Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Preboarding policy (for passengers with nut / peanut allergies as of 12/12/18)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA nut allergic Passenger policy as of 12/12/18.

American Airlines nut allergy policy, aa.com
link

Although we don’t serve peanuts, we do serve other nut products (such as warmed nuts) and there may be trace elements of unspecified nut ingredient, including peanut oils, in meals and snacks. Additionally, other customers can bring peanuts or other tree nuts on board.

We can’t accommodate requests to not serve certain foods, provide nut “buffer zones,” or allow you to board early to clean your area (changes 12/12/2018). Our planes are cleaned regularly, but can’t guarantee the removal of nut allergens on surfaces or in the air filters. Because of this, can’t guarantee you won’t be exposed to peanuts or other tree nuts during flight, and we strongly encourage those with allergies to take all necessary medical precautions before flying.
Additionally, as quoted originally by Bloomberg 9 Nov 2018

American Airlines customers with nut allergies who would like to board our flights early to wipe down surfaces may ask to do so at the gate," said American Airlines spokeswoman Michelle Mohr. The policy was first reported by Bloomberg...

...The new policy was included in a filing with the U.S. Transportation Department on November 6. It comes in response to a complaint filed last year by Food Allergy Research & Education and the mother of a child with a dangerous peanut allergy, Bloomberg reported...

The new policy goes into effect December 12 2018 as flight-service manuals are updated. link
NOTE: this thread is a moderated thread, and jokes or comments derogatory to those with bona fide nut allergies will be summarily removed.

Print Wikipost

Preboarding policy (for passengers with nut / peanut allergies as of 12/12/18)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jason99
It seems likely that this will be something that gets abused much more than other needs for boarding early.

Which is a shame for people with real nut allergies, because there will suddenly be so many people with nut allergies, that they won't necessarily get to board early.
Like wheelchairs on/dancing off. I'm sure there will be people boarding with "allergies" asking for two bags of peanuts in flight. There's a name for these type of people. Not a polite name.
But that doesn't mean that allergics shouldn't be able to try and eliminate allergens before they board.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by rickg523
Like wheelchairs on/dancing off..
Yes, I love the sudden burst of youthful energy engaged by the sound of the arrival ding.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:50 am

I have a kid who is allergic to all nuts, regardless of type. He only has problems when he ingests but I realize he is "lucky" compared to some other people with nut allergies who can't even be near them. We've been in a "buffer zone" on a flight before (not at my request- apparently someone else was allergic near us, but they did not tell us who or where they were sitting). They asked us to refrain from eating nuts in several rows (maybe 3-4) before the flight took off. It had never occurred to me to wipe down his seat/tray but then again, he has problems with ingestion.

I do think this is ripe for abuse but for those who really do suffer, it could offer them some peace of mind. As to why they get to pre-board, I'm guessing it's to protect their privacy or to allow them ample time to wipe things down to their satisfaction. Worth noting: allergies are a medical condition and are protected by the ADA. Therefore, the airline is required to make reasonable accommodations.

But I really suspect the whole logic behind this is CYA. If the airline is making accommodations for people with nut allergies, including the opportunity to pre-board and clean things yourself, they have less liability if something goes wrong (at least theoretically).
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wanderlust99

But I really suspect the whole logic behind this is CYA.
Bingo!
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:57 am

PreBoard with peanut allergy

since AA is going to start preboarding for people that have peanut allergies, will this require a Dr. note or does everyone now have peanut allergies so they can preboard to get the overhead? Also will all guest with that person be aloud to board?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Lgh34609
since AA is going to start preboarding for people that have peanut allergies, will this require a Dr. note or does everyone now have peanut allergies so they can preboard to get the overhead? Also will all guest with that person be aloud to board?
Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page for information about the new AA policy for those with nut allergies.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 10, 2018 at 12:33 pm
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat/1MM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickg523
Like wheelchairs on/dancing off..
Yes, I love the sudden burst of youthful energy engaged by the sound of the arrival ding.

I refer to MIA-ORD flights as "Miracle Flights". Amazing how many people who pre-board in wheelchairs in MIA are cured during the flight and walk off of the plane in ORD.

Last edited by VonS; Nov 10, 2018 at 11:20 pm Reason: Grammar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.