FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Missed flight, fly next day: Will I have to pay American Airlines? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1939766-missed-flight-fly-next-day-will-i-have-pay-american-airlines.html)

lsquare Nov 9, 2018 12:43 pm

Missed flight, fly next day: Will I have to pay American Airlines?

Long story short, I missed my flight to LA out of China today. They rebooked me for tomorrow’s flight, but the rep said I’ll have to pay a penalty plus the difference in fare. The rep at the airport said I don’t have to pay until I checked in. I just called AA and they told me the tickets are ready and there is no need to pay for anything. I’m set to fly. So I’m confused. It would be great if I don’t have to pay. Does anyone here know if credit cards can be used at Chineee airports?

Thx.

JJeffrey Nov 9, 2018 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 30412585)
Long story short, I missed my flight to LA out of China today. They rebooked me for tomorrow’s flight, but the rep said I’ll have to pay a penalty plus the difference in fare. The rep at the airport said I don’t have to pay until I checked in. I just called AA and they told me the tickets are ready and there is no need to pay for anything. I’m set to fly. So I’m confused. It would be great if I don’t have to pay. Does anyone here know if credit cards can be used at Chineee airports?

Thx.

If the phone rep said your new flight is ticketed and ready to go then you should be good. Most likely a lost in translation issue at a foreign outstation (contract agents perhaps). AA generally has a flat tire rule and will rebook you or at least put you on standby free of charge in situations like this, YMMV. If they do try to charge you then using a credit card will be no problem.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Nov 9, 2018 1:00 pm

It sounds like you've simply been rebooked on another flight under the "Flat Tire Rule" but none of us know for sure. You should probably call AA and double check whether you are confirmed on a flight tomorrow. As far as credit cards, do you mean AA to accept a credit card for any possible change fee and refare or the airport in general?

gateH15 Nov 9, 2018 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30412659)
If the phone rep said your new flight is ticketed and ready to go then you should be good. Most likely a lost in translation issue at a foreign outstation (contract agents perhaps). AA generally has a flat tire rule and will rebook you or at least put you on standby free of charge in situations like this, YMMV. If they do try to charge you then using a credit card will be no problem.

Flat tire rule only applies on domestic flights.
You got lucky that they didn’t charge you change fee plus fare difference. If you can see your flight is ticketed i would not question it at all and would be very greatful!

Often1 Nov 9, 2018 2:46 pm

This.

There is no reason to call AA yet again. If AA is going to charge you, you have a decision to make as to whether you pay & fly or make some other arrangements. If it is not, you are all set.

How will it change your actions if AA tells you that the first agent made a mistake and should have told you there is an add/collect due at the counter? Likely it won't. No reason to stir the pot by calling yet again.

Gig103 Nov 9, 2018 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30413021)
How will it change your actions if AA tells you that the first agent made a mistake and should have told you there is an add/collect due at the counter? Likely it won't. No reason to stir the pot by calling yet again.

That's how I see it - have the CC in your wallet just in case, but I would not call back. On a far less expensive note I had a store customer service phone agent offer me a $50 GC as an apology for something, and when it didn't show up I called back. The supervisor said that his employee wasn't authorized to do that. So don't call back!!

lsquare Nov 9, 2018 6:25 pm

You mean lost in translation at the airport or over the phone? The phone had a thick accent when she spoke English with me. My Chinese is good enough that I understood what the AA rep told me st the airport. She told me I’ll have to pay when I check-in. The reason why I asked about the credit card is that most places don’t take credit cards not even at international chains like McDonald’s. I don’t have enough Chinese currency on me if they want cash so I’m not sure if I should exchange some USD just in case. There are actually two segments on my AA flight. The second flight doesn’t have a seat so I’ll have to go to the counter at the airport later today (China time) no matter what. The phone rep said the ticket is ready, but obviously I’m getting conflicting information.

lsquare Nov 9, 2018 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 30412662)
It sounds like you've simply been rebooked on another flight under the "Flat Tire Rule" but none of us know for sure. You should probably call AA and double check whether you are confirmed on a flight tomorrow. As far as credit cards, do you mean AA to accept a credit card for any possible change fee and refare or the airport in general?

I meant AA accepting credit cards at the airport.

lsquare Nov 9, 2018 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15 (Post 30412773)

Flat tire rule only applies on domestic flights.
You got lucky that they didn’t charge you change fee plus fare difference. If you can see your flight is ticketed i would not question it at all and would be very greatful!

How can I see that I have been ticketed? I can’t check-in online because the system said my passport information doesn’t match what AA have in their system. Very strange and I’ll have to go to the AA counter no matter what. I really am hoping that I got lucky and that I won’t have to pay. How does this usually work though? Does AA usually collect payment after the rebooking is done?

lsquare Nov 9, 2018 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30413021)
This.

There is no reason to call AA yet again. If AA is going to charge you, you have a decision to make as to whether you pay & fly or make some other arrangements. If it is not, you are all set.

The reason why I called AA after I left the airport was because I was hoping to pay my rebooking fee via credit card. At the time the rebooking was done, the rep just told me to pay when I check-in. I just didn’t want to exchange more USD so I wanted to inquire whether the ticket was ready or not. I didn’t explain the situation to the phone rep. She just told me it’s set and ready to go and didn’t mentioned that I owe her money or pay at the airport. Anything else you think I should do other than hoping I don’t see the same rep who rebooked for me yesterday?i wonder if she left any notes for her colleagues to collect money from me later today at the check-in counter?

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Nov 9, 2018 6:55 pm

Just get to the airport early, play dumb when you check in. Don’t ask questions. Worst comes to worst you can call AA and pay any fees to be rebooked. What does your reservation say on aa.com?

None of us can give you an exact answer. Again, get to the airport early and handle it as needed. Hopefully someone rebooked you and your good to go.

Allan38103 Nov 9, 2018 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 30413671)

She just told me it’s set and ready to go and didn’t mentioned that I owe her money or pay at the airport. I wonder if she left any notes for her colleagues to collect money from me later today at the check-in counter?

See the bolded text above. AA will either charge you, or they wont. That's a decision that a reservation clerk alone is not empowered to make, and not one for you to make either. If you're that impatient to know, make sure you track down the specific agent who you talked to and insist the she explain exactly what she meant. If she keeps trying to tell you do NOT owe anything, ask to speak to a supervisor.

gateH15 Nov 9, 2018 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 30413671)

The reason why I called AA after I left the airport was because I was hoping to pay my rebooking fee via credit card. At the time the rebooking was done, the rep just told me to pay when I check-in. I just didn’t want to exchange more USD so I wanted to inquire whether the ticket was ready or not. I didn’t explain the situation to the phone rep. She just told me it’s set and ready to go and didn’t mentioned that I owe her money or pay at the airport. Anything else you think I should do other than hoping I don’t see the same rep who rebooked for me yesterday?i wonder if she left any notes for her colleagues to collect money from me later today at the check-in counter?

you wont need cash to pay for you ticket if they decide to charge you. They will accept credit card.
Don’t mention anything at check in. Just show your passport and get your boarding pass. If your reservation is ticketed AA will not bathe you anything. That’s just how it works.
IF you need to pay your ticket will say pending on Aa.com it in the mobile app.

GNVFlyer Nov 9, 2018 10:21 pm

I concur, but get to airport really early. I have also found add collects can change in a situation like this. If the amount they want is not unreasonable, pay and go

gateH15 Nov 9, 2018 10:51 pm

I’m sure any amount that they will ask will be reasonable compare to a same day one way ticket on a different airline.