Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Program Changes as of Jan 2019 and EXP EQD Requirement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage program changes have been announced, to be implemented 1 January 2019. In part:

AAdvantage® program updates

What’s new (link)

2019 AAdvantage® program updates

We’re introducing a few updates effective January 1, 2019, for AAdvantage® members, including new qualification requirements for AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status and extra rewards Executive Platinum members can choose.

Additionally, we’re changing how you earn Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) on American and select oneworld® airlines, and what you earn when flying on special fares (such as bulk or consolidator fares) and exception tickets (cases when ticket/fare details are unavailable).

Executive Platinum qualification and rewards

The Elite Qualifying Dollar (EQD) requirement for AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status is increasing from $12,000 EQDs to $15,000 EQDs for the 2020 membership year. (You’ll need to earn $15,000 EQD in 2019 to qualify for Executive Platinum for the Status year beginning 1 Feb 2020.)

NOTE: see Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019 thread on credit card EQD reductions
Upon qualification for Executive Platinum status, members who reach 150,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs), 200,000 EQMs and 250,000 EQMs can choose a reward.

Reach 150,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Gold status

Reach 200,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Platinum status

Reach 250,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Platinum status

You can track your progress toward reaching these reward levels in your account. Once you reach these goals, your reward choices will be available in your wallet.

Earning Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs)

The EQMs you earn on select oneworld® airlines are increasing to be aligned with what you earn when flying on an American-marketed flight. (NOTE: affects JBA one world airlines only)

British Airways
Finnair
Iberia
Japan Airlines

The EQMs earned on American-marketed flights on fares booked in “Y” are decreasing from 1.5 EQMs to 1.0 EQMs per mile flown to be more in line with the ticket value.

Earning on special fare tickets

Earning on special fare tickets

We’re adjusting the award miles, class of service bonus, EQDs and EQMs to match the value of the ticket for select booking codes for travel on American-marketed flights on these ticket types:

Special fares (such as bulk and consolidator fare tickets)
Earning when ticket/fare details are unavailable
In some cases what you earn on these tickets is increasing and in other cases it’s decreasing.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Program Changes as of Jan 2019 and EXP EQD Requirement

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA / 1K & AA ExP
I'm in a slightly different boat. I'm a 1MM++ with AA. Do about 120k miles per year. I am also a small business owner. This means I have to watch my pennies - $1k saved means I can bonus out my employees $1k. Every dollar DOES matter. So pushing me to buy higher fares just to keep my tushy happy only causes me frustration. Also, my employees fly who I tell them to fly -- and many of them do 25-50k/year. So my satisfaction is worth about $25k/year, and 300k miles / year. But AA, UA, DA, will never see it that way.

If AA thought about the SMB market at all (and they should, it's the fastest growing market), they'd wrap some sort of status cookie into the Business ExtrAA program for SMB. IE: Keep your personal flight spend/miles at a certain level, and your cumulative company flights/spend above a level, and you get ExPlat. They do this for large corporation. But nobody does it for SMB. And by evaluating me, individually, they're going to lose the 300k miles / $25k altogether when I start forcing my team to fly Alaska (which offers better routes for us anyway domestically).

Probably doesn't matter to them. But I keep thinking that the airline that figures this out is going to be the darling of the SMB / startup market.:
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA / 1K & AA ExP
Originally Posted by MarkOK
For a business traveler, perhaps. But for a primarily personal traveler, 12K was indeed a high bar. But, of course, the elite status programs with airlines aren't made for people travelling on their own dime anyways.

And, though there may be less 'credit card based elites' and those in the 12K-15K range may fall out, would that be counterbalanced by the changes in how people get EQM credit on partner airlines??
Yep. but as I point out in my reply above - it isn't just those traveling on their own dime who strive to control cost. Startups and SMBs do too.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Free agency is an awesome path to take
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Not sure I follow how "thinning the heard" helps anyone...the upgrade priority is already based on EQDs so those that barely make it are already at the bottom of the EXP pile so those that spend more already get priority. If there's some delusional thinking that AA will somehow improve service for EXPs after this I have a lightly used bridge for sale.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I wonder how many people from DL or UA were contemplating the "Switch" due to the $12K requirement only to be thwarted today?
GTITAN likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enpremiere
My apologies as my original post title wasn't very clear but it looks like someone behind the curtains edited it for me.

I'm still waiting for my Martha Stewart frequently flyer holiday guidebook on making the perfect post title in the mail.
Haha.

No worries - I read the AA email first and it was confusing too.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by stefg1007
I was on the fence about booking a C ticket on another airline for next year. This makes that decision easier now. Instead of actively booking OW tickets to get EXP (Ill be at 14k eqd this year), I'll settle for PP and more competitive pricing on flights. With my travel patterns, what am I really out? Some SWU's that rarely clear in advance anymore? Lower down on the upgrade list for the 3 times a year I fly this ragged airline? What hurts the most is going to be loosing the free redeposit on award tickets. I have a tendency to change them. I guess with some of the money I save, I'll still come out ahead!
Originally Posted by dll
I'm thinking I may go this route, as well. I had just at $13,000 EQD in travel this year. Another $2k would be doable but hard to justify without a major change in my travel profile. I'm not sure the systemwides are worth the effort. My biggest thing is loss of lounge access when traveling internationally, but frankly that's an area where PP excels. I also really like the EXP desk, they've been incredibly helpful for me this year. We'll see how this shakes out next year. I also managed to qualify on UA for Gold. Had I consolidated those travels on AA I'd have probably made the $15k cut but there are times when that's just not possible (routes, prices, etc).
Same for me as well -- this was easily doable when I was traveling on business/OPM for the last several years, so I can see why AA would be targeting that segment of traveler. But for me this year with no business travel, I'll barely qualify on 12k EQD on personal travel, so 15k EQD will be a bit of a stretch as I don't expect much business travel next year either. And as 2MM/LTP, not sure it's worth it for the bump to EXP. I guess I have to find a new job with more travel now, or wait for the next recession and a possible double EQD promotion...

Wish there was a pathway to LT EXP or better MM milestones beyond 2MM. I may as well keep going for 1MM on UA instead, since *A Gold is nice to have as well.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by 355F1

Hard...????

A MR to JNB BA metal in PE or J nets you almost $5k EQDs.
Actually true. I guess I've never looked at S. Africa flights. Most of my flying is US-Europe, US-Asia.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I’m fine with this but left wondering if AA will follow suit and devalue their award chart to align with Delta.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It’s ironic AA chose to add the image of 737-823 N908NN, a leased in (Wells Fargo) 737 that will soon be graced with Project Awaysis “MSTC” (More Sardines Throughout Coach”), minilavs and less.

I’m sure glad I decided to get off the merry go round with lifetime Platinum effective 2019 Status year. This just reinforces my decision. ”Good day, JDiver out.”

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 5, 2018 at 1:04 pm
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I’m just here to see the 90% of posts that are like...
”I spend $25k/yr so I don’t care”
”I barely reach $12k/yr... screw AA, I’m never flying them again.”
wrp96 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by javabytes
I’m just here to see the 90% of posts that are like...
”I spend $25k/yr so I don’t care”
”I barely reach $12k/yr... screw AA, I’m never flying them again.”
let me add the remaining 10%

"i buy $15K F fares before I eat breakfast in the morning"
"not a problem I spend $1.5MM with AA last year".
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
It’s ironic AA chose to add the image of 737-823 N908NN, a leased in (Wells Fargo) 737 that will soon be graced with Project Awaysis “MSTC” (More Sardines Throughout Coach”), minilavs and less.

I’m sure glad I decided to get off the merry go round with lifetime Platinum effective 2019 Status year. This just reinforces my decision. ”Good day, JDiver out.”
Good decision. Where are you putting most of our flying these days?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
It's amazing to think that just 2 years ago one could get EXP with a bunch of cheap mileage runs. I bet there were EXPs with EQD's less than $5K then. I see what AA is targeting. Too bad their higher spend thresholds don't come with anything better for the EXP.
gmt4 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MarkOK
And, though there may be less 'credit card based elites' and those in the 12K-15K range may fall out, would that be counterbalanced by the changes in how people get EQM credit on partner airlines??
Increased EQM earnings on partners don't offset higher EQD thresholds..

Originally Posted by ryan182
Not sure I follow how "thinning the heard" helps anyone...the upgrade priority is already based on EQDs so those that barely make it are already at the bottom of the EXP pile so those that spend more already get priority. If there's some delusional thinking that AA will somehow improve service for EXPs after this I have a lightly used bridge for sale.
Not about upgrades. Not about any one benefit on any one flight. Not about expecting improvements. About retaining existing benefits and the "cost" of those benefits based on how large the population is. I've been a management consultant...I know how they think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.