FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Boeing 737 MAX 8 crashes and effects on AA 737 MAX 8s (NOT reaccommodation) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1939333-boeing-737-max-8-crashes-effects-aa-737-max-8s-not-reaccommodation.html)

DataPlumber Mar 10, 2019 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 30870654)
Time to take a step back and wait for the facts.

Excellent advise. I am certain it will fall on deaf ears to the chicken little crowd especially now that the news networks are filling dead air with speculation.

CLTUSCAPTIVE Mar 10, 2019 7:48 pm

As a million-mile lifetime flyer on US/AA, I won't be setting foot on any 7M8's. Flying out of CLT, they should be easy to avoid. The causes of the two recent crashes may be coincidences. Or maybe not, no one knows at this point. Why risk it?

spongenotbob Mar 10, 2019 8:19 pm

The MAX is officially GROUNDED in China:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...x-caijing-says

ginmqi Mar 10, 2019 8:30 pm

"Let's wait for the facts"

"China didn't wait for the facts"

I wonder how many will be singing this same tune if the two 737 MAX planes were from AA/SWA/UA and the fatalities had been all american passengers.

Interesting thought experiment, indeed.

ijgordon Mar 10, 2019 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone (Post 30870782)
"China has asked its domestic airlines to ground all 737 Max."

I am more than confident if the aircraft was Chinese made- there would be no action by China.

But there probably would be action by the U.S. What's your point? That China doesn't trust the U.S. (and, I contend, vice versa)? Thanks for that nugget.

WiscAZ Mar 10, 2019 9:11 pm

How does one tell if a flight is on the aircraft? Checking the AA app an upcoming flight is on a 737-800. Is this the same as the 737 MAX 8 or different? Does the app say MAX?

FFMilesJunkie Mar 10, 2019 9:22 pm

Sadly, perception is reality these days. We are a relatively small group of aviation "nerds" who follow the industry closely and look at the reaction here. This crash happened on a Sunday in Africa so the average American never saw the news. Just wait until tomorrow when the Fox and Friends/Today Show/Good Morning America do what they do best: If it bleeds, it leads. Sunday morning probably 95+% of average Americans would think you were speaking a different language if you said 737 Max 8. By tomorrow morning everyone will be calling American, Southwest, etc and asking if their next flight is on a Max 8. This has to be FREAK OUT time at Boeing and the airlines who fly the Max 8. The media will ride this story and force the airlines/FAA to make some really hard decisions, and I fear unfortunately many of those decisions will be based on public opinion and not facts.

I will admit that I'm hesitant to fly on a Max 8 right now and I've been OK flying on a B-17 flying fortress held together with duct tape!

econometrics Mar 10, 2019 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by WiscAZ (Post 30871315)
How does one tell if a flight is on the aircraft? Checking the AA app an upcoming flight is on a 737-800. Is this the same as the 737 MAX 8 or different? Does the app say MAX?

Yes.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...113489468.jpeg

cova Mar 11, 2019 1:58 am

I am currently in Australia. Extensive TV coverage of the ET crash, including CNN International. Passenger breakdown showed a wide range of nationalities. There were 8 Americans on the flight (no Australians). I agree ET is a great airline. This is Boeing's fault. In both crashes the airplanes failed to gain significant altitude. And both went straight into the ground - like they completely lost lift and fell to the ground.

FlyerTalker688786 Mar 11, 2019 2:43 am

I am not sure about one question, so I am going to ask here.

Is it the fault of the B7M8 frame (Boeing) or the fault of LEAP (the engine)? As I have heard the fault starts with the LEAP engine is too big for the frame which ended with a lot of extra software to assist the pilot, and those software is the suspected reason for the loss of control of the aircraft.

Dn10 Mar 11, 2019 4:30 am

Stupid question but is this the same as the Boeing 737-800 passenger? Have that plane this week.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Mar 11, 2019 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Dn10 (Post 30872112)
Stupid question but is this the same as the Boeing 737-800 passenger? Have that plane this week.

No if its a Max it shows a 7M8 (737-800 Max series).

3Cforme Mar 11, 2019 4:44 am

No. The engines are different. The ECAS software (auto pitch control on the MAX) is different. 737-800s have been flown safely by dozens of carriers for two decades.

arlflyer Mar 11, 2019 5:17 am

I immensely respect your perspectives and am appreciative of all that you have contributed over the years, but the only fact I need is that two of these ships have fallen from the sky, and the only stepping back that this aerospace engineer will be doing will be stepping back from the doorway of any MAX for the foreseeable future. I don’t care to become a data point confirming what is now currently a hypothesis.

flyingeph12 Mar 11, 2019 6:00 am

And yet it appears AA has released a statement saying it has “full confidence” in the 737 MAX. Unless AA has facts that none of us are privy to?

The full statement:

We have full confidence in the aircraft and our crew members, who are the best and most experienced in the industry.

American Airlines extends our condolences to the families and friends of those on board Ethiopian Airlines flight 302. At this time there are no facts on the cause of the accident other than news reports,
Need I point out the implication of the part about the crew? Who approved this?