Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Program Changes as of Jan 2019 and EXP EQD Requirement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage program changes have been announced, to be implemented 1 January 2019. In part:

AAdvantage® program updates

What’s new (link)

2019 AAdvantage® program updates

We’re introducing a few updates effective January 1, 2019, for AAdvantage® members, including new qualification requirements for AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status and extra rewards Executive Platinum members can choose.

Additionally, we’re changing how you earn Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) on American and select oneworld® airlines, and what you earn when flying on special fares (such as bulk or consolidator fares) and exception tickets (cases when ticket/fare details are unavailable).

Executive Platinum qualification and rewards

The Elite Qualifying Dollar (EQD) requirement for AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status is increasing from $12,000 EQDs to $15,000 EQDs for the 2020 membership year. (You’ll need to earn $15,000 EQD in 2019 to qualify for Executive Platinum for the Status year beginning 1 Feb 2020.)

NOTE: see Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019 thread on credit card EQD reductions
Upon qualification for Executive Platinum status, members who reach 150,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs), 200,000 EQMs and 250,000 EQMs can choose a reward.

Reach 150,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Gold status

Reach 200,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Platinum status

Reach 250,000 EQMs and choose from:
2 systemwide upgrades
40,000 bonus miles
Gift of AAdvantage® Platinum status

You can track your progress toward reaching these reward levels in your account. Once you reach these goals, your reward choices will be available in your wallet.

Earning Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs)

The EQMs you earn on select oneworld® airlines are increasing to be aligned with what you earn when flying on an American-marketed flight. (NOTE: affects JBA one world airlines only)

British Airways
Finnair
Iberia
Japan Airlines

The EQMs earned on American-marketed flights on fares booked in “Y” are decreasing from 1.5 EQMs to 1.0 EQMs per mile flown to be more in line with the ticket value.

Earning on special fare tickets

Earning on special fare tickets

We’re adjusting the award miles, class of service bonus, EQDs and EQMs to match the value of the ticket for select booking codes for travel on American-marketed flights on these ticket types:

Special fares (such as bulk and consolidator fare tickets)
Earning when ticket/fare details are unavailable
In some cases what you earn on these tickets is increasing and in other cases it’s decreasing.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Program Changes as of Jan 2019 and EXP EQD Requirement

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Catbert10
Pretty much the only difference between the Big 3 FF programs is award availability. Who'd a-thunk that would happen after consolidation?
"This is good for consumers!"
milehound, jhartvu and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by enpremiere
Indeed there are some bright spots on partner EQM earnings with respect to premium cabins effective January 1, 2019.

See example earning tables pre-2019 and 2019 onwards: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...sh-airways.jsp
I can't say that surprises me in the least. AA, despite their LCC approach in the "back of the bus" has made a push for the premium traveler. I do prefer their J hard product and Flagship lounges (and the PE @ 2-3-2 looks better than 2-4-2 PE from competitors not that I've flown it), to the Skyteam alternatives. It's just weird to have such a different experience on either side of that little curtain.

Not that I'm anywhere near an EXP, but it would be nice if the competition was a little fiercer between carriers, instead of monkey-see, monkey-do.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: American Airlines
Will take a few minutes to make an analysis of how this will affect my situation. Probably end up free agent. Sad. Been with AA since 1994.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: American Airlines
I'm reminded of an article I read about RyanAir which included an interview with it's genius creator/boss. He discussed how he "taught" the customer how to behave. In other words, by charging a lot of bags, there were less bags and hence less need for baggage handlers/equipment and costs. Same with ticketing and so on.

Well, the airlines have certainly taught the public well.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP
This change doesn't really affect me as I usually end up with about $25K spend, miles are also a non issue, EQM are over 150K for me. So thinning out EXPs is a good thing.
However, I find EXP pretty useless. Usually purchase J or F tickets as I don't want to play the upgrade game. SWUs are useless, scarce availability to use for someone else or me at booking. Elimination of F on most international routes means I can't really use them unless I go to LHR for a J to F upgrade. New Flagship lounges are nice, but I'd get access with my international J or as a lifetime Platinum member so no perk there. First class check in has disappeared, now its all one big priority line with everyone who has an AA credit card or Gold. Flagship check in is ok when available and I'm traveling to a qualified destination.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Antarius
So.. 2020 membership year.... Does that mean this takes effect Jan 1 2020? or Jan 1 2019?
Takes effect 2019 for the membership year 2020.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
How original! I wonder how things will change in the next recession. They probably won't because "American will never lose money again". Time will tell...

I am enjoying my OWE status on another airline. If I want F or J, I will buy it or redeem when it makes sense.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
As someone aptly put it; it is the race to the bottom. I've flown 2 million miles with UA but could not stand how poor their hard product was. Eight across on a 777 in business class and NO F seating? If I were single and looking to meet people, then that's a great configuration. Came over to AA, have 688,000 BIS miles and was hoping to make it to lifetime gold. Yet I'm the dope that keeps thinking that has value???? I flew 135K this year and spent 18K, some of that was thru the great Barclay card bonuses, but that's going to be harder to make. In sum, there is NO more low hanging fruit with any airline. I believe it's going to be in my best interests to just pony up for F or B whenever I fly and if that's not possible fly UA because I'll be guaranteed a bulkhead or exit row seat in crunch class. OR I could lose 50 pounds and shrink 8 inches so I can fit in any piece of s__t seat the airlines graciously offer to ferry me to my destinations.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Antarius
So.. 2020 membership year.... Does that mean this takes effect Jan 1 2020? or Jan 1 2019?
It means that you will need to spend $15K in 2019 to qualify for the 2020 year
JDiver and jhartvu like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
I was on the fence about booking a C ticket on another airline for next year. This makes that decision easier now. Instead of actively booking OW tickets to get EXP (Ill be at 14k eqd this year), I'll settle for PP and more competitive pricing on flights. With my travel patterns, what am I really out? Some SWU's that rarely clear in advance anymore? Lower down on the upgrade list for the 3 times a year I fly this ragged airline? What hurts the most is going to be loosing the free redeposit on award tickets. I have a tendency to change them. I guess with some of the money I save, I'll still come out ahead!
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by stefg1007
I was on the fence about booking a C ticket on another airline for next year. This makes that decision easier now. Instead of actively booking OW tickets to get EXP (Ill be at 14k eqd this year), I'll settle for PP and more competitive pricing on flights.
Funny, same here. I was literally about to book a J flight to LHR to earn EP this year. But, I'd just make it with the current $12K requirement. Keeping PP and just having some flexibility to book on DL, B6, etc. when the times work better is a better option.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Collierkr
It means that you will need to spend $15K in 2019 to qualify for the 2020 year
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Takes effect 2019 for the membership year 2020.
Thank you.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
At least QR eqm and eqd didn't change.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:02 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stefg1007
I was on the fence about booking a C ticket on another airline for next year. This makes that decision easier now. Instead of actively booking OW tickets to get EXP (Ill be at 14k eqd this year), I'll settle for PP and more competitive pricing on flights. With my travel patterns, what am I really out? Some SWU's that rarely clear in advance anymore? Lower down on the upgrade list for the 3 times a year I fly this ragged airline? What hurts the most is going to be loosing the free redeposit on award tickets. I have a tendency to change them. I guess with some of the money I save, I'll still come out ahead!

I'm thinking I may go this route, as well. I had just at $13,000 EQD in travel this year. Another $2k would be doable but hard to justify without a major change in my travel profile. I'm not sure the systemwides are worth the effort. My biggest thing is loss of lounge access when traveling internationally, but frankly that's an area where PP excels. I also really like the EXP desk, they've been incredibly helpful for me this year. We'll see how this shakes out next year. I also managed to qualify on UA for Gold. Had I consolidated those travels on AA I'd have probably made the $15k cut but there are times when that's just not possible (routes, prices, etc).
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA.com
The EQMs earned on American-marketed flights on fares booked in “Y” are decreasing from 1.5 EQMs to 1.0 EQMs per mile flown to be more in line with the ticket value.
This doesn't make much sense. Discounted first/business class fares are usually significantly less expensive than full Y fares. Unless they're really focusing this on government Y fares which are probably much much lower. Frankly there's rarely a reason to need to buy a full Y domestically, but on the other hand, often that's the only one-way fare available for overseas flights, and is usually more than discounted J.

Selfishly, I'm glad nothing is changing with the discounted "I" business class fares, there is an argument those should be less (though to be fair, not all I fares are actually so cheap).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.