FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Ultra CK, coming soon (speculation) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1939720-ultra-ck-coming-soon-speculation.html)

JuanTT Nov 9, 2018 7:45 am

Ultra CK, coming soon (speculation)

Been a tough morning. One minute to boarding on a short-haul 737 heading to DFW; I line up, compulsive as the next EXP. I'm ready to step forward when the GA announces "Concierge Key only" and damned if a dozen or more blokes don't come forward. No bespoke clothes from Jermyn St, no Italian shoes; these were just working guys. What gives? A couple of minutes later I'm grudgingly allowed to board (Group 1 isn't quite Group 1 anymore), and I tell the FA that half the planet is now CK. She agrees.

But time heals. Before we land in Dallas I realize that very soon, perhaps in the next year or two, American will announce a new "enhancement." It's Ultra Concierge, Ultra C for short. No corporate vermin, please: just proper customers who spend 200K annually from their own pockets. Then will be the time that wretched CKs mutter in futile rage at their displacement. The Ultras will glide forward, their path cleared by heralds playing golden trumpets. I will stand back and enjoy my revenge. Besides, I've made it to the much improved Admirals Club in A. The oatmeal is decent; even the scrambled eggs. Now if only my damned upgrade to F comes through on 125. Even if it doesn't, which I'm pretty sure it won't, I'm OK. I accept my lot in life. To paraphrase the immortal words of a 19th century historian, "Gad, I'd better."

nrr Nov 9, 2018 7:55 am

Originally Posted by JuanTT (Post 30411519)
Been a tough morning. One minute to boarding on a short-haul 737 heading to DFW; I line up, compulsive as the next EXP. I'm ready to step forward when the GA announces "Concierge Key only" and damned if a dozen or more blokes don't come forward. No bespoke clothes from Jermyn St, no Italian shoes; these were just working guys. What gives? A couple of minutes later I'm grudgingly allowed to board (Group 1 isn't quite Group 1 anymore), and I tell the FA that half the planet is now CK. She agrees.

But time heals. Before we land in Dallas I realize that very soon, perhaps in the next year or two, American will announce a new "enhancement." It's Ultra Concierge, Ultra C for short. No corporate vermin, please: just proper customers who spend 200K annually from their own pockets. Then will be the time that wretched CKs mutter in futile rage at their displacement. The Ultras will glide forward, their path cleared by heralds playing golden trumpets. I will stand back and enjoy my revenge. Besides, I've made it to the much improved Admirals Club in A. The oatmeal is decent; even the scrambled eggs. Now if only my damned upgrade to F comes through on 125. Even if it doesn't, which I'm pretty sure it won't, I'm OK. I accept my lot in life. To paraphrase the immortal words of a 19th century historian, "Gad, I'd better."

Only Group 9 (BE) dress-up.:rolleyes:
Before CK became an official tier, flying out of DFW on a Mon. morning 9 pax who were CK were lined up to board first.

enpremiere Nov 9, 2018 7:56 am

perhaps in the next year or two, American will announce a new "enhancement." It's Ultra Concierge, Ultra C for short.

It was already announced. Group N (the nut allergy group). Doesn't require $200K spend.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Nov 9, 2018 8:03 am

Well not all CKs are dressed up. Take a look at the tech world. Millionaires that dress in no name tee shirts and jeans. I suppose AA could introduce a real high dollar spend category. The kind that would never be required to walk to a gate but driven instead.

Often1 Nov 9, 2018 8:09 am

The guy wearing the cutoffs and flip flops probably makes more in a month than most will make in a lifetime.

The whole thing is silly because the sole reason to board a standard domestic narrow body is OH space. It's the last people to board who don't get that, so whether one is Group 1 or 5 is likely not relevant and largely about making self-important people feel important.

cova Nov 9, 2018 8:14 am

Were all the "CK's" that boarded early in F? Maybe not. I think FAMS board with CKs as well. Plus if one person in a group is CK - others (non CK) will board with them.

JSSAUCE Nov 9, 2018 8:22 am

I can certainly appreciate a good rant, my kids tell me I do it all the time! However, not sure how you equate clothing with a CK. I wear shorts in the Summer and non restrictive nylon long pants in the Winter, always a short sleeve shirt, and wait for it, Gym shoes. I will say I am fairly observant and try to grab a quick glance while boarding to see those with paper boarding passes, and do encounter people just boarding when they feel like it, it happens frequently in the larger airports, but I have personally never seen more than 4 CK on my flights. Lastly, I would gladly board dead last, but with 6-10 flights a week, I do not want to check a bag or put it several rows downstream, so I just board when called and have access to my stuff. No concern on 777/787/767 or if it's a gate check only.

donotblink Nov 9, 2018 9:06 am

Don’t forget the it’s the middle management that our often flying more than the executives. IMO, having worked in sales and currently working in consulting, the worker bees are flying more and spending more on airfare than the head honchos.

JonNYC Nov 9, 2018 10:06 am

Kinda funny; the OP has the parody of AA having/creating a sort of "super CK" and, well, it's actually not entirely parody/fictitious as it turns out...

bosman Nov 9, 2018 10:35 am

Originally Posted by nrr (Post 30411562)
Only Group 9 (BE) dress-up.:rolleyes:

Didn't you know? People who dress up and are nice to the GAs get free upgrades.

Gino Troian Nov 9, 2018 10:36 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 30412013)
Kinda funny; the OP has the parody of AA having/creating a sort of "super CK" and, well, it's actually not entirely parody/fictitious as it turns out...

my guess is some sort of UA GS Chairman's Circle, but for AA?

Score8 Nov 9, 2018 11:06 am

Originally Posted by donotblink (Post 30411806)
Don’t forget the it’s the middle management that our often flying more than the executives. IMO, having worked in sales and currently working in consulting, the worker bees are flying more and spending more on airfare than the head honchos.

I used to work for BAML and the top execs used to 'capture' the CK designations straight from AA even if earned by others. Any left after that went to the vendor relations people.

arlflyer Nov 9, 2018 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30411607)
the sole reason to board a standard domestic narrow body is OH space. It's the last people to board who don't get that, so whether one is Group 1 or 5 is likely not relevant and largely about making self-important people feel important.

I hear that Super CKs will be awarded physical keys that will unlock specially reserved overhead bins on all AA aircraft. Fact.

LovePrunes Nov 9, 2018 11:44 am

as long as you're not in the no-overhead-space-is-left group, what difference does it make how many people board ahead of you? Not like you're likely going to get a PDB in first, and in coach, honestly, what on earth does it do other than say DYKWIA?

BLG Nov 9, 2018 11:48 am

Not to fear. The Super CKs will be endlessly envious of their bosses who don't fly commercial.