATL or any other trip over 4 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.