Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Program Changes as of Jan 2019 and EXP EQD Requirement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage program changes have been announced, to be implemented 1 January 2019. In part:

AAdvantage® program updates

What’s new (link)

2019 AAdvantage® program updates

We’re introducing a few updates effective January 1, 2019, for AAdvantage® members, including new qualification requirements for AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status and extra rewards Executive Platinum members can choose.

Additionally, we’re changing how you earn Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) on American and select oneworld® airlines, and what you earn when flying on special fares (such as bulk or consolidator fares) and exception tickets (cases when ticket/fare details are unavailable).

Executive Platinum qualification and rewards

The Elite Qualifying Dollar (EQD) requirement for AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status is increasing from $12,000 EQDs to $15,000 EQDs for the 2020 membership year. (You’ll need to earn $15,000 EQD in 2019 to qualify for Executive Platinum for the Status year beginning 1 Feb 2020.)

NOTE: see Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019 thread on credit card EQD reductions
Upon qualification for Executive Platinum status, members who reach 150,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs), 200,000 EQMs and 250,000 EQMs can choose a reward.

Reach 150,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Gold status

Reach 200,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Platinum status

Reach 250,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Platinum status

You can track your progress toward reaching these reward levels in your account. Once you reach these goals, your reward choices will be available in your wallet.

Earning Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs)

The EQMs you earn on select oneworld® airlines are increasing to be aligned with what you earn when flying on an American-marketed flight. (NOTE: affects JBA one world airlines only)

British Airways
Finnair
Iberia
Japan Airlines

The EQMs earned on American-marketed flights on fares booked in “Y” are decreasing from 1.5 EQMs to 1.0 EQMs per mile flown to be more in line with the ticket value.

Earning on special fare tickets

Earning on special fare tickets

We’re adjusting the award miles, class of service bonus, EQDs and EQMs to match the value of the ticket for select booking codes for travel on American-marketed flights on these ticket types:

Special fares (such as bulk and consolidator fare tickets)
Earning when ticket/fare details are unavailable
In some cases what you earn on these tickets is increasing and in other cases it’s decreasing.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Program Changes as of Jan 2019 and EXP EQD Requirement

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by 355F1
An example for all wanting to know:

This is the most lucrative and comfy MR, as it is in J.

This is available all the way through June 15 and good from PHX.

Done through AARP to BA.com.

Upgrading a leg to F costs 22.5-25k Avios per leg.

Cost $2,761 +$103 for Indian VISA
EQMs: 39,768
EQDs: $4,972
RDMs: 48,720 as an EXP

Paying $.59/EQD & $.07/EQM.
Brother, I just did this flight from SAN in PE for $1600. It was quite an earner. However, whether its $1600 or almost $3000 in J, its also 4 days of your life just to do a turn around mileage run. If you were to compute what you are worth per hour, it makes the cost and sacrifice seem a bit more. So while I support this mileage run, you can add a free stop over in London and why not stay a few days in Bombay? Otherwise, it is quite a chore IMHO.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
An example for all wanting to know:

This is the most lucrative and comfy MR, as it is in J.

This is available all the way through June 15 and good from PHX.

Done through AARP to BA.com.

Upgrading a leg to F costs 22.5-25k Avios per leg.

Cost $2,761 +$103 for Indian VISA
EQMs: 39,768
EQDs: $4,972
RDMs: 48,720 as an EXP

Paying $.59/EQD & $.07/EQM.
and hopefully you used the Chase BA Visa card to save another 10% ?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:32 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by billgrates3
and hopefully you used the Chase BA Visa card to save another 10% ?
That is the price after the 10% off.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold

That is the price after the 10% off.
Well, crap. a few weeks ago I booked TPA-MIA-LHR-BOM RT thru AARP in Biz for $3420 on on my Chase BA card. You're telling me I missed chance to save 10%, or is that automatic?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:16 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Well, crap. a few weeks ago I booked TPA-MIA-LHR-BOM RT thru AARP in Biz for $3420 on on my Chase BA card. You're telling me I missed chance to save 10%, or is that automatic?
you have to enter CHASEBA2018 In the Promo box.

It isnt automatically applied.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
You didn't miss anything because you have an AA operated flight from TPA-MIA so the 10% off wouldn't have worked anyway. That should make you feel better.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:07 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by zabes64
You didn't miss anything because you have an AA operated flight from TPA-MIA so the 10% off wouldn't have worked anyway. That should make you feel better.
Ahh yes. It has to be on all BA metal.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by zabes64
But if I'd known, I could have booked TPA-MIA-TPA separately. That probably wouldn't have raised the total cost by $340. Oh, well.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MPC Silver, IHG Platinum
Sucks! I have a trip planned in Jan which was putting in EXP!! :-(

Wonder if I should ask for the EXP challenge and try to achieve it before Dec!
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
But if I'd known, I could have booked TPA-MIA-TPA separately. That probably wouldn't have raised the total cost by $340. Oh, well.
yes but you lose your ability to check bags through and MIA baggage is slow.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan

yes but you lose your ability to check bags through and MIA baggage is slow.
True that.

But I suspected -- and have now confirmed -- the code is only good flights in 2018 and mine's in Feb. So it's all moot after all that.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Uhh, what's going on with you guys? What's wrong with FF program? I don't like change FF program. How embarrassed I am.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
Free agent and loyalty rants are the best. Group 8 here we come!
Or just pay a few extra bucks and get priority boarding. Problem solved. @:-)
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by ryan182
And yet for the past couple years they have followed their competitors (primarily DL) religiously. Yes I'm sure they have a cost/benefit internally but that was my point, competitive pressures will outweigh those internal costs but when they get the opportunity (aka DL/UA does it first) AA will happily follow suit. To be clear, this isn't necessarily a complaint; minimizing costs in response to changes in the competitive landscape is a logical thing to do. I'm just not naive enough to think that this, or any other change, is going to be to my benefit. When the next economic downturn occurs and the airlines are hurting we will be courted again, until then they will give as little as possible.
The irony here is that not cutting could be used a selling point to make a case for booking them vs the other guy. WN does it all the time with the free bags, no change fees, etc. I think it's been quite successful for them. They're probably gaining business even with the higher costs vs the others who charge for the same thing.

The bottom line is that none of them want to take the risk of upsetting shareholders who are counting beans and only care about this quarter's profits vs a longer view. Standing out and being different isn't viewed as a plus but a cost, and that's a big problem IMO.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Thought I had it all planned out after my return back to SYD... my last work flight for the year.

~100,200 EQM on 10 segments ... YES! Amazing. EQD @ $12,150 ... oh wait. It's now $15k. ugh.
JDiver, crackjack and dciolli like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.