Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Preboarding policy (for passengers with nut / peanut allergies as of 12/12/18)

Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA nut allergic Passenger policy as of 12/12/18.

American Airlines nut allergy policy, aa.com
link

Although we dont serve peanuts, we do serve other nut products (such as warmed nuts) and there may be trace elements of unspecified nut ingredient, including peanut oils, in meals and snacks. Additionally, other customers can bring peanuts or other tree nuts on board.

We cant accommodate requests to not serve certain foods, provide nut buffer zones, or allow you to board early to clean your area (changes 12/12/2018). Our planes are cleaned regularly, but cant guarantee the removal of nut allergens on surfaces or in the air filters. Because of this, cant guarantee you wont be exposed to peanuts or other tree nuts during flight, and we strongly encourage those with allergies to take all necessary medical precautions before flying.
Additionally, as quoted originally by Bloomberg 9 Nov 2018

American Airlines customers with nut allergies who would like to board our flights early to wipe down surfaces may ask to do so at the gate," said American Airlines spokeswoman Michelle Mohr. The policy was first reported by Bloomberg...

...The new policy was included in a filing with the U.S. Transportation Department on November 6. It comes in response to a complaint filed last year by Food Allergy Research & Education and the mother of a child with a dangerous peanut allergy, Bloomberg reported...

The new policy goes into effect December 12 2018 as flight-service manuals are updated. link
NOTE: this thread is a moderated thread, and jokes or comments derogatory to those with bona fide nut allergies will be summarily removed.

Print Wikipost

Preboarding policy (for passengers with nut / peanut allergies as of 12/12/18)

Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Isn't there already a lengthy thread on this?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
I guess my psychosomatic peanut allergy should count too?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I’d gladly welcome the nut allergies boarding early given that on my flight from PHL to SAN a few nights ago, there were dog turds on the jetway upon boarding and the guy in front of me ran right over them with his rollaboard. I was in Zone 1 but it seemed like 30 people boarded before we did along with five dogs. Zone 1 is the new Zone 5.....
flyerbobflyer likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by AA100k
Id gladly welcome the nut allergies boarding early given that on my flight from PHL to SAN a few nights ago, there were dog turds on the jetway upon boarding and the guy in front of me ran right over them with his rollaboard. I was in Zone 1 but it seemed like 30 people boarded before we did along with five dogs. Zone 1 is the new Zone 5.....
is American becoming southwest ??
whats next? Families with kids under 17 board before group 1?
amerocan boarding process is the best in the us right now. I hope that wont change.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
I'm allergic to standing in line waiting to board. When can i board? Immediately after my seat is cleaned by the passengers allergic to nuts??? This is one of the craziest things I've ever heard. And if you need your 125 pound emotional support dog, buy all seats in the row you're in, charter a plane, or drive. So much is getting out of hand.
AA100k likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by samwise6222
One thing I give Delta a big credit is that they make it so easy on your booking that you are allergic to peanuts. If you check that, they won't serve any peanuts during the flight which I appreciate.
A couple years ago I was on a DL SAN-ATL flight shortly before take-off one of the FA announces the BOB food options which included some healthy options with fruit. 30 seconds later the FA comes back on and announces that due to a severe strawberry allergy on board they will only be selling the turkey sandwich. The frustration in her voice was evident.

This all happened while my daughter was eating strawberry yogurt and my son downed a PB&J.

The airline can only do so much, but they can't control what other people bring aboard.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Originally Posted by skunker
A couple years ago I was on a DL SAN-ATL flight shortly before take-off one of the FA announces the BOB food options which included some healthy options with fruit. 30 seconds later the FA comes back on and announces that due to a severe strawberry allergy on board they will only be selling the turkey sandwich. The frustration in her voice was evident.

This all happened while my daughter was eating strawberry yogurt and my son downed a PB&J.

The airline can only do so much, but they can't control what other people bring aboard.
Of course... they can only do so much.

But Delta makes it just so easy compared to any other airlines

Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by samwise6222
One thing I give Delta a big credit is that they make it so easy on your booking that you are allergic to peanuts. If you check that, they won't serve any peanuts during the flight which I appreciate.
American doesnt serve peanuts so there is no need for a box to identify your allergy as is needed on Delta to request a change to standard catering.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:54 pm

Nut allergies are so confusing. Coconuts are a fruit, not nuts. Cashews are seeds, not nuts. And peanuts - again - not nuts.

Wouldn't it be easier to change the way nuts/not nuts are processed (boiled so that the particular proteins aren't "as" activated)?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: AA; Delta GM
On the one hand, I totally respect the fact that some people have such severe nut allergies that they can go into a life-threatening situation if exposed to nut products.

On the other hand, I can't imagine the stress of being in that situation.

Bottom line - I respect that AA is trying to be accommodating. But if there is not a 'buffer zone' I'm not sure how this would help passengers with severe nut allergies. You can't restrict what passengers bring on board in that case.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
I thought this was a joke. But this is a real thing, right?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: AA-ExPlat, Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by thelark
What about deez?
I believe that would be the boarding group right after Bofa...
MIAFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
A very good friend of mine has a daughter that has nut issues, but carries on a plane what she needs for meds.
I understand that those that dont have this problem, may or may not know the extent of what harm can happen
so here is a simple solution for airlines
Remember the times, when you had smoking and non smoking areas on planes (ok so I am old)
Maybe they should introduce allergies zones on the plane, with sealed doors for that section of the plane

(ok just kidding)
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
America(n) is going to the dogs, and the nuts.

Nurse Wratched: "Here are the keys to the asylum".

Patrick McMurphy (chanelling Jack Torrance): "HERE"S JOHNNY!!!).
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
This whole thing makes me laugh - my allergy to peanuts is, as paraphrased from the last allergist I went to in college, "a 15 out of 5 on the scale," yet my whole young life I sat in the middle seat on WN between my brother and father chiefing peanuts without an issue. I guess my ability to refrain from touching random surfaces then licking my hand on airplanes has kept me from ever using an Epipen.

I'm not sure what customer segment AA is going for - drop all but CKs and pick up the nut allergy folk (tongue in cheek)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.