Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Program Changes as of Jan 2019 and EXP EQD Requirement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage program changes have been announced, to be implemented 1 January 2019. In part:

AAdvantage® program updates

What’s new (link)

2019 AAdvantage® program updates

We’re introducing a few updates effective January 1, 2019, for AAdvantage® members, including new qualification requirements for AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status and extra rewards Executive Platinum members can choose.

Additionally, we’re changing how you earn Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) on American and select oneworld® airlines, and what you earn when flying on special fares (such as bulk or consolidator fares) and exception tickets (cases when ticket/fare details are unavailable).

Executive Platinum qualification and rewards

The Elite Qualifying Dollar (EQD) requirement for AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status is increasing from $12,000 EQDs to $15,000 EQDs for the 2020 membership year. (You’ll need to earn $15,000 EQD in 2019 to qualify for Executive Platinum for the Status year beginning 1 Feb 2020.)

NOTE: see Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019 thread on credit card EQD reductions
Upon qualification for Executive Platinum status, members who reach 150,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs), 200,000 EQMs and 250,000 EQMs can choose a reward.

Reach 150,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Gold status

Reach 200,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Platinum status

Reach 250,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Platinum status

You can track your progress toward reaching these reward levels in your account. Once you reach these goals, your reward choices will be available in your wallet.

Earning Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs)

The EQMs you earn on select oneworld® airlines are increasing to be aligned with what you earn when flying on an American-marketed flight. (NOTE: affects JBA one world airlines only)

British Airways
Finnair
Iberia
Japan Airlines

The EQMs earned on American-marketed flights on fares booked in “Y” are decreasing from 1.5 EQMs to 1.0 EQMs per mile flown to be more in line with the ticket value.

Earning on special fare tickets

Earning on special fare tickets

We’re adjusting the award miles, class of service bonus, EQDs and EQMs to match the value of the ticket for select booking codes for travel on American-marketed flights on these ticket types:

Special fares (such as bulk and consolidator fare tickets)
Earning when ticket/fare details are unavailable
In some cases what you earn on these tickets is increasing and in other cases it’s decreasing.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Program Changes as of Jan 2019 and EXP EQD Requirement

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Hardly a surprise that any legacy carrier wants to focus on higher spend customers, bearing in mind that there are still three elite status levels below EXP. With the economy on screech, more paid F/J, and capacity adjusted to PRASM, something has to give and that has become the lower spend EXP.

Further hardly a surprise that AA becomes the last of the legacies to do this. The last thing AA wants or needs is the low spend DL / UA high status people jumping ship to AA over the spend issue.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Not a shock. 15,000 EQDs means one more flight in a premium cabin on a partner.

Safe Travels
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:18 am

They have the nerve to say it is enhancement. What gifts do we not have when it comes to different milestone before and after the announcement.

Race to the bottom. New strategies moving forward.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
I'm fine with this. 12K EQD was not a high bar - neither is 15K really.

A smaller EXP pool is a good thing. Less credit card based elites is also a good thing.

<won't be a popular opinion here - but it's how I see things on this one >
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Man, being able to gift plat for the extra EQM is pretty nice

Also, the increased EQM will be nice
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:34 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FAA1996
This change doesn't really affect me as I usually end up with about $25K spend, miles are also a non issue, EQM are over 150K for me. So thinning out EXPs is a good thing.
However, I find EXP pretty useless. Usually purchase J or F tickets as I don't want to play the upgrade game. SWUs are useless, scarce availability to use for someone else or me at booking. Elimination of F on most international routes means I can't really use them unless I go to LHR for a J to F upgrade. New Flagship lounges are nice, but I'd get access with my international J or as a lifetime Platinum member so no perk there. First class check in has disappeared, now its all one big priority line with everyone who has an AA credit card or Gold. Flagship check in is ok when available and I'm traveling to a qualified destination.
Even so, CKs are ahead of EXPs for upgs etc.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by skunker
"This is good for consumers!"
By popular demand!
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by ijgordon
This doesn't make much sense. Discounted first/business class fares are usually significantly less expensive than full Y fares. Unless they're really focusing this on government Y fares which are probably much much lower. Frankly there's rarely a reason to need to buy a full Y domestically, but on the other hand, often that's the only one-way fare available for overseas flights, and is usually more than discounted J.
Don't try to make sense of it. Parker is channeling Louis XVI and has a disdain for economy. He can't seem to see the distinction between passengers paying for full Y vs. B. Imagine paying for "Y" at the last minute, there's no MCE available, and you're on a MAX8. Ugh. Wait, did they make it so that Y fares don't qualify for MCE (barring elite status) or was that just on AAnytime awards?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
Thank you.
My apologies as my original post title wasn't very clear but it looks like someone behind the curtains edited it for me.

I'm still waiting for my Martha Stewart frequently flyer holiday guidebook on making the perfect post title in the mail.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gig103
Don't try to make sense of it. Parker is channeling Louis XVI and has a disdain for economy. ...
Is this why we're seeing generous quantities of bread on flights with meal service?
jhartvu likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Man, being able to gift plat for the extra EQM is pretty nice

Also, the increased EQM will be nice
I know several folks who will gladly buy you a bottle or 6 of your favorite scotch/brandy/wine/etc. for a gifted Plat status.
Especially since SWU are becoming harder to use, you can extract more value out of the status gift or miles.

Originally Posted by econometrics
As one who is spending about $20-$25K per year right now, I'm not put off by this. From seeing the loads in premium cabins this past year on INTL flights, I can tell that AA is courting EXP customers who spend more, and weeding out those who do not. Seems like a simple business decision here, and Delta and UA helped give them the courage to do it.

But the improved EQM earning in J/F on Oneworld partners is a VERY nice improvement. Now I can go back to buying itineraries on BA.com in J, which often tend to be cheaper than the same itinerary on AA.com for me, and can still earn full EQM. No more paying AA a premium just to get my full EQMs. ^
What qualifies as AA marketed? Was always confused on how to leverage what website, what flight number or codeshare, etc. to get the best EQM for a Non-AA metal flight on a OW partner.

I guess the point is now moot, as I can book wherever I please as long as my AA FFN is attached to the PNR.

I have been looking at some fares into Europe next year, and would much rather fly BA F than AA F or J, and could now get the appropriate EQM to go with it!
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by jtav559
What qualifies as AA marketed? Was always confused on how to leverage what website, what flight number or codeshare, etc. to get the best EQM for a Non-AA metal flight on a OW partner.

I guess the point is now moot, as I can book wherever I please as long as my AA FFN is attached to the PNR.

I have been looking at some fares into Europe next year, and would much rather fly BA F than AA F or J, and could now get the appropriate EQM to go with it!
AA flight number = AA marked, BA flight number = BA marketed etc etc.

And on a separate note I am sure you are not alone in the comment of BA F - one of the best TATL J you could get.
jtav559 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by bse118
I'm fine with this. 12K EQD was not a high bar - neither is 15K really.

A smaller EXP pool is a good thing. Less credit card based elites is also a good thing.

<won't be a popular opinion here - but it's how I see things on this one >
For a business traveler, perhaps. But for a primarily personal traveler, 12K was indeed a high bar. But, of course, the elite status programs with airlines aren't made for people travelling on their own dime anyways.

And, though there may be less 'credit card based elites' and those in the 12K-15K range may fall out, would that be counterbalanced by the changes in how people get EQM credit on partner airlines??
Worldbuilder likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fotographer
Just got the email from AA... FT is so much faster
Thank goodness for the AA posters on FlyterTalk, the world's largest microscopic community of 'flying misfits' forsaken by AA management.

No but really, there is incredible knowledge (and clarification about obscure topics) that seem to break faster on FT and get covered in greater detail here than in almost any other place other than JonNYC's breakfast table.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
There are already a lot on OMAAT etc
With AA's mileage inflation, that name is going to change one day to ATMAAT (a thousand miles at a time).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.