Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

JFK to MAD - AA (arriving 8am) vs. Iberia (arriving 6am)

Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat (won't last), Hilton Gold

Flying in business class, which of the above options would you choose? They are both available (using miles). I'm currently booked with Iberia, but it will likely arrive before my US bedtime which won't give me much opportunity to sleep anywhere. AA may give me a couple of hours of sleep, but I'd arrive closer to "rush hour" in the city if there is one. Since maybe it's not such of a big difference in arrival times, it comes down to the plane, the fact that Iberia doesn't participate in precheck, or some other quality I'm not considering.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:35 am

I would probably go AA. I usually have a slow go going through immigration there. Everything is usually slower in Spain. My last trip it took 45 minutes to get a rental car with a line 4 deep. Another consideration is if the hotel will let you in early.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by onetess
Flying in business class, which of the above options would you choose? They are both available (using miles). I'm currently booked with Iberia, but it will likely arrive before my US bedtime which won't give me much opportunity to sleep anywhere. AA may give me a couple of hours of sleep, but I'd arrive closer to "rush hour" in the city if there is one. Since maybe it's not such of a big difference in arrival times, it comes down to the plane, the fact that Iberia doesn't participate in precheck, or some other quality I'm not considering.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks!
Yea, from the east coast the early 4-5pm departures to Europe are just awful for sleep as you mentioned, I generally avoid these as well. For that reason alone I'd go with AA and the ~7pm departure from JFK, plus you'll get PreCheck and AA's JFK Flagship Lounge in T8 is nicer than the BA lounge in T7 that IB uses. The hard product on AA's 763 is lacking compared to IB however it's such a short flight that it really doesn't make a difference.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
I agree with comments- other considerations is the FF mileage credit depending on the ticket stock and traffic to JFK.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Marketed flight matters, not ticket stock / plating, for earning.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by zebranz
I agree with comments- other considerations is the FF mileage credit depending on the ticket stock and traffic to JFK.
Originally Posted by JDiver
Marketed flight matters, not ticket stock / plating, for earning.
OP said this is an award ticket, so....
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
OP said this is an award ticket, so....
IB has better plane. Lets be honest 763 is the worst AA long haul product.
And at 6am you will not be waiting at long passport control line when arriving in Madrid. I would go with Iberia.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A lot depends on what your plans are in MAD. What will you do with the extra 2 hours, especially if you are headed to a hotel which won't give you a room unless you book the night before? Do you have meetings or other things which need to be done?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum Ambassador, AA Gold
What are the planes? I recently booked ORD to MAD on business class through AA, was put on Iberia. At the time, was 340 but now it will be one of their new 359s which is a nice plus. I would not put much stock in arrival times - you can always be late. So I look at the comfort factor.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

So funny - almost split down the middle! Thanks for the thoughts on this!

(I'm staying in an AirBnB so I don't think I can get a very early check-in....)
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:36 pm

Aa is scheduled to switch the flight to a 772 in the near future. I would say aa 763 < ib a330/40 < ib a350 < aa 772 in J.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by OldNewYorker
Aa is scheduled to switch the flight to a 772 in the near future. I would say aa 763 < ib a330/40 < ib a350 < aa 772 in J.
Eh, writing this post from an AA 772 in J, actually, and I'd still say I prefer IB. I'm not generally a fan of non-A380 Airbus products, but I've enjoyed Iberia biz class.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm not sure if AA J pas get access to the IB arrivals lounge. Cant find that info on their site. I've been there as an IB passenger and it's a decent facility to freshen up if you dont have early access to hotel.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:36 am

I'd go Iberia 6 AM so I can get to the Chocolateria San Gines for churros before it gets too packed with tourists.
onetess likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Acid
I'm not sure if AA J pas get access to the IB arrivals lounge. Cant find that info on their site. I've been there as an IB passenger and it's a decent facility to freshen up if you dont have early access to hotel.
You're right; I would only have access if I fly Iberia J since I don't have status. I think this may have made up my mind, as this way I can perhaps nap for a few hours before leaving the airport. Thank you!

I would have access to the arrivals lounge at T4S, correct? Can anyone tell me where to find it exactly? I imagine I'll have to make my way there rather swiftly to get a sleeping chair, as others arriving may have the same thing in mind....

Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.