Boarding for regional jets?

Old Nov 8, 18, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Boarding for regional jets?

I was just curious what the boarding process is for regional jets with no premium cabin. They seem to board like any other flight but I was wondering what the difference between group 1 and group 2 was since there is no First.
Really doesn't matter, was just curious. There never seems to be anyone in group 2.
Old Nov 8, 18, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by pdac1975 View Post
I was just curious what the boarding process is for regional jets with no premium cabin. They seem to board like any other flight but I was wondering what the difference between group 1 and group 2 was since there is no First.
Really doesn't matter, was just curious. There never seems to be anyone in group 2.
same process as for mainline. If there is no first class no one boards when they announce group 1 except people who pretend that they donít understand their boarding pass says group 6.
AAway, plinth857, MarkOK and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 8, 18, 9:07 am

Just try to play the game of boarding at the time which optimizes the speed of return of your valet bag. In my experience, whether you board first, last, or somewhere in the middle, your specific bag will always come out dead last.
fotographer, GWFan, atbPy and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 8, 18, 9:37 am
Original Poster

That's funny. Wonder why they even call group 1. I suppose for military?
It's always about 15 people too.
Old Nov 8, 18, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pdac1975 View Post
That's funny. Wonder why they even call group 1. I suppose for military?
It's always about 15 people too.
See post above that describes paxs that think Group 1 means Group 6 (or some other group). The other day at TPA a class of what looked like seniors in high school with no chaperons rushed the gate at CK boarding. The GA of course let them go on onbroad.
Old Nov 8, 18, 9:56 am

Programs: LT SPG Plat; AA EXP; HH Diamond
If I am Group 2, I sometimes approach at Group 1, since I know there isn't a Group 1. BTW, I took a flight on UA yesterday SFO-BOS. The execs at AA ought to watch how its should be done. It was very smooth and the designated lines for Group 1, 2 allowed folks to queue up and kept the rif-raf out of the way. I was an F flyer.
Old Nov 8, 18, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I routinely see them call Groups 1 & 2 at the same time for single-cabin. It doesn't really matter because the problem isn't whether the GA calls a Group which won't have anyone in it as what matters are GA's who don't enforce BG's in the first place.

I see AA at DCA and DFW be quite tough on BG's and having people stand aside if they haven't yet been called, so I guess that characterizing AA as not enforcing and UA as enforcing is not really a corporate matter.
Old Nov 8, 18, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
I routinely see them call Groups 1 & 2 at the same time for single-cabin. It doesn't really matter because the problem isn't whether the GA calls a Group which won't have anyone in it as what matters are GA's who don't enforce BG's in the first place.

I see AA at DCA and DFW be quite tough on BG's and having people stand aside if they haven't yet been called, so I guess that characterizing AA as not enforcing and UA as enforcing is not really a corporate matter.
Yesterday at ORD it was basically an allowable free for all boarding a 763. It tends to be GA specific but apparently not important for AA corporate to ensure operational policy.
Old Nov 8, 18, 11:08 am

Not to rain on this insightful post parade but if you're in Group N (for nut) you get to board before CKs and before Groups 1-29.
jcatman likes this.
Old Nov 8, 18, 11:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage Plat Pro, World of Hyatt Globalist, Marriot "member"
For my RJ flights, half the GA's call each group, waiting awkwardly for 15 seconds and repeating once or twice when nobody comes for CK, Groups 1, and 2 (usually, I and one other person is the first to board in Group 3; occasionally, a military member boards first).

The other half the time (usually, at my home airport where the GAs know better), the gate agent makes a quick call for CK/military, and then calls groups 1-4 at once. That is when I throw a DYKWIA fit and elbow the CC group 4 people out of my way, fume on FT to complain about an surly GA, and write a prompt complaint to AA to get 500 miles for the insult!

(j/k of course).

I have yet to see how Group N plays out.
Old Nov 8, 18, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Score8 View Post
If I am Group 2, I sometimes approach at Group 1, since I know there isn't a Group 1. BTW, I took a flight on UA yesterday SFO-BOS. The execs at AA ought to watch how its should be done. It was very smooth and the designated lines for Group 1, 2 allowed folks to queue up and kept the rif-raf out of the way. I was an F flyer.
boarding process at UA is the reason I donít fly that airline. There is no need to line up 1 hour before boarding when you are flying AA. You can get to the gate 2 min before boarding starts and you wonít be behind 100 people who already lined up.
Old Nov 8, 18, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by MarkOK View Post
I have yet to see how Group N plays out.
Old Nov 8, 18, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL WFBF, National Emerald Club, Global Entry, CSR
I often marvel at the fact that it would be a simple IT function to show the GA how many people are in each group to allow them to call more than one group at once, yet they don't do this.

Instead, if a single class RJ they call group 1 and act surprised nobody boards. On a 2-class RJ they call group 2 and act surprised that nobody boards (they all got upgraded...).
atbPy likes this.
Old Nov 8, 18, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15 View Post

boarding process at UA is the reason I donít fly that airline. There is no need to line up 1 hour before boarding when you are flying AA. You can get to the gate 2 min before boarding starts and you wonít be behind 100 people who already lined up.
This...this is sarcasm, right?
Old Nov 8, 18, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by wetrat0 View Post
Instead, if a single class RJ they call group 1 and act surprised nobody boards.
I wonder, do those with a paid F/J connecting flight also get group 1 on a Y-only leg on the same ticket?

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: