FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Recent 737 MAX 8 crashes and effects on AA 737 MAX 8s (NOT reaccommodation) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1939333-recent-737-max-8-crashes-effects-aa-737-max-8s-not-reaccommodation.html)

spongenotbob Nov 6, 18 11:11 pm

Recent 737 MAX 8 crashes and effects on AA 737 MAX 8s (NOT reaccommodation)

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...-to-nose-dive/

https://theaircurrent.com/aviation-s...ion-air-crash/

LondonElite Nov 6, 18 11:14 pm

As per FT rules, would you kindly summarise these?

spongenotbob Nov 6, 18 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 30402805)
As per FT rules, would you kindly summarise these?

Faulty AoA reading causes the 737 MAX to automatically and "aggressively" trim nose down while also activating the stick-shaker. Extremely difficult recovery.

Djokison Nov 7, 18 3:11 am

Not exactly AA related, though.

miadukes Nov 7, 18 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Djokison (Post 30403269)
Not exactly AA related, though.

Except that perhaps they have a ton of these out there flying right now.

Science Goy Nov 7, 18 7:42 am

Originally Posted by miadukes (Post 30403522)

Since when is 15 or so planes in a fleet size of nearly a thousand "a ton"? :confused:

Djokison Nov 7, 18 7:44 am

Originally Posted by miadukes (Post 30403522)

If an AD was issued and/or the planes had to be grounded, sure. This is closer to: “oh btw, watch out for this, guys.”

And they hardly have a ton. They have 16 (17?), a whopping, 1.5% of the fleet.

Not to say this might not be a cause for concern. But just posting 2 links regarding the MAX does not an AA thread make.

arlflyer Nov 7, 18 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Djokison (Post 30403849)
[left]If an AD was issued and/or the planes had to be grounded, sure. This is closer to: “oh btw, watch out for this, guys.”

"The bulletin comes after a newly-delivered Lion Air 737 Max crashed off the coast of Indonesia on October 29, killing all aboard. The bulletin is expected to say that Indonesian air safety officials have said that Lion Air flight 610 experienced erroneous angle of attack input."

Sounds like a little more than "Oh, hey, watch out guys" to me.

enpremiere Nov 7, 18 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Djokison (Post 30403849)

If an AD was issued and/or the planes had to be grounded, sure. This is closer to: “oh btw, watch out for this, guys.”

And they hardly have a ton. They have 16 (17?), a whopping, 1.5% of the fleet.

Not to say this might not be a cause for concern. But just posting 2 links regarding the MAX does not an AA thread make.

I beg to differ. The maximum takeoff weight of the 737 MAX 7 is 88.5 tons so 16 * 88.5 leaves us with 1416 tons of 737 MAX which is 1416 too many.

abk Nov 7, 18 10:40 am

Seems like a problem to me as my last flight and my next one are on that plane

Antarius Nov 7, 18 10:49 am

Originally Posted by spongenotbob (Post 30402814)
Extremely difficult recovery.

The bulletin was an FYI-be-cognizant-and-follow-procedure one. I don't think this is a fair characterization though. It is a problem, yes, but if it was extremely difficult to recover and dangerous, IMO, the MAX would be grounded.

2old4coach Nov 7, 18 11:46 am

"Runaway Trim" is a very serious situation. The control pitch is almost impossible to overcome even by 2 crew members. However during training much empasis it placed on proper respone to "runaway trim" Almost all type rating and transition training have a runaway trim problem in the flight simulator.
"737 MAX defect" I would not call it a defect.

Lyon Air is going through a period of explosive growth. Was something missed?

I would have no fear of flying on American airlines new 737 MAX, however I will not be flying on one as I cannot fit in Parkers new 29" pitch seat.
( OFF TOPIC: Thank you Doug "spiderman" Parker. Parker is a big guy. I would love to see him or his staff fly cross county in the back. In fact I think all executives sould be made to fly in coach, to experience the service "enhancements." I think if they did we would have a better coach product.)

arlflyer Nov 7, 18 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by abk (Post 30404454)

Gosh, I hope not...

tbrein Nov 7, 18 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by abk (Post 30404454)

My next two flights are on that plane as well. Big problem for me as well.

Djokison Nov 7, 18 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 30403885)
"The bulletin comes after a newly-delivered Lion Air 737 Max crashed off the coast of Indonesia on October 29, killing all aboard. The bulletin is expected to say that Indonesian air safety officials have said that Lion Air flight 610 experienced erroneous angle of attack input."

Sounds like a little more than "Oh, hey, watch out guys" to me.

That’s your (erroneous) interpretation, then.

This is a heads up, no more, no less. At this point in time there is no reason to believe a MAX flight is any likelier to drop from the sky than any other plane.