Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Delta Diamond thinking about making a switch...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Diamond thinking about making a switch...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by JMN57
I think OP may care about benefits relative to free flights

"(x2, as my spouse usually accompanies me, but that's a personal expense)"

My wife accompanies me often for business and mileage tickets do make that less expensive. And, while as a board member companies will often pick up my wife's flight but that usually can be construed as income unless the business REQUIRES my wife's presence.
His Delta AMEX spend is $1M. That's at least 1M SkyPesos. Admittedly it's been a couple years since I've been a regular SpyPesos redeemer, but surely that will cover a few last minute international J tickets?

I feel very confident in saying that if the OP were to shop around, he could spend his ~$70k (or less) and fly F/J 100% of the time.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:15 pm

If the thing that is bugging you about Delta is operational performance, you definitely don't want to switch to AA.

I'm both EXP on AA and DM on DL. There's some good things about AA (and OneWorld vs. SkyTeam especially), but AA is not very good at actually running an airline. Everything from on-time performance to baggage handling to IrrOps recovery is noticeably worse on AA. The EXP desk used to be a strong point, but that's faded over time and I almost always get better customer service from Delta these days too.

Bottom line: based on the things that are bugging you about Delta right now, you will be even more unhappy with AA.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
While DL is probably the best option as your primary airline, I don't see a reason why you need to be totally loyal to them past the DM threshold. You should be able to achieve top-tier status on another airline, which would give you more flexibility based on price/convenience for a particular trip.

I tend to prefer AA's long-haul hard product to DL's for the most part. And IMO, CX/JL are superior to DL or any Skyteam airlines for TPAC travel. Oneworld Emerald is also nice to have. Award tickets on AA, particularly for international J, tend to be less obscenely priced than on DL.

You may find AA to be much cheaper than DL sometimes - when buying F/J, it doesn't make much sense to pay more for a similar product. You should be able to avoid LUS planes by flying through DFW, and may even get a better product (for example, AA flies the 787 on one or more of the DFW-LAX flights each day). Also, the 2x EQM on premium fares is nice.

However, I wouldn't expect to have fewer service issues or change fee waivers (though it doesn't look like you're getting many of those on DL anyway).

Essentially, you should be able to maintain DL as your primary carrier and still get to EXP on AA through occasional domestic flights and international travel on Oneworld airlines.
TheHorta and gmt4 like this.

Last edited by aacar; Nov 4, 2018 at 10:39 pm
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Life. Marriott T/Life, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond,UA 1K
Keep Diamond match 1K

SNA based delta diamond with United 1k and BA lifetime Gold providing AA lounge benefit.
AA usually least preferred, Delta wins from SNA to MSP and especially LAX to Europe. Feels most consistent. United has 787 which I prefer for Australia but imho retain Diamond and 1K and choose based on price/route/aircraft.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
I have been loyal to Delta for decades, but for the past couple of years I have been making decisions in part based on schedule and price. About half of my flights are on other airlines now, and I have Elite status on AA and UA while maintaining Diamond or Platinum on Delta. However, in my view Delta still has the best product and the best service by far. I suggest you try out AA and UA on a limited basis, and see whether you like one or both of them better than DL.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:56 am

Delta is better for domestic travel, but I switched my focus from Delta Gold to AA Plat (and I fly out of ATL a lot) because much of my travel is NOT domestic, and abroad (especially in Asia) OneWorld is superior to SkyTeam I feel. Plus Qatar is my favorite airline overall. This is a specific case though.

If I was focused on USA domestic travel, Delta is the way to go unless AA/UA routes are just perfect for someone.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I think for someone who travels international a fair bit, it would make a lot of sense to split up your travel by what is most convenient - especially if booking F/J. You’ll likely spend less money and have a better overall experience while getting to try new products. I personally do this and hold DM on Delta and EXP on AA.

It’s nice to have a pile of miles to use from both as I enjoy redeeming AA miles for CX/JL/QF/QR F or J and DL for VA/VS/AF J or domestic DL. Both networks have their strengths and that’s the beauty of diversifying - I can choose to fly Oneworld to Hong Kong or Japan and fly the flag carriers and earn AA miles and access their F lounges. The next week, I may need to fly to Amsterdam and can fly DL or KLM where they have a superior schedule. I have become somewhat of a plane snob as when flying internationally, I will try and avoid DL 767/777s and if I can’t get a DL A330/A350, I’ll start looking at AA with their 777/77W/787 fleet or other SkyTeam and Oneworld foreign carriers.

Choice is never a bad thing and if you are spending ~$70K, you’ll shouldn’t have any issue maintaining DM and EXP and getting GUC/Systemwide upgrades on both!
TheHorta likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:54 am

Spending $70k/yr, and not hub captured, could quite possibly see you as a CK on AA. Maybe stop by an Admirals Club and ask to speak to a CK rep, and explain to them what you’re looking for? Just something else for consideration.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:05 am

I realize that you are looking for an AA perspective, and also posted on the UA forum, but my perspective (as an AA guy) is that if I were 1) not hub captive, and 2) doing a lot of TPAC/TATL travel, I would look into UA simply due to the global strength and coverage of *A, both on the earn and burn sides.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Thanks, guys! I really appreciate all of the responses. I had a sneaking suspicion that it would be “Same sh**, different paint” as someone mentioned.

I might stop stop by a club and talk to a CK rep, as someone else recommended as well. However, unless that’s going to yield some appreciable difference in experience I’m leaning heavily toward just sucking it up and living with DL in hopes they pull out of the nosedive they’ve recently been in.

Until earlier this this year I was quite pleased with DL, but it seems like something happened almost suddenly where I had one issue after another that tarnished my overall image of DL and ultimately led me to seek-out the comfort of another woman.

My primary concern was whether this was writing on the wall and that I should make a move before things really got bad. It looks more like this is just the state of affairs with everyone and the things I’m experiencing won’t be any better, and could quite possibly be worse, with anyone else.

I dont mind paying extra for a great product.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure I understand all the day-of-departure change fees. Certainly you're getting same-day confirmed on DL, as there are no inventory requirements for first class SDC - any seat available and it's yours. AA on the other hand requires the original booking inventory to be available, although all first class tickets get free SDC, even non-elites (who have to pay on DL, even on first class).
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I'm not sure I understand all the day-of-departure change fees. Certainly you're getting same-day confirmed on DL, as there are no inventory requirements for first class SDC - any seat available and it's yours. AA on the other hand requires the original booking inventory to be available, although all first class tickets get free SDC, even non-elites (who have to pay on DL, even on first class).
does Delta allow other routings than the original one with connections too?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
does Delta allow other routings than the original one with connections too?
I *think* they allow routing changes, but you can't change from a connection to a nonstop. But I'm not 100% on those rules and differences between the program as I personally don't find myself needing to do that very often. AA doesn't allow any routing change, right?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ijgordon
AA doesn't allow any routing change, right?
Correct, only non stops for SDC.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by TheHorta
Thanks, guys! I really appreciate all of the responses. I had a sneaking suspicion that it would be “Same sh**, different paint” as someone mentioned.

I might stop stop by a club and talk to a CK rep, as someone else recommended as well. However, unless that’s going to yield some appreciable difference in experience I’m leaning heavily toward just sucking it up and living with DL in hopes they pull out of the nosedive they’ve recently been in.

Until earlier this this year I was quite pleased with DL, but it seems like something happened almost suddenly where I had one issue after another that tarnished my overall image of DL and ultimately led me to seek-out the comfort of another woman.

My primary concern was whether this was writing on the wall and that I should make a move before things really got bad. It looks more like this is just the state of affairs with everyone and the things I’m experiencing won’t be any better, and could quite possibly be worse, with anyone else.

I dont mind paying extra for a great product.
Clearly That said, you should seriously look at the airlines that take premium cabin service seriously (Middle East/Asian) on routes you travel and which alliances make sense for those.
CloudCoder likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.