Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Program Changes as of Jan 2019 and EXP EQD Requirement

Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage program changes have been announced, to be implemented 1 January 2019. In part:

AAdvantage program updates

Whats new (link)

2019 AAdvantage program updates

Were introducing a few updates effective January 1, 2019, for AAdvantage members, including new qualification requirements for AAdvantage Executive Platinum status and extra rewards Executive Platinum members can choose.

Additionally, were changing how you earn Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) on American and select oneworld airlines, and what you earn when flying on special fares (such as bulk or consolidator fares) and exception tickets (cases when ticket/fare details are unavailable).

Executive Platinum qualification and rewards

The Elite Qualifying Dollar (EQD) requirement for AAdvantage Executive Platinum status is increasing from $12,000 EQDs to $15,000 EQDs for the 2020 membership year. (Youll need to earn $15,000 EQD in 2019 to qualify for Executive Platinum for the Status year beginning 1 Feb 2020.)

NOTE: see Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019 thread on credit card EQD reductions
Upon qualification for Executive Platinum status, members who reach 150,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs), 200,000 EQMs and 250,000 EQMs can choose a reward.

Reach 150,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage Gold status

Reach 200,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage Platinum status

Reach 250,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage Platinum status

You can track your progress toward reaching these reward levels in your account. Once you reach these goals, your reward choices will be available in your wallet.

Earning Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs)

The EQMs you earn on select oneworld airlines are increasing to be aligned with what you earn when flying on an American-marketed flight. (NOTE: affects JBA one world airlines only)

British Airways
Finnair
Iberia
Japan Airlines

The EQMs earned on American-marketed flights on fares booked in Y are decreasing from 1.5 EQMs to 1.0 EQMs per mile flown to be more in line with the ticket value.

Earning on special fare tickets

Earning on special fare tickets

Were adjusting the award miles, class of service bonus, EQDs and EQMs to match the value of the ticket for select booking codes for travel on American-marketed flights on these ticket types:

Special fares (such as bulk and consolidator fare tickets)
Earning when ticket/fare details are unavailable
In some cases what you earn on these tickets is increasing and in other cases its decreasing.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Program Changes as of Jan 2019 and EXP EQD Requirement

Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by foxberg
If the ticket starts with 016 then it's UA structure for RDM, same as on AA. I'll need to browse UA forums for rules on vacations bookings.
Can't comment on the UA earnings, but ticket number (001 etc) has nothing to do with how we earn RDM, EQD or EQM on AA...
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
If one is spending $250K a year period I dont think they are worried where they are sitting in an airplane.
I think you would be surprised at how many $250k spend cardholders care about upgrades. $250k is not really that much spend and will not get you to amex Centurion black card.

$25k amex spend on Delta will still get you to Plat level which is upper echelon.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
Originally Posted by zzpitt
This will knock me out of EXP in 2020 as well. With travel already booked out for the rest of 2018, I'm looking at approximately 100,500 EQM and approximately $14k EQD (with $6k coming from AAviator Silver bonuses) for this year. I can't see a scenario where I go from $8k actual airfare spend up to $12k next year, so it's probably down to PlatPro for me. I agree with some of the posts above, from an domestic upgrade perspective, at least I wouldn't have to start collecting stickers again, and I'd probably be around the same spot on the list anyway relative to where I am now (albeit maybe a little lower after losing $3k in credit card bonus, but so will many others I'm sure). I think the only losses I'd even notice would be the no SWUs (which in the end, we'd probably end up using miles for an F or J award instead of paying a cash fare just to use the SWU, so probably come out ahead there), losing the free award mile reinstatement (which means we'd need more concrete plans before we booked an award) and the loss of free cheese plate when I'm flying in the back (I can dish out the $7 if I'm really hungry I guess). Being based out of PHL, unless I want to start flying Southwest or connect in Chicago (UA) or Atlanta/Detroit (Delta) on every trip, there's not like I have much choice anyway.
Almost my exact sentiment. I finished last year with 100,050 miles and over 15K EQD (6K from Aviator Silver), this year I'm looking at 100,500 and just a tad over 12K EQD (same 6K from the CC). But I'm out of NYC, so many other choices.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
How Delta or AS compares to BA J or F I don't get. Just asking. I will happily spend hours in BA J (ideally BA 62A/K J upstairs), or BA F. Don't knock it if you haven't spent a lot of time there. I appreciate OW Emerald and BA benefits.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Can't comment on the UA earnings, but ticket number (001 etc) has nothing to do with how we earn RDM, EQD or EQM on AA...
If I buy AY flight on 001 stock then I get credits according to AA structure.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:35 pm
Suspended

If one spends $250K a year on a CC it's cheaper to get (if invited) AmEx Black, pay $2,5K annual fee and be Dimond for as long as you have the card.
Amex Centurion requires much more spend than that for invite, and, it gives you Delta Platinum-- not Diamond, big difference.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
If I buy AY flight on 001 stock then I get credits according to AA structure.
This is not true.

Also, just look at United's earning policy real quick.

No PQD on partner ticketed - so I wonder if $15k is the ask for AA and UA, what differences do that make in UA, not to mention one loses ability to earn EQD on partner airlines? (Putting aside that *A is in general a better alliance and UA schedules etc etc). It looks like changing address is the way to go, but I wonder how long will it take for UA to change the rules?

PQM is the same as EQM requirement, so no difference here. The Chase CC does not give waiver for 1K or GS, so not relevant here either.
PaulInTheSky likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL SM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Gold, MR Gold
But for 1K on UA you still need the full PQD.
Indeed, and unlike AA and DL, you can only earn PQDs on 001 tickets. PQDs are not credited on partner-ticketed flights.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
This is not true.

No PQD on partner ticketed - so I wonder if $15k is the ask for AA and UA, what differences do that make in UA, not to mention one loses ability to earn EQD on partner airlines? (Putting aside that *A is in general a better alliance and UA schedules etc etc). It looks like changing address is the way to go, but I wonder how long will it take for UA to change the rules?

PQM is the same as EQM requirement, so no difference here. The Chase CC does not give waiver for 1K or GS, so not relevant here either.
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Indeed, and unlike AA and DL, you can only earn PQDs on 001 tickets. PQDs are not credited on partner-ticketed flights.
A slight correction: UA credits PQDs for UA flights on either UA tickets or other airlines' tickets, as well as PQDs for partner flights on UA tickets. It does not credit PQDs for non-UA flights on non-UA tickets. So it is possible to earn PQDs on a non-UA ticket, if it's a UA flight on that non-UA ticket.
FlytheTail likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Not to add salt to the injury... But wouldn't it be ironic for AA to be the first US carrier to introduce bidding for upgrades into the mix. This would be the ultimate snub to elites and loyalists indeed. Talk about upsetting the apple cart!!

I know on my recent CX flights, I was offered the chance to do so. I declined. But in the end I got the op-up. Win-Win.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:55 pm

THIS IS OVER FOR ME: I will burn my 1 million plus miles that I have accumulated, ENJOY the "Platinum for Life privileges" whenever I can afford to fly AA (and until they remove the Plat-4-Life status); and just go for the CHEAPEST AIRLINE that takes me where I need to go. -LOYALTY is supposed to be a TWO-WAY thing, AA is not loyal to those of us that have been flying with them for more than 3 decades, why should I continue to be loyal to them anymore?

This is my last Executive Platinum Year, and kiss-good-by.

It was nice meeting you AA, but THIS IS OVER FOR ME,

Sincerely yours,

Dr. Vargas.
Ex-Loyal Executive Platinum Member.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
Free agent and loyalty rants are the best. Group 8 here we come!
Head and LovePrunes like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Amex Centurion requires much more spend than that for invite, and, it gives you Delta Platinum-- not Diamond, big difference.
Yes, I was mistaken, it's HH Diamond.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:26 pm

This is not true.

It is with AA. The last time I flew AY on AA RT ticket I got 2 segments, 8234 EQM, 7480 RDM and 680 EQD.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
It is with AA. The last time I flew AY on AA RT ticket I got 2 segments, 8234 EQM, 7480 RDM and 680 EQD.
Youre conflating two separate issues and using imprecise terminology.

You mentioned 001 stock in your previous post. Plating is 100% irrelevant to AAdvantage earnings.

Essentially, all that matters is marketing carrier, fare basis and operating carrier. It doesnt matter if its a 001 or a 016 or a 157 ticket. As long as its marketed and operated by an appropriate carrier (AA, BA, AY, CX, etc), it will earn EQD and EQM with AAdvantage.

When flying an AY marketed flight and crediting to AA, you earn based on the AY partner earning chart on aa.com. Regardless of which airline issues the ticket.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.