Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Program Changes as of Jan 2019 and EXP EQD Requirement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage program changes have been announced, to be implemented 1 January 2019. In part:

AAdvantage® program updates

What’s new (link)

2019 AAdvantage® program updates

We’re introducing a few updates effective January 1, 2019, for AAdvantage® members, including new qualification requirements for AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status and extra rewards Executive Platinum members can choose.

Additionally, we’re changing how you earn Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) on American and select oneworld® airlines, and what you earn when flying on special fares (such as bulk or consolidator fares) and exception tickets (cases when ticket/fare details are unavailable).

Executive Platinum qualification and rewards

The Elite Qualifying Dollar (EQD) requirement for AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status is increasing from $12,000 EQDs to $15,000 EQDs for the 2020 membership year. (You’ll need to earn $15,000 EQD in 2019 to qualify for Executive Platinum for the Status year beginning 1 Feb 2020.)

NOTE: see Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019 thread on credit card EQD reductions
Upon qualification for Executive Platinum status, members who reach 150,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs), 200,000 EQMs and 250,000 EQMs can choose a reward.

Reach 150,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Gold status

Reach 200,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Platinum status

Reach 250,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Platinum status

You can track your progress toward reaching these reward levels in your account. Once you reach these goals, your reward choices will be available in your wallet.

Earning Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs)

The EQMs you earn on select oneworld® airlines are increasing to be aligned with what you earn when flying on an American-marketed flight. (NOTE: affects JBA one world airlines only)

British Airways
Finnair
Iberia
Japan Airlines

The EQMs earned on American-marketed flights on fares booked in “Y” are decreasing from 1.5 EQMs to 1.0 EQMs per mile flown to be more in line with the ticket value.

Earning on special fare tickets

Earning on special fare tickets

We’re adjusting the award miles, class of service bonus, EQDs and EQMs to match the value of the ticket for select booking codes for travel on American-marketed flights on these ticket types:

Special fares (such as bulk and consolidator fare tickets)
Earning when ticket/fare details are unavailable
In some cases what you earn on these tickets is increasing and in other cases it’s decreasing.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Program Changes as of Jan 2019 and EXP EQD Requirement

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
Yes, by operating airlines. AA is actually harder to obtain than UA and DL now due to the lack of INTL address exemption. Getting CX DM is ultra difficult, and it serves no purpose if one looks to have LT status.
even harder with CX Diamond is if you start out as Green, you have to qualify for Silver, then requalify for Silver, then qualify for Gold, then requalify for Gold before finally qualifying for Diamond!
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
AA is still not competitive with DL with partner EQD on premium economy fares. DL gives 30% on VS/AF PE, AA gives 20% on BA PE.
With DL’s generous MQD policy, the MQDs are no problem, it’s the lack of 2X on most J fares that slows down my MQMs if I went the Delta route.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by swingaling

You’re conflating two separate issues and using imprecise terminology.

You mentioned 001 stock in your previous post. Plating is 100% irrelevant to AAdvantage earnings.

Essentially, all that matters is marketing carrier, fare basis and operating carrier. It doesn’t matter if it’s a 001 or a 016 or a 157 ticket. As long as it’s marketed and operated by an appropriate carrier (AA, BA, AY, CX, etc), it will earn EQD and EQM with AAdvantage.

When flying an AY marketed flight and crediting to AA, you earn based on the AY partner earning chart on aa.com. Regardless of which airline issues the ticket.
+1. Foxberg. Let's put it this way:

1. AA eTicket: AA Codeshare OPERATED by AY/Any OneWorld Carrier -> Fare-based.
2. AA eTicket: AY Code operated by AY -> Distance-based.
3. AY eTicket: AA Codeshare OPERATED by AY/Any Oneworld Carrier -> Fare-based.
4. AY eTicket: AY Code operated by AY -> Distance-based.

Originally Posted by foxberg
If I buy AY flight on 001 stock then I get credits according to AA structure.
If I have to guess, that is because it is AA codeshare OPERATED by AY on your 001 ticket.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012

even harder with CX Diamond is if you start out as Green, you have to qualify for Silver, then requalify for Silver, then qualify for Gold, then requalify for Gold before finally qualifying for Diamond!
When I find a program with no LT status, I wouldn't even look at the other details lol. But you are right, you essentially have to climb the ladder step-by-step.

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012

With DL’s generous MQD policy, the MQDs are no problem, it’s the lack of 2X on most J fares that slows down my MQMs if I went the Delta route.
Problem with DL is similar to BA:

SkyMiles are awful. 21-day advance policy. Much more dynamic than UA/AA(Although they are getting there). If you get on MU/CZ Premium fares, you have to go through China Airspace and PVG/CAN are not pleasant in terms of transit and ground experience. If you look at CDG/AMS to connect, then it is better, but their J lounges are not really that good to begin with. Lackluster food options,
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:28 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
Many of the DL amex $250k spenders are small business owners who can put that much on the card and are not 1%ers. The cards are also cumulative so if you have business and personal they count towards the limit.
I certainly understand that but the comment is still not appropriate let alone accurate. It is a spending level unattainable for 99.5% of Americans.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
I certainly understand that but the comment is still not appropriate let alone accurate. It is a spending level unattainable for 99.5% of Americans.
The exact same statement could be made regarding achieving top tier airline status, on any US airline, even without EQD requirements; unattainable by 99.5% of Americans.

Regards

Last edited by scubadu; Nov 7, 2018 at 11:04 am Reason: Spelling
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:45 am
Suspended

Bizarre.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:14 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by kiowavt
And me. Seriously. Likely use it soon if so.

An example for all wanting to know:

This is the most lucrative and comfy MR, as it is in J.

This is available all the way through June 15 and good from PHX.

Done through AARP to BA.com.

Upgrading a leg to F costs 22.5-25k Avios per leg.

Cost $2,761 +$103 for Indian VISA
EQMs: 39,768
EQDs: $4,972
RDMs: 48,720 as an EXP

Paying $.59/EQD & $.07/EQM.
econometrics and The_Just like this.

Last edited by 355F1; Nov 7, 2018 at 12:38 pm
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
don’t understand the relevance of that figure.. One RT flight per quarter is also unattainable in some sense for 99.5% of Americans so we could’ve taking about Gold EQM eligibility requirements.

Last edited by beachfan; Nov 7, 2018 at 9:42 pm
Old Nov 7, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: American Platinum
I see on the American web site under "Progress to Platinum Pro (YTD)" where I've got $12,299 EQD's. My last flight on American was about a week ago. So I wonder why I'm still a Platinum Pro instead of Executive Platinum? Has the 15,000 EQD requirement already taken effect? Do you have to qualify under more than one criterion (I haven't met EQM or EQS requirements)? Or is American likely just slow in updating my status? Thanks, and sorry for the newbie question.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jethro123
I see on the American web site under "Progress to Platinum Pro (YTD)" where I've got $12,299 EQD's. My last flight on American was about a week ago. So I wonder why I'm still a Platinum Pro instead of Executive Platinum? Has the 15,000 EQD requirement already taken effect? Do you have to qualify under more than one criterion (I haven't met EQM or EQS requirements)? Or is American likely just slow in updating my status? Thanks, and sorry for the newbie question.
You need to meet the EQD _and_ either the EQM or EQS for each status level, just having the EQD or the EQM/S does not count.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Jethro123
$ + butt in seat. Not just $.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: American Platinum
Well, crap, looks like I'll be a lowly Platinum member in 2019. Thanks blitzkriegs and ryan.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
The exact same statement could be made regarding achieving top tier airline status, on any US airline, even without EQD requirements; unattainable by 99.5% of Americans.

Regards
It could be made but it would be inaccurate. It is attainable for many at say the 95% threshold.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Bizarre.
That statistic or the point? The latter was made to try to keep some tether to reality in this thread. Apparently not possible on this topic but it is important to keep trying!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.