FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Boeing 737 MAX 8 crashes and effects on AA 737 MAX 8s (NOT reaccommodation) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1939333-boeing-737-max-8-crashes-effects-aa-737-max-8s-not-reaccommodation.html)

GaryZ Nov 13, 2018 9:00 am

Originally Posted by jk88usa (Post 30407714)

that is an extremely dramatic way of saying the FAA now requires you to put the 3 printed pages Boeing Issued at the front of your flight manuals. Those 3 pages are simply a reminder on procedure that is included later in the manual...

Maybe...otoh the mere fact this critical information was apparently omitted means current pilots will have never been trained on procedures to follow in the case of a failure. Would have probably been best for Boeing to ground the entire MAX fleet and work out all of the issues.

enpremiere Nov 13, 2018 9:56 am

Originally Posted by GaryZ (Post 30425108)
Would have probably been best for Boeing to ground the entire MAX fleet and work out all of the issues.

I'd say about ten years of that would make me quite happy.

GaryZ Nov 18, 2018 6:07 pm

Dennis Tajer, a long time AA pilot who flies the 737 MAX and is the spokesperson for APA, said: "Boeing broke his trust..."
Me, next month when I fly the beast, will try to engage the flight crew (if possible) as to whether they aware of MCAS and if they know about STAB TRIM and the cutoff switch

asf-07 Nov 18, 2018 6:35 pm

an engineer I know who works for WN laughed it off and said their pilots knew all about it. so who knows.

DCP2016 Nov 18, 2018 7:17 pm

Out of caution, AA should ground all of their 737 MAX for at least 20 years, every other airline can fly them, only AA needs to ground them. ;)

cova Mar 10, 2019 5:48 am

With the 2nd crash, if Boeing doesn't ground the aircraft, I certainly hope that AA takes it out of service and delays future deliveries. I will not be booking any 7M8 flights on AA.

FFMilesJunkie Mar 10, 2019 5:55 am

Originally Posted by cova (Post 30868465)
With the 2nd crash, if Boeing doesn't ground the aircraft, I certainly hope that AA takes it out of service and delays future deliveries. I will not be booking any 7M8 flights on AA.

I just started a thread in Omni to discuss the general concern about the Max 8: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni...-concerns.html

I was already a little nervous about the Max 8 after the Lion Air crash a couple months ago. Boeing has a serious issue on its hands now. May be a major design flaw with the engines and center of gravity. Or maybe just needs a total redesign of the flight control software. Either way, we may see a total grounding of the aircraft type.

IADCAflyer Mar 10, 2019 6:17 am

The optics of this look really bad and I'm betting there are some full freakout sessions taking place in Seattle and Chicago today.

Tilto007 Mar 10, 2019 6:18 am

Anyone who has flown this plane on the densified AA version knows how horrible this plane is.Now that it is proving to be unsafe also makes avoiding this plane an easy decision.Unfortunately MIA has so many of this type that it will not be easy.

SouthernCross Mar 10, 2019 7:20 am

While the safety issues are clearly very important, I’m afraid it will distract from the still very relevant densification issues. Parker can point to the safety issues and say “See, that’s why folks are avoiding this aircraft.” and steam forward with densification.

cmd320 Mar 10, 2019 7:21 am

Originally Posted by cova (Post 30868465)

Agreed. The configuration of the aircraft is bad enough. I don't need to worry about the airworthiness of it as well. The 737 has been limped along for far too long.

IADCAflyer Mar 10, 2019 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Tilto007 (Post 30868546)
Anyone who has flown this plane on the densified AA version knows how horrible this plane is.Now that it is proving to be unsafe also makes avoiding this plane an easy decision.Unfortunately MIA has so many of this type that it will not be easy.

How is it proving to be unsafe? There hasn't been a final report on either crash to definitively say what the direct cause was.

GaryZ Mar 10, 2019 7:55 am

This topic has been addressed elsewhere on FT, so don't want to elaborate here other than to note another one of the brand new ones just went down...

Tilto007 Mar 10, 2019 8:00 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer (Post 30868728)
How is it proving to be unsafe? There hasn't been a final report on either crash to definitively say what the direct cause was.

2 crashes of brand new planes is enough "proof" for me.Please find any other instance where 2 new planes of a certain type have crashed within months of certification for no apparent explanation.I am sure that they will be safe for you but not for me until they figure out what is going on.

IADCAflyer Mar 10, 2019 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Tilto007 (Post 30868785)
2 crashes of brand new planes is enough "proof" for me.Please find any other instance where 2 new planes of a certain type have crashed within months of certification for no apparent explanation.I am sure that they will be safe for you but not for me until they figure out what is going on.

The 727 had five crashes within the first two years of EIS. Any more stupid questions?