Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA FA out of control or badly behaving passenger ?

Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2mm

Please be kind 😀 I'm only reporting this incident

https://thepointsguy.com/2018/01/ins...ent-attendant/
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:26 pm

At least she wasn't dragged off the plane ... #Winning
Beltway2A and jerryss like this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Based on discussions elsewhere, it basically comes down to this. FA might have picked on her despite other people standing and waiting to use the restroom, however her refusal to comply with a simple request needlessly escalated things. I haven't seen the videos, but who knows what her initial response was and she does seem she wasn't taking them seriously with her sarcastic responses. Basically dug herself into a hole.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Does it matter?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:56 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The article notes they were sitting on the tarmac for 2 hours and 46 minutes, in 14 more minutes the 3 hour rule would have "kicked in" and any pax should have been allowed to deplane...she should have been more patient.
codex57 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:29 pm

It does sound like the passenger was indignant and untactful, but nowhere near an abusive level that warrants being kicked off.

And I'm with the passenger, in spirit - it's fundamentally American (the country, not the airline) to stand up for yourself when you're being picked on.

Alas, too many front line employees in this country have absolutely zero sense of subservience. You can be yelled at for putting money on the counter instead of in the cashier's hand during a retail transaction.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by davie355
And I'm with the passenger, in spirit - it's fundamentally American (the country, not the airline) to stand up for yourself when you're being picked on.

Alas, too many front line employees in this country have absolutely zero sense of subservience.
Not that your opinion is of any consequence, but why do you think it's "American" to treat front line employees as "subservient" (some might say, pick on them)?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Karen strikes again lol
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rjw242
Not that your opinion is of any consequence, but why do you think it's "American" to treat front line employees as "subservient" (some might say, pick on them)?
Because here we are often ingrained with the notion that "the customer is always right" or something to that effect, which leads to entitlement of service and treating service employees as lesser than themselves.

I'm not saying I agree with this or even practice it, but many Americans do believe it and forget basic mutual respect goes a long way when getting service employees to help you.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
AA cabin crew being nasty? Noooo, not a chance...
DiverDave, VonS, Beltway2A and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jerryss
Please be kind 😀 I'm only reporting this incident

https://thepointsguy.com/2018/01/ins...ent-attendant/
I stopped after "Fitness model and Instagram star"
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by mvoight
I stopped after "Fitness model and Instagram star"
lol

In similar situations a few of times over the years, when I calmly and politely ask an FA to leave my seat when the seat belt sign is still on (usually for the lav) I have never been denied.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Yeah, this sounds like an FA power trip to me. I am not saying the passenger was little miss innocent, but it sounds more like a ridiculously snarky FA, who escalated things with the passenger. FA's are trained to de-escalate, which often times doesn't seem to be the case.I've met many of these types when I worked for AA. The ones who think they are the police or something rather than what they really are, essentially servers in the sky, no matter what they tell themselves.

So congrats I guess to Miss Selter on a nice payday coming your way courtesy of AA.
danbrew, HMPS and Ldnn1 like this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:15 am

Funny that this would be the example because something similar in my past is part of what first made me realize just how awful and mean a lot of the public is to workers and how often the customer is not right.

I was literally 18 years old, a kid. I was working at a cash register, guy paid, as I am getting his change he turns to look at something and walks away from the register. I stand there for a second and then the phone rings. I am one of two people in the whole store and I will get yelled at if I don't answer it (store manager often calls). I put his change down on the counter and grab the phone which is a few steps away. Phone call is something quick, I hang up and turn around to him yelling at me that I am a racist and have disrespected him. I was stunned, said something about how I have to answer the phone and he yells at me again. My coworker (who happens to be a well over 6ft tall black guy) hears this and starts to walk over while saying "what did you say to her??". Dude leaves, coworker gives me a hug as I am a freaked out 18 year old girl. ....

Anyway, long story short, situations like that and some other rude interactions I had in my youth while working with the public definitely shaped my opinions and made me decide I would never work in a customer facing job again. People can be truly hateful.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I saw a guy throw a wadded up boarding pass at a GA and make this "shoo" hand gesture at him like he was an animal. All because (from what I overheard) the GA said they could not move his seat on a full flight. GA was not phased, just kept doing his thing and moved on.

Not at all saying the FA wasn't at fault, just thought the juxtaposition of the example was funny. Meanness can easily go both ways, but I do tend to not believe a lot of people who proclaim how horribly they were treated. I'll watch the video when I'm not at work.
jinglish likes this.

Last edited by MissJ; Jan 30, 2018 at 10:06 am
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:22 am

Other passengers corroborated with her version of the story. People in the same row are in the bathroom, waiting for the bathroom. If she wants to stand in her own area, let her stand. FA is aggressive and needs to be fired. Who needs this kind of FA around. It will happen to the next passenger soon enough.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.