Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Program Changes as of Jan 2019 and EXP EQD Requirement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage program changes have been announced, to be implemented 1 January 2019. In part:

AAdvantage® program updates

What’s new (link)

2019 AAdvantage® program updates

We’re introducing a few updates effective January 1, 2019, for AAdvantage® members, including new qualification requirements for AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status and extra rewards Executive Platinum members can choose.

Additionally, we’re changing how you earn Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) on American and select oneworld® airlines, and what you earn when flying on special fares (such as bulk or consolidator fares) and exception tickets (cases when ticket/fare details are unavailable).

Executive Platinum qualification and rewards

The Elite Qualifying Dollar (EQD) requirement for AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status is increasing from $12,000 EQDs to $15,000 EQDs for the 2020 membership year. (You’ll need to earn $15,000 EQD in 2019 to qualify for Executive Platinum for the Status year beginning 1 Feb 2020.)

NOTE: see Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019 thread on credit card EQD reductions
Upon qualification for Executive Platinum status, members who reach 150,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs), 200,000 EQMs and 250,000 EQMs can choose a reward.

Reach 150,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Gold status

Reach 200,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Platinum status

Reach 250,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Platinum status

You can track your progress toward reaching these reward levels in your account. Once you reach these goals, your reward choices will be available in your wallet.

Earning Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs)

The EQMs you earn on select oneworld® airlines are increasing to be aligned with what you earn when flying on an American-marketed flight. (NOTE: affects JBA one world airlines only)

British Airways
Finnair
Iberia
Japan Airlines

The EQMs earned on American-marketed flights on fares booked in “Y” are decreasing from 1.5 EQMs to 1.0 EQMs per mile flown to be more in line with the ticket value.

Earning on special fare tickets

Earning on special fare tickets

We’re adjusting the award miles, class of service bonus, EQDs and EQMs to match the value of the ticket for select booking codes for travel on American-marketed flights on these ticket types:

Special fares (such as bulk and consolidator fare tickets)
Earning when ticket/fare details are unavailable
In some cases what you earn on these tickets is increasing and in other cases it’s decreasing.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Program Changes as of Jan 2019 and EXP EQD Requirement

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It seems about right - but question would seem to be whether the number of award miles thrown at getting BA Silver is more or less than the cost of buying AC membership ?
Well if one was going to do that level of flying anyways then you come out ahead vs paying for AC and you get FL where available which is far better than the AC. I think if you're flying primarily paid J/F and flying enough to hit BA Silver but not enough for EXP then that's a reasonable strategy, you get access to FL and AC on all flights, Avios do have some sweetspots for short/mid length flights in the US as well.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by foxberg
But for 1K on UA you still need the full PQD.
Originally Posted by swingaling

Not even close. DL raised the spend requirement for MQD waiver to $250k.
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Except for it doesn't

DL requires 250K for top tier diamond
United requires unobtanium spend for top tier 1K ie - you can only qualify for Platinum on spend ie second tier
This:
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
I think you would be surprised at how many $250k spend cardholders care about upgrades. $250k is not really that much spend and will not get you to amex Centurion black card.

$25k amex spend on Delta will still get you to Plat level which is upper echelon.
Originally Posted by gmt4

$25k across the Club & Explorer cards only gets you to platinum on UA.

Clearly AA is placing the most value in actual airfare spend with them instead of card partners like UA.
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
No it won't

$25K Amex spend plus 75,000 EQM's will

All the credit card spend does on DL is eliminate the EQD requirement ($25K spend eliminates EQD for Silver/Gold/Plat and $250K eliminates it for Diamond)
My point was that if you're not a big spender but still fly a lot, you might only get to Gold or Platinum on AA via more than double the credit card spend required on Chase/Amex for United/Delta status just below top tier.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ryan182
Outside upgrades many of the other benefits are defined by OW also history shows us that the reduction of benefits is primarily driven by the actions of DL and to a lesser degree UA not the number of members. In short they will give a little as they feel they can based on what the competition provides and that will be the case if there are 10,000 or 10,000,000 EXPs. When EQDs were introduced I would assume that had an effect on the number of people meeting all thresholds, unless I missed something we didn't get any additional benefits and in fact the number of SWUs were cut in half.
Huh? This makes little sense. AA's internal evaluation of the cost/benefit to the airline of the elite program is surely defined by many factors: including OW alliance terms; what the competition does, how many members AA has at the various elite levels, and a whole host of other things. "DL did it" makes a nice FT-soundbite - but its not as universally true as people think it is.

And many benefits of the program have nothing to do with OW: MCE is one, award redeposit fees and other fees waivers is another, the (largely useless) same-day change policy is yet another, etc...

And you're glossing over the fact that this very program change announcement contains additional benefits.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bse118
Huh? This makes little sense. AA's internal evaluation of the cost/benefit to the airline of the elite program is surely defined by many factors: including OW alliance terms; what the competition does, how many members AA has at the various elite levels, and a whole host of other things. "DL did it" makes a nice FT-soundbite - but its not as universally true as people think it is.
And yet for the past couple years they have followed their competitors (primarily DL) religiously. Yes I'm sure they have a cost/benefit internally but that was my point, competitive pressures will outweigh those internal costs but when they get the opportunity (aka DL/UA does it first) AA will happily follow suit. To be clear, this isn't necessarily a complaint; minimizing costs in response to changes in the competitive landscape is a logical thing to do. I'm just not naive enough to think that this, or any other change, is going to be to my benefit. When the next economic downturn occurs and the airlines are hurting we will be courted again, until then they will give as little as possible.
And many benefits of the program have nothing to do with OW: MCE is one, award redeposit fees and other fees waivers is another, the (largely useless) same-day change policy is yet another, etc...
MCE...kinda like...C+ oh and the inclusion of free drinks/food for MCE which AA was a pioneer in re... followed DL in adding. I predict that AA maintains these not because they want to but because they feel they need to, if other airlines did not provide these benefits do you really think AA would do so? That bridge BTW, did I mention its very lightly used?

And you're glossing over the fact that this very program change announcement contains additional benefits.
What additional benefits? If you're referring to the 150/200/250K EQM thresholds...that's something many EXPs will not see and I pity those that do. Plus now if you fly 200K EQMs you get the same number of SWUs you had before EQDs...quite the additional benefit there!!

Last edited by ryan182; Nov 5, 2018 at 8:14 pm
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by BillBurn
Between increasing the EQD requirement to 15K and eliminating the EQD bonuses on the Barclays cards, AA definitely appears to be trying to weed out a lot of low spending EXPs. I wonder what impact this will have on the overall # of EXPs in 2020. Could be good news for those EXPs that remain in terms of upgrade competition, service levels, etc. ... or not.
As one of those “low spenders” (relatively), I was bummed to receive the letter from Barclays this weekend, followed by this news. I could have easily managed one decrease or the other but not both. Now, this requires a really aggressive change in spending/biz travel. I supposed the silver lining is that this will weed out a decent chunk of us low spenders to open even more upgrade opps..provided I can requal for ‘20.

This year I was able to apply 3 SWU on flights between LAX-HKG and LHR-LAX. Previous year, upgraded my wife on LAX-SYD so I’ve got no complaints on that front. Worth the spend.

If Ben Franklin were around (and flying) today, he might have amended his famous statement to “nothing can be said to be certain, except deathandtaxes...and elite program devaluations
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:26 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by brp
Let me know (please) if I'm thinking this through clearly:

We are both LT Plat, so we can rest on that. Let's say that we're not going to try for EXP again (after like 10 years) in 2019. Then we have OW Sapphire, Business Lounges, etc.

Now, we shoot for BA Silver. 600 Tier Points. Looks like a SFO-MIA or SFO_JFK 2-class business nets 140 Tier Points. So only about 4 of these.

While still Sapphire this also affords AC and FL access on AA domestic flights.

Is it that straightforward, or am I miscalculating?

Cheers.
Also need the minimum 4 BA metal segments in there. Hardly worth it unless you're doing it anyway. Better to get lounge access in another way. I fly mainly international trips so I'm covered even with LT PLT, though I will miss the FC lounges especially at HKG and the QF at LAX. When I have domestic trips, I can use my BE points for day passes, or just hang out at the gate.

The changes were expected. Since AA moved to EQD's for qualifications, my AA spend has trended down.
2016: Total spend $8571 with $6600 on AA;
2017: Total spend $5524 with $1514 on AA (requalified wih 17k+ EQD's
2018 Total spend: $6871 with $2600 on AA (requaified with 12k EQD's and
2019: Estimated total AA spend of $2000, $1413 already ticketed for PEK-LAX-HKG-PEK and will add another HKG-LAX to use my (last) 4 SWU's until I cross 5MM probably 2020..

There are still inexpensive ways to get 15k EQD's and 150k EQM's with CX and BA PE fares, and one routing that CX offers a decent schedule on, costs $965 RT, and would require only 4.5 RT's (pushing the return into the next year of course,) and generates 112k EQM's and 165k RDM's. I wonder how much rev AA generates from those miles. Total cost of $4421 and no need for SWU's.

I'll be happy with my AA LT PLT and *A Gold (OZ thru 2021.) Expectations in check always.

Last edited by rbAA; Nov 5, 2018 at 9:54 pm
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:06 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by foxberg
I knew about UA exemption and I guess I was mistaken about AA doing the same. I can't find this being mentioned anywhere Maybe it's time to do a status match next year and move to UA then.
Been there, done that. Not as good. I will give up 1K next January and my *A Gold will be from OZ thru 2021.
foxberg likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
I’m glad this came out before I booked my first 2019 trip, which would have been part vacation, part MR.

For me, this kicks me out of EXP after 2019. I just can’t justify the extra spend. Some of you said $15K was just a bit more, for me $12k was already that extra stretch. But even more importantly, if I can’t make it to EXP anyway, then all of the things I did to make EXP - at least one international J MR, taking less convenient flights to/from less convenient airports, finding creative excuses for justifying a more expensive AA flight to our company travel agent - simply aren’t going to happen becaues they buy me very little if it’s not enough for EXP. So rather than stretching to hit $15k, my spend could very well drop by $5-6k (a lot will go to AS since I’m on the west coast - and yes, losing EQM/EQD from AS flights didn’t help either ). I’m already LT Plat and I usually buy (or sell up to) F so upgrades are not much of a concern.

I guess AA is convinced that what they will lose from people like me they will make up for people who will stretch to hit $15k. Yeah, that must be it.

it was nice while it lasted.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
Originally Posted by sailor279

As one of those “low spenders” (relatively), I was bummed to receive the letter from Barclays this weekend, followed by this news. I could have easily managed one decrease or the other but not both. Now, this requires a really aggressive change in spending/biz travel. I supposed the silver lining is that this will weed out a decent chunk of us low spenders to open even more upgrade opps..provided I can requal for ‘20.

This year I was able to apply 3 SWU on flights between LAX-HKG and LHR-LAX. Previous year, upgraded my wife on LAX-SYD so I’ve got no complaints on that front. Worth the spend.

If Ben Franklin were around (and flying) today, he might have amended his famous statement to “nothing can be said to be certain, except deathandtaxes...and elite program devaluations
I did some crazy MR last year to get to EXP and have three more trips planed this year, some purely to get to EXP for the next year. AA will lose revenues from flyers like me, but I guess they don't care. They assume they'll pick it up elsewhere. Well, good luck to them. For now my plan is to use my almost 1M RDM balance with AA to fly in the foreseeable future. And even if I get their Citi AA Executive CC to gain AC access for the $450 annual charge it would still be cheaper then spend on all those MR.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:23 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by catcher1
Hey, I want to know too!
I just use Google flights.

You can search literally almost any day of the week through EoS For LAX-BOM.

BA metal. $3200 shows almost every day.

$200 off for AARP on J flights
10% off airfare with the Chase BA CC.

$2600 all in, dude.

Just did one a couple months ago and was able to UG to First using 22.5k Avios on one of the legs.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
I expected to be outraged when I opened the email, but I probably spent around 15k to hit ExecPlat this year and had to slog out way more BIS with only 1.5x on AY, BA, IB J flights. With this new earning chart, the amount of EQMs I already have booked for 2019 travel jumps substantially and for the same amount of travel I did this year, I'll have a good shot at hitting 150k and getting extra SWU. First time i've seen an "enhancement," that wasn't a knife in the back.
bse118 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Just wondering, why didnit AA consider a new level for their new requirements.. something like EXP pro? or EXP look at me or EXP I spent too much?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: LH HON
Positive changes for economy warriors? Wait, what. What year do we live in?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:36 am

I am confused about the calculation of EQD's on OW partners with the discount economy fares. The chart has confusing column headers. It list base miles 0-100%. Then it lists EQD's per mile flown. Does that mean the column in base miles is multiplied by the percentage in EQD's? e.g. 1000 actual mileage at 50% = 500 miles * 10% (EQD's/mile) = 50 EQD's. Is this correct? Or is it 1000 miles * 10% = 100 EDQ's
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:43 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
I think you would be surprised at how many $250k spend cardholders care about upgrades. $250k is not really that much spend and will not get you to amex Centurion black card.
Did you type that with a straight face? A quarter of a million dollars is not that much? A person who is barely in the 1% does not have that much in total income after taxes. SMH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.