FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Boeing 737 MAX 8 crashes and effects on AA 737 MAX 8s (NOT reaccommodation) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1939333-boeing-737-max-8-crashes-effects-aa-737-max-8s-not-reaccommodation.html)

clubord Jan 15, 20 10:45 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 31953639)
-Boeing sold planes to "3rd world airlines"
-these airlines requested training on the new aircraft type
-the engineers mocked these airlines for being incompetent
-Boeing told them no additional training was needed
-346 people died
-Boeing attempted to shift the blame to the 3rd world airlines and their inexperienced pilots
-this tactic semi-worked until those internal emails and messages were released
-Boeing is in a bad position now because, even if the Max reemerges as the safest plane in history, many of us simply don't trust Boeing at present, and will make sure to avoid Max at all costs
-sometimes we talk about the idea that the general public doesn't care about what plane their flying on; this is different because if/when the Max returns, there will be extensive media coverage detailing which airlines have it, which ones don't, how to avoid Max flights, and why you might want to avoid Max flights

Good, accurate bulletpoints but I feel you give too much credit to the media and their intellect with the technical aspects of this situation. Iím not absolving Boeing of their responsibility here but Iíd be hard-pressed to find anyone with operational knowledge or experience to say the media has done a pretty good job with this so far.

moondog Jan 15, 20 11:05 am

Originally Posted by clubord (Post 31953718)
Good, accurate bulletpoints but I feel you give too much credit to the media and their intellect with the technical aspects of this situation. Iím not absolving Boeing of their responsibility here but Iíd be hard-pressed to find anyone with operational knowledge or experience to say the media has done a pretty good job with this so far.

The accuracy of the media isn't so important with respect to public opinion. As we all know, they can provide wrong information, and people still eat it up. I predict this will become a big deal for the airlines that operate Maxes because they will be at a competitive disadvantage if the general public receives daily reminders to avoid flying Max.

ijgordon Jan 15, 20 11:42 am

Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 31953298)
True itís certainly possible that the sims never would have produced a similar inflight failure, however the arrogance of Boeing is really the alarming part.

Fair enough, I don't disagree with that.

JDiver Jan 17, 20 2:11 pm

Boeing addresses new 737 MAX software issue that could keep plane grounded longer, by David Shepardson, 17 Jan 2020, Reuterís ó link

In par:

Boeing Co (BA.N) said on Friday it is addressing a new software issue discovered in Iowa last weekend during a technical review of the proposed update to the grounded Boeing 737 MAX, a development that could further delay the planeís return to service.

ďWe are making necessary updates,Ē Boeing said in a statement. Officials at the planemaker said the issue relates to a software power-up monitoring function that verifies some system monitors are operating correctly..

USFlyerUS Jan 22, 20 9:23 pm

With the latest news from Boeing that we're looking at likely another six months of grounding, what do we think the possibility is of an outright cancellation of the remaining 7M8 orders in favor of more A321neos? I'm not advocating for this necessarily, just curious what we think might happen at this point.

AeRoSpaceman Jan 22, 20 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS (Post 31983707)
With the latest news from Boeing that we're looking at likely another six months of grounding, what do we think the possibility is of an outright cancellation of the remaining 7M8 orders in favor of more A321neos? I'm not advocating for this necessarily, just curious what we think might happen at this point.

That's a good question. IMO I think they should stick with the Max. Reason being that there is a huge backorder for the 321neo's and they would not be able to backfill the fleet with those by the time the MAX get's approved. Just opinion here.

USA_flyer Jan 23, 20 7:41 am

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS (Post 31983707)

Unlikely IMO. American will get a sweatheart deal to keep their order intact.

IADCAflyer Jan 23, 20 9:02 am

Over 10,000 flights cancelled in Q4 owing to MAX. I hear there is a cash payment in the works for AA. How big it is going to be will (I'm sure) be quite confidential.

nk15 Jan 23, 20 9:05 am

The Punxsutawney groundhog came out of his hole today, saw his shadow, and confirmed, another six months of grounding for the MAX...:p

Half an hour later came back out, and said "Phuk-et", "make it permanent", "there is no way I am ever getting on that thing"Ö.:p

donotblink Jan 23, 20 11:54 am

Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman (Post 31984017)
That's a good question. IMO I think they should stick with the Max. Reason being that there is a huge backorder for the 321neo's and they would not be able to backfill the fleet with those by the time the MAX get's approved. Just opinion here.

I'd advocate for more A321s of any kind. The fuselage is wider making it a more comfortable plane in general.

ijgordon Jan 23, 20 11:58 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer (Post 31985270)
Over 10,000 flights cancelled in Q4 owing to MAX. I hear there is a cash payment in the works for AA. How big it is going to be will (I'm sure) be quite confidential.

I'm sure the amount will be disclosed in AA's quarterly filings, or at least it should be discernable (even in rough terms) from its financial statements.

Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman (Post 31984017)

True about the 321 backlog, although at some point that equation changes if MAX deliveries continue to get delayed. I think it's going to take like 2 years to deliver the MAXes that have already been produced and are sitting in Boeing employee parking lots.

bchandler02 Jan 23, 20 1:16 pm

I really have to wonder - what if the MAX doesnt make it back in the air ever? Is Boeing just out for what they have built, or could they convert them to 737-800s and at least recover some loss?

QtownDave Jan 23, 20 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by bchandler02 (Post 31986249)
I really have to wonder - what if the MAX doesnt make it back in the air ever? Is Boeing just out for what they have built, or could they convert them to 737-800s and at least recover some loss?

I think thatís a virtual impossibility.

DenverBrian Jan 23, 20 2:42 pm

Maybe the MAXes could be converted to fire tankers or something. Donate them to organizations worldwide. Restart the -800 line.

Very few good options for Boeing at this point. But they made their bed...

JDiver Jan 23, 20 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian (Post 31986596)
Maybe the MAXes could be converted to fire tankers or something. Donate them to organizations worldwide. Restart the -800 line.

Very few good options for Boeing at this point. But they made their bed...

That is not going to happen.