Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
wow...
Djokison likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by birdiedouble
Where are you flying to on Allegiant? My general rule with them is that I will only fly them if I don't need to be someplace. They are a disaster during any IROPS and you're flying during a peak vacation season with possibility of winter weather disruptions on other flights that could affect yours. A Plan B could be in order.
Connecting on Allegiant is questionable, nonstop flights on them can make sense.
When I lived in Clearwater, FL, it made sense to take the PIE-PIA non-stop to avoid flying out of TPA and having to make a connection both in terms of cost (including seat, baggage, and lav fees) and time (2 hours each way vs 5 1/2)
Edit: Ok, I was kidding about the lav fees
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
Connecting on Allegiant is questionable, nonstop flights on them can make sense.
In my case I was using G4 simply to get to FLL and then taking AA on a separate ticket out of MIA the next morning, so gave myself an overnite between the outbounds. This was obviously not a "connection" as these were completely separate tix and Allegiant was essentially a positioning segment. Of course even an overnite would not have done much if Allegiant had cancelled, but I at least gave myself around 15-16 hours between flights so as to be able to jump on some other carrier to get me to MIA in that instance. I was more interested in getting TO Grand Cayman (clearly not that much getting back to sub-zero temps!) so on the return I only gave myself around 5 hours between the AA and Allegiant flights but by that time the trip objective was essentially achieved so really didn't care if Allegiant was late on the last leg... just as long as I got back to work the next morning.

I probably wouldn't risk anything less than an overnight on an outbound involving Allegiant as the first flight -- or at the very least morning inbound Allegiant and next flight late evening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.