Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Program Changes as of Jan 2019 and EXP EQD Requirement

Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage program changes have been announced, to be implemented 1 January 2019. In part:

AAdvantage® program updates

What’s new (link)

2019 AAdvantage® program updates

We’re introducing a few updates effective January 1, 2019, for AAdvantage® members, including new qualification requirements for AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status and extra rewards Executive Platinum members can choose.

Additionally, we’re changing how you earn Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) on American and select oneworld® airlines, and what you earn when flying on special fares (such as bulk or consolidator fares) and exception tickets (cases when ticket/fare details are unavailable).

Executive Platinum qualification and rewards

The Elite Qualifying Dollar (EQD) requirement for AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status is increasing from $12,000 EQDs to $15,000 EQDs for the 2020 membership year. (You’ll need to earn $15,000 EQD in 2019 to qualify for Executive Platinum for the Status year beginning 1 Feb 2020.)

NOTE: see Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019 thread on credit card EQD reductions
Upon qualification for Executive Platinum status, members who reach 150,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs), 200,000 EQMs and 250,000 EQMs can choose a reward.

Reach 150,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Gold status

Reach 200,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Platinum status

Reach 250,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Platinum status

You can track your progress toward reaching these reward levels in your account. Once you reach these goals, your reward choices will be available in your wallet.

Earning Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs)

The EQMs you earn on select oneworld® airlines are increasing to be aligned with what you earn when flying on an American-marketed flight. (NOTE: affects JBA one world airlines only)

British Airways
Finnair
Iberia
Japan Airlines

The EQMs earned on American-marketed flights on fares booked in “Y” are decreasing from 1.5 EQMs to 1.0 EQMs per mile flown to be more in line with the ticket value.

Earning on special fare tickets

Earning on special fare tickets

We’re adjusting the award miles, class of service bonus, EQDs and EQMs to match the value of the ticket for select booking codes for travel on American-marketed flights on these ticket types:

Special fares (such as bulk and consolidator fare tickets)
Earning when ticket/fare details are unavailable
In some cases what you earn on these tickets is increasing and in other cases it’s decreasing.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Program Changes as of Jan 2019 and EXP EQD Requirement

Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:38 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rbAA
Also need the minimum 4 BA metal segments in there. Hardly worth it unless you're doing it anyway. Better to get lounge access in another way. I fly mainly international trips so I'm covered even with LT PLT, though I will miss the FC lounges especially at HKG and the QF at LAX. When I have domestic trips, I can use my BE points for day passes, or just hang out at the gate.
Yeah, thanks for mentioning that- sorry for glossing over that part. We already have the BA flights for this membership year. We go to Europe at least twice a year (we go in Jan and Feb- the timing goes back to the days when a) SWU expired at the end of Feb and b) SWUs could clear at booking ). Earlier this year, and again next year, we booked BA Holidays trips due to good PE fares, LHR flights from SFO and SJC and availability of Avios upgrades to business (and have enough Avios from Chase Sapphire and Emex PLT).

I looked at my spreadsheet after I got home and, due to a couple of late-add SFO-MIA RT I fares, we will actually have 15K+ EQD this year (on about $11.9K spend) and 121K EQM. However, anything above the 12.1K and 104K we have now doesn't matter. So for this year, at least, seems a no-brainer to credit these SFO-MIA flights to BA. It's 140TP each way, so that makes 560 for both trips.

Then, next year we have a combination of {SFO,SJC}-LHR-{HEL,BI)}. So about 8 flights (really 9 with a short LAX-SJC lag on AA, but 8 with BA). If we credit just the short intra-Europr legs on BA, that's our 4 flights. And they wouldn't add much in EQD to AA. That gets us BA Silver pretty much for nothing. And that gives FL access in locations we visit (JFK, MIA, LAX, DFW). I see no reason not to do it this year.

Going forward, if I think we won't make EXP, still seems to make sense to push this to BA Gold (6 J transcons at about $1100 each would do it), and go with LT Plat rather than try for Plat Pro- although that may be possible as well.

Going forward, need to evaluate (and model) each year in advance.

Also, our BA membership years are offset by 6 months (Nov. 8, May 8). I thought about trying to change it (which I've read is impossible, but this may actually be better for combined status as we don't both need it).

What I don't know - if my membership year is Nov. 9, 2018 - Nov. 8, 2019 and I qualify in, say, Feb 2019, do I have status just through Nov. 2019, or Nov. 2020 (as would happen with AA)?

Originally Posted by rbAA
There are still inexpensive ways to get 15k EQD's and 150k EQM's with CX and BA PE fares, and one routing that CX offers a decent schedule on, costs $965 RT, and would require only 4.5 RT's (pushing the return into the next year of course,) and generates 112k EQM's and 165k RDM's. I wonder how much rev AA generates from those miles. Total cost of $4421 and no need for SWU's.
Oh, it can be done with the right flights. We want to go to the places we want to go, though, rather than going to the places with good deals. We do do the BA PE fares, but a lot of our stuff is domestic and we have to factor those in.

Cheers.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:47 am

Nothing additional at tiers after 250K EQM.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Did you type that with a straight face? A quarter of a million dollars is not that much? A person who is barely in the 1% does not have that much in total income after taxes. SMH
Many of the DL amex $250k spenders are small business owners who can put that much on the card and are not 1%ers. The cards are also cumulative so if you have business and personal they count towards the limit.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by fotographer
Just wondering, why didnit AA consider a new level for their new requirements.. something like EXP pro? or EXP look at me or EXP I spent too much?
Was thinking about as well... Just ad an new level between EXP and CK with the new requirements and sweeten the pot with a perk like six SWU with two being confirmed upgardes at booking. Also, why just tinker with the EXP Tier? Every tier should have seen an increase perhaps.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
I'm not sure why there is little love for lower spend EXP - the costs to the airline aren't that great. Maybe the cost of a couple copay + miles on SWU flights plus the cost of first class lounge access. Could be trying to purge low RASM flyers from the system but there aren't that many out there. I suppose we will never know. What's a better program AA Plat Pro or DL Plat? Each would appear to be comparably easy to reach. Non-hub captive flyer here so that's not an issue.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:36 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by brp
Oh, it can be done with the right flights. We want to go to the places we want to go, though, rather than going to the places with good deals. We do do the BA PE fares, but a lot of our stuff is domestic and we have to factor those in.

Cheers.
I'm always looking for the best alternatives, since I'm starting out in BKK. So, still going where we need to be, just need to position to the starting point, i.e. March/April trip back to the US is taking advantage of the PEK-LAX I fare that AA dropped to $1300. We'll do a few days on the ground in China on our way to PEK.

I had looked at BA GGL but then came to the realization, I'd have to fly on BA to take advantage of most of the swag they were offering. Pass on that. Sounds like you've got the better solution for your travels.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
For me, likely doesn't make sense to continue with AA (with Lifetime 1K). I am not sure if these changes are best for AA.

I earn about $16K EQD (includes $6K from CC) and around 140K EQM. About 1/2 the trips I might not do if it wasn't for the FF programs.

Likely not worth it to add $2K to $5K spend to get me up to to $15K (assuming I still do the $50K CC to get $3K EQD).

I am not getting upgraded on any significant flights on AA at this time (except short flights at off peak times). So main benefit as EXP is free changes to rewards.

I traveled this past 4 day weekend to west coast via ORD, Upgraded on DCA-ORD flights - one in advance, one at gate. For the gate one, I was #1 on the upgrade list and got the one upgrade seat on a A319. Longer flights I was #2 and #1 on the upgrade list - but no upgrades cleared. So what is the point. Even if I am #1 or #2 on the list - I am still not getting upgraded. Although for peak flights to DFW, I can be down at #15 on the list.

So here is the plan I am looking at: Based at DCA/IAD. Have UA LT 1K, AA LT Gold.

1. Switch most all travel back to UA (with LT 1K). Travel only AA for nonstop short routes North/South on the East Coast with AA Gold status.. UA is best for International from IAD. And better reward availability.

2. Move CC spend to my UA CCs. Likely cancel AA Club card and Barclay Silver card. Just keep original base AA Citi card.

Flew on a newly configured high density 738 this weekend. Exit rows were OK, but F looked bad. Not sure if I want an upgrade (over exit row) on the new configurations.

The net - AA will lose over $10K revenue and the revenue from about 250K worth of CC purchased miles. (including bonuses added).

But I may not give up Barclay card - simply to get the PIN card feature - not available on other US credit cards.

Last edited by cova; Nov 6, 2018 at 4:52 pm
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:48 pm

Location: Rarely in one place long. Vancouver, WA when that happens.
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, AA LifePlat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Dmd, gave up on Hilton
Likely means just buying seats on any airline. To make it I would have to buy so many high end seats it defeats the purpose of having ExPlat.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, AA LifePlat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Dmd, gave up on Hilton
Originally Posted by BillBurn
Between increasing the EQD requirement to 15K and eliminating the EQD bonuses on the Barclays cards, AA definitely appears to be trying to weed out a lot of low spending EXPs. I wonder what impact this will have on the overall # of EXPs in 2020. Could be good news for those EXPs that remain in terms of upgrade competition, service levels, etc. ... or not.
We all thought that last time, when the EQM and EQD arrived. Now I get fewer upgrades, and later, dropping the value. And then this? Might as well move miles elsewhere.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by catcher1
Hey, I want to know too!
And me. Seriously. Likely use it soon if so.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Dr-Fly4Free
THIS IS OVER FOR ME: I will burn my 1 million plus miles that I have accumulated, ENJOY the "Platinum for Life privileges" whenever I can afford to fly AA (and until they remove the Plat-4-Life status); and just go for the CHEAPEST AIRLINE that takes me where I need to go. -LOYALTY is supposed to be a TWO-WAY thing, AA is not loyal to those of us that have been flying with them for more than 3 decades, why should I continue to be loyal to them anymore?

This is my last Executive Platinum Year, and kiss-good-by.

It was nice meeting you AA, but THIS IS OVER FOR ME,

Sincerely yours,

Dr. Vargas.
Ex-Loyal Executive Platinum Member.

This might be my favorite post in a long time! Can anyone help me with what I should be most impressed with? Is it million miles accumulated, “Dr,” or something else??
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by DataPlumber

This might be my favorite post in a long time! Can anyone help me with what I should be most impressed with? Is it million miles accumulated, “Dr,” or something else??
I think that it’s the emotion that the reader can truly feel with these breakup notes left for AA. Public declarations of unhappiness over that fragile unrequited bond with AA are just so rare these days.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
AA is still not competitive with DL with partner EQD on premium economy fares. DL gives 30% on VS/AF PE, AA gives 20% on BA PE.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
The ALL CAPS.

I've always said that everybody should evaluate their travel vendor relationships (hotel, air, rental car) every year. It's ok to make a change. When the 500-milers upgrade priority changed, I went from being AA EXP to BA Silver + DL Platinum (in three weeks) + WN A-List. Not as many perks, but much more flexibility for less total spend.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
I believe *A earns by operating airlines, instead of marketing airlines, but I might be wrong as I don't fly UA unless IRROPS.

As others mentioned, it's the general trend of domestic airlines now. I am still grateful it won't be as hard as getting CX DM....
Yes, by operating airlines. AA is actually harder to obtain than UA and DL now due to the lack of INTL address exemption. Getting CX DM is ultra difficult, and it serves no purpose if one looks to have LT status.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.