FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Boarding for regional jets? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1939546-boarding-regional-jets.html)

pdac1975 Nov 8, 2018 7:59 am

Boarding for regional jets?

I was just curious what the boarding process is for regional jets with no premium cabin. They seem to board like any other flight but I was wondering what the difference between group 1 and group 2 was since there is no First.
Really doesn't matter, was just curious. There never seems to be anyone in group 2.

gateH15 Nov 8, 2018 8:05 am

Originally Posted by pdac1975 (Post 30407655)
I was just curious what the boarding process is for regional jets with no premium cabin. They seem to board like any other flight but I was wondering what the difference between group 1 and group 2 was since there is no First.
Really doesn't matter, was just curious. There never seems to be anyone in group 2.

same process as for mainline. If there is no first class no one boards when they announce group 1 except people who pretend that they don’t understand their boarding pass says group 6.

arlflyer Nov 8, 2018 8:07 am

Just try to play the game of boarding at the time which optimizes the speed of return of your valet bag. In my experience, whether you board first, last, or somewhere in the middle, your specific bag will always come out dead last.

pdac1975 Nov 8, 2018 8:37 am

That's funny. Wonder why they even call group 1. I suppose for military?
It's always about 15 people too.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Nov 8, 2018 8:40 am

Originally Posted by pdac1975 (Post 30407787)
That's funny. Wonder why they even call group 1. I suppose for military?
It's always about 15 people too.

See post above that describes paxs that think Group 1 means Group 6 (or some other group). The other day at TPA a class of what looked like seniors in high school with no chaperons rushed the gate at CK boarding. The GA of course let them go on onbroad.

Score8 Nov 8, 2018 8:56 am

If I am Group 2, I sometimes approach at Group 1, since I know there isn't a Group 1. BTW, I took a flight on UA yesterday SFO-BOS. The execs at AA ought to watch how its should be done. It was very smooth and the designated lines for Group 1, 2 allowed folks to queue up and kept the rif-raf out of the way. I was an F flyer.

Often1 Nov 8, 2018 9:21 am

I routinely see them call Groups 1 & 2 at the same time for single-cabin. It doesn't really matter because the problem isn't whether the GA calls a Group which won't have anyone in it as what matters are GA's who don't enforce BG's in the first place.

I see AA at DCA and DFW be quite tough on BG's and having people stand aside if they haven't yet been called, so I guess that characterizing AA as not enforcing and UA as enforcing is not really a corporate matter.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Nov 8, 2018 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30407984)
I routinely see them call Groups 1 & 2 at the same time for single-cabin. It doesn't really matter because the problem isn't whether the GA calls a Group which won't have anyone in it as what matters are GA's who don't enforce BG's in the first place.

I see AA at DCA and DFW be quite tough on BG's and having people stand aside if they haven't yet been called, so I guess that characterizing AA as not enforcing and UA as enforcing is not really a corporate matter.

Yesterday at ORD it was basically an allowable free for all boarding a 763. It tends to be GA specific but apparently not important for AA corporate to ensure operational policy.

enpremiere Nov 8, 2018 10:08 am

Not to rain on this insightful post parade but if you're in Group N (for nut) you get to board before CKs and before Groups 1-29.

MarkOK Nov 8, 2018 10:28 am

For my RJ flights, half the GA's call each group, waiting awkwardly for 15 seconds and repeating once or twice when nobody comes for CK, Groups 1, and 2 (usually, I and one other person is the first to board in Group 3; occasionally, a military member boards first).

The other half the time (usually, at my home airport where the GAs know better), the gate agent makes a quick call for CK/military, and then calls groups 1-4 at once. That is when I throw a DYKWIA fit and elbow the CC group 4 people out of my way, fume on FT to complain about an surly GA, and write a prompt complaint to AA to get 500 miles for the insult!

(j/k of course).

I have yet to see how Group N plays out.

gateH15 Nov 8, 2018 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Score8 (Post 30407860)
If I am Group 2, I sometimes approach at Group 1, since I know there isn't a Group 1. BTW, I took a flight on UA yesterday SFO-BOS. The execs at AA ought to watch how its should be done. It was very smooth and the designated lines for Group 1, 2 allowed folks to queue up and kept the rif-raf out of the way. I was an F flyer.

boarding process at UA is the reason I don’t fly that airline. There is no need to line up 1 hour before boarding when you are flying AA. You can get to the gate 2 min before boarding starts and you won’t be behind 100 people who already lined up.

enpremiere Nov 8, 2018 11:35 am

Originally Posted by MarkOK (Post 30408252)
I have yet to see how Group N plays out.

^

wetrat0 Nov 8, 2018 11:45 am

I often marvel at the fact that it would be a simple IT function to show the GA how many people are in each group to allow them to call more than one group at once, yet they don't do this.

Instead, if a single class RJ they call group 1 and act surprised nobody boards. On a 2-class RJ they call group 2 and act surprised that nobody boards (they all got upgraded...).

GWFan Nov 8, 2018 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15 (Post 30408295)

boarding process at UA is the reason I don’t fly that airline. There is no need to line up 1 hour before boarding when you are flying AA. You can get to the gate 2 min before boarding starts and you won’t be behind 100 people who already lined up.

This...this is sarcasm, right?

FlyingEgghead Nov 8, 2018 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by wetrat0 (Post 30408568)
Instead, if a single class RJ they call group 1 and act surprised nobody boards.

I wonder, do those with a paid F/J connecting flight also get group 1 on a Y-only leg on the same ticket?