Wiki Posts
Search

Empty First Class Seats

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
FYI-I have spent 40+ years in Financial Sales. 100% Commission. In my world clients are KING. They are the key to my success and income.

In today's airline industry, clients/customers/passengers are nothing more than self loading cargo. I understand for profit, and embrace it. But, coming from a client centric industry, I scratch my head when I look at the airline industry.
But it does seem to work, doesn't it.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by ACSBill
Like you Often1, I wonder what all of these people that complain about a for-profit business actually charging money for a product do for a living. I'm guessing whatever business they are in, they do not freely give away their product. If you do run your business that way, please let me know and I will take 3 of w/e it is you sell. For free of course. Delivered. You pay postage as well.
Well, gee. Just maybe it’s because of policies like selling you stickers then changing the rules on using them if you don’t have status and refusing to refund what you spent on the now worthless things because there is no way to get status now.

Maybe it’s advertising great deals on buying miles so you do and discover they’re worthless because for example to redeem them you have to overnight in a hub city on a first class redemption to Europe, then fly coach to MIA to pick up that first class seat, then pay outrageous fees to BA to fly business back to the States and have to overnight again before getting home and meanwhile AA had open seats on the more direct flights. That’s since Dougie took over and I’ve been loyal to AA since the mid-80’s. I’m not the only one not loyal to AA anymore but at my age it won’t make a dent in their bottom line but I do have to smirk when I hear Dougie isn’t quite the golden boy he was thought to be at first. There is a benefit to a company to build brand loyalty and AA is doing its best to thumb its nose at it. Maybe that’s why they dropped that “Going for Great” BS. I could go on and on.

Last edited by Gringa; Nov 10, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
You paid for a coach seat. If sitting in an F seat is so important than pay for one. I’ve falllen from EXP back to PLT and despite the FT hyperbole a Y seat is survivable, particularly a MCE seat with a free drink.

Sadly all airlines are headed down the Spirit route. Too many dumb Americans that will book an ULCC, pay out of the ying yang in fees then rant on social media about the horrible treatment. The ULCC model needs to die but with no shortage of stupid people that’s not gonna happen.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
You paid for a coach seat. If sitting in an F seat is so important than pay for one. I’ve falllen from EXP back to PLT and despite the FT hyperbole a Y seat is survivable, particularly a MCE seat with a free drink.

Sadly all airlines are headed down the Spirit route. Too many dumb Americans that will book an ULCC, pay out of the ying yang in fees then rant on social media about the horrible treatment. The ULCC model needs to die but with no shortage of stupid people that’s not gonna happen.
You’re right, I think getting a MCE seat is enough for a mid tier. Don’t mind the times I get pulled up but it’s really only a big deal on a transcon or intl.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by tikchik
My recent DFW-MKE 6:55am departure went out 11/16.
Good grief. Eight days after your post the flight finally left. I can definitely understand why you’d be frustrated
ACSBill likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: CK or bust
FYI-I have spent 40+ years in Financial Sales. 100% Commission. In my world clients are KING. They are the key to my success and income.

In today's airline industry, clients/customers/passengers are nothing more than self loading cargo. I understand for profit, and embrace it. But, coming from a client centric industry, I scratch my head when I look at the airline industry.
That’s why my “handle with care” t-shirt venture is bound to be a smashing success!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Just another data point. Friday had four empty F seats on a regional. No one on upgrade list, but one guy jumped up from MCE as the FA prepared for take off. So it flew 3/4 empty seats.

Sunday there were we’re four open seats with no one on the UG list. Plane not too terribly full. They filled those seats with four employees in full uniform last minute. Neither of these had anyone on the list just prior to the flight. My UG cleared a couple days earlier, but day of, I saw no one on the list. Again regionals flying to BFE and no CK’s boarded either flight when called.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SJWarrior
Just another data point. Friday had four empty F seats on a regional. No one on upgrade list, but one guy jumped up from MCE as the FA prepared for take off. So it flew 3/4 empty seats.

They allowed that!? Pretty bold move on the MCE guy and surprised the FA didn't notice/send him back.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by nd2010
I once got upgraded to F when there were only 3 people on the flight. Everyone on that flight was upgraded. It was a short flight so no food
There might have been cows in the hold at the rear of the plane and they wanted to balance it more easily than moving a cow. Plus you were probably closer to the FAs so they would not be winded delivering the foil bag containing one pretzel.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ryan182
They allowed that!? Pretty bold move on the MCE guy and surprised the FA didn't notice/send him back.
I was surprised too. Didn’t feel like starting anything, so I said nothing. But when they served the meal they skipped him.

Also so on next flight I sat next to a FA and she said it happens more than she would like. She said they say somthing to the person but don’t really push the issue:

As I said no one was on the upgrade list by the time I got the the airport.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond

I was surprised too. Didn’t feel like starting anything, so I said nothing. But when they served the meal they skipped him.

Also so on next flight I sat next to a FA and she said it happens more than she would like. She said they say somthing to the person but don’t really push the issue:

As I said no one was on the upgrade list by the time I got the the airport.
I'd probably mind my own business and say nothing, but my wife would raise a stink for sure.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
It's all about the $ at AA.
And it's not at other businesses?

Originally Posted by Often1
It's a for-profit business run for the benefit of its shareholders.
Exactly.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
My data points: almost every AA flight I take departs with First/Business class 100% full with people still remaining on the upgrade list. This includes peak and off-peak flight times. Domestic and international. I can count on one hand the number of AA flights I flew which had empty first/business seats.

Maybe that guy was a commuting crew. Or a friend of the FAs or pilots.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Austin787
My data points: almost every AA flight I take departs with First/Business class 100% full with people still remaining on the upgrade list. This includes peak and off-peak flight times. Domestic and international. I can count on one hand the number of AA flights I flew which had empty first/business seat

Maybe that guy was a commuting crew. Or a friend of the FAs or pilots.
it would appear you fly way cooler places than I do

And with my second flight they just fill the FC cabin with employess when there is no one on the upgrade list.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL PM
I’ve seen empty F seats on DFW-LAX, DFW-SNA, and SNA-DFW. All on off-peak days/times, but I have seen them nonetheless even on those routes.

Not that recently because I avoid AA now, but all of these were within the past few years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.