Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Flight Schedule Expansions & Additions 2019

Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis

Bits and pieces out there, but perhaps we can have one thread that sums these up.

Last month, AA published American Airlines Enhances 2019 Schedule.

International routes announced today:

Destination Route Aircraft Frequency Dates
Cuba MIA–SCU Airbus A319 Daily Starts May 3
Mexico DFW–DGO Embraer E140 Daily Starts June 6
Aruba LGA–Queen Beatrix International Airport (AUA) Boeing 737-800 Saturday Starts June 8
Dominican Republic CLT–Las Americas International Airport (SDQ) in Santo Domingo Airbus A320 Saturday Starts June 8
Dominican Republic DFW–SDQ Boeing 737-800 Saturday June 8–Aug. 17
Honduras DFW–Ramon Villeda Morales International Airport (SAP) in San Pedro Sula Airbus A319 4x weekly June 7–Aug. 17
Honduras DFW–Toncontin International Airport (TGU) in Tegucigalpa Airbus A319 3x weekly June 6–Aug. 20

All new routes announced today will be available for sale Oct. 8.

Domestic Additions

American also plans to increase service from its largest hub at DFW. As announced in March, the airline reached a lease agreement with the airport resulting in 15 new regional gates after renovating the Terminal E satellite, which is scheduled for completion during the summer of 2019. As part of the expansion, American will add new service to Valley International Airport (HRL) in Harlingen, Texas, beginning March 3, and launch seven additional domestic routes from DFW:

Beginning March 3, new daily, year-round service:
DFW–Augusta Regional Airport (AGS) in Georgia
DFW–Gainesville Regional Airport (GNV) in Florida
DFW–Yuma International Airport (YUM) in Arizona
DFW–Meadows Field Airport (BFL) in Bakersfield, California
Beginning April 2, new daily service:
DFW–Monterey Regional Airport (MRY) in California (seasonal)
DFW–Flagstaff Pulliam Airport (FLG) in Arizona (year-round)
DFW–Hollywood Burbank Airport (BUR) in California (year-round)

These new routes are part of American’s plan to grow its DFW operations from approximately 800 peak daily departures today to close to 900 peak daily departures next summer.

American will also operate the following new routes next year:

Beginning Feb. 14, new daily service:
Reagan National Airport (DCA) in Washington, D.C.–Will Rogers Airport (OKC) in Oklahoma City
LGA–McGhee Tyson Airport (TYS) in Knoxville, Tennessee
John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) in New York–San Antonio International Airport (SAT) in Texas

Beginning Apr. 2, new daily service:
LAX–Tulsa International Airport (TUL) in Oklahoma

Beginning June 8, new seasonal service:
CLT–Cherry Capital Airport (TVC) in Traverse City, Michigan
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Thank you for consolidating these, JDiver.

I know it's FT style to shorthand airports to their three-letter codes, but it's nice to see the actual names of some of these airports. I especially like this one:

Cherry Capital Airport (TVC) in Traverse City, Michigan
JDiver and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Yes giving the full airport name for smaller less known airports is certainly much nicer than wondering where in the world could that place be? Lots of adds for DFW.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AA LT Plat, DL Silver
It seems like they are squeezing out PHX a bit more with daily DFW service from both YUM and FLG. It's hard to believe that there is enough traffic between either of these cities and DFW to merit even RJ's on a daily basis, but then again I don't fly either of these routes so I could be wrong.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: AA, WN, NK
Originally Posted by JDiver
CLTCherry Capital Airport (TVC) in Traverse City, Michigan
The Cherry Festival is pretty awesome.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by PhxFlyGuy
It seems like they are squeezing out PHX a bit more with daily DFW service from both YUM and FLG. It's hard to believe that there is enough traffic between either of these cities and DFW to merit even RJ's on a daily basis, but then again I don't fly either of these routes so I could be wrong.
I was thinking absolutely the same thing. When I was in phx I remember seeing the little dash 7 flight for FLG. Who from dallas is going to flagstaff? NAU students?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:32 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by enviroian
I was thinking absolutely the same thing. When I was in phx I remember seeing the little dash 7 flight for FLG. Who from dallas is going to flagstaff? NAU students?
Hmm, isn't there a little national park about an hour or so from FLG? Perhaps people from DFW and/or connecting from elsewhere would like to see that, without driving from PHX or LAS. @:-)
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
New routes that went on sale yesterday:

Charlotte – Erie eff 03MAY19 2 daily Embraer ERJ145 (Piedmont Airlines)
Chicago O’Hare – Allentown eff 02APR19 2 daily Embraer ERJ145 (Envoy Air)
Chicago O’Hare – Destin/Ft. Walton Beach eff 09MAR19 1 weekly Embraer E175 (Envoy Air)
Chicago O’Hare – Erie eff 03MAY19 1 daily Embraer ERJ145 (Envoy Air)
Chicago O’Hare – NW Florida Beaches eff 09MAR19 1 weekly CRJ700 (Skywest)
Chicago O’Hare – Pensacola eff 09MAR19 1 weekly Embraer E175 (Envoy Air)
Chicago O’Hare – State College eff 02APR19 2 daily Embraer ERJ145 (Envoy Air)
Los Angeles – Louisville eff 02APR19 1 daily A319
Los Angeles – Tulsa eff 02APR19 1 daily Embraer E175 (Compass Airlines)
Philadelphia – Asheville eff 03MAY19 1 daily Embraer ERJ145 (Piedmont Airlines)
Philadelphia – Chattanooga eff 03MAY19 1 daily Embraer ERJ145 (Piedmont Airlines)
Washington Reagan – Hilton Head Island 04MAY19 – 01SEP19 2 weekly Embraer E175 (Republic Airlines)

Source: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...routes-in-s19/
JDiver likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: AS, AA, WN
Originally Posted by PhxFlyGuy
I flew YUM-PHX for work last spring and I felt like I was the only person not making a connection. Not sure a DFW route would cannibalize PHX so much as just give one more option for a connection....
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Originally Posted by aztimm
Hmm, isn't there a little national park about an hour or so from FLG? Perhaps people from DFW and/or connecting from elsewhere would like to see that, without driving from PHX or LAS. @:-)
Also keep in mind that Flagstaff is a place that people fly from, not just to. There were 22 people on the upgrade standby list for the early flight this morning. Having the flight to DFW will make it much easier to get to destinations east of the Mississippi with one connection rather than two.
C17PSGR and aztimm like this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Check
Also keep in mind that Flagstaff is a place that people fly from, not just to. There were 22 people on the upgrade standby list for the early flight this morning. Having the flight to DFW will make it much easier to get to destinations east of the Mississippi with one connection rather than two.
I honestly think that FLG -DFW could esaily handle 1 daily non-stoo year-round with 2 or 3 daily during the summer peak season.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: American Airlines
I wonder if the Chicago to Allentown flight is a stealth way into NYC. It's about 1.7 hour drive to NYC from ABE, but then again, sometimes easier than from JFK into Manhattan. Just pondering.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:06 pm

What would be the point of that? AA has hourly flights to LGA, and multiple flights to ewr and jfk from ord.

No- the ABE flight is there for people going there in that region of Pennsylvania. There are numerous companies there driving corporate demand. And plenty of people who live there to use the flights for leisure.

Why would people use that to fet to get to nyc? AA has tons of flights there. Odd theory.

QUOTE=Flight44;30422761]
I wonder if the Chicago to Allentown flight is a stealth way into NYC. It's about 1.7 hour drive to NYC from ABE, but then again, sometimes easier than from JFK into Manhattan. Just pondering.
[/QUOTE]
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by jasondc
What would be the point of that? AA has hourly flights to LGA, and multiple flights to ewr and jfk from ord.

No- the ABE flight is there for people going there in that region of Pennsylvania. There are numerous companies there driving corporate demand. And plenty of people who live there to use the flights for leisure.

Why would people use that to fet to get to nyc? AA has tons of flights there. Odd theory.

QUOTE=Flight44;30422761]

Agreed. It also opens up more connections.

I wonder how long AA will keep ABE-PHL flights? At this point, is the point of it only to be competitive with United on capturing Lehigh Valley customers heading to destinations in Europe?

For example, a Lehigh Valley customer could drive to Newark and take a nonstop, but there is the hassle of driving to Newark and maybe parking. AA offers a ABE-PHL-[europe market] and AA is trying to be of better convenience although it is arguable if connecting and dealing with a PHL connection is better than the drive to Newark from Lehigh Valley. I wonder if most in the Lehigh Valley are more likely United FF members over AA.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 6:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by beyondhere
Agreed. It also opens up more connections.

I wonder how long AA will keep ABE-PHL flights? At this point, is the point of it only to be competitive with United on capturing Lehigh Valley customers heading to destinations in Europe?

For example, a Lehigh Valley customer could drive to Newark and take a nonstop, but there is the hassle of driving to Newark and maybe parking. AA offers a ABE-PHL-[europe market] and AA is trying to be of better convenience although it is arguable if connecting and dealing with a PHL connection is better than the drive to Newark from Lehigh Valley. I wonder if most in the Lehigh Valley are more likely United FF members over AA.
I have family in PA who I regularly visit, and I go between flying into AVP and ABE, mostly depending which is less expensive
It is slightly closer to AVP, but ABE isn't a bad drive (except in extreme weather).
I actually flew ABE-PHL-AUS last year. The FA did and announcement of connections and people were connecting to almost everywhere--Europe, and many places in the US.

Back when I was in college, I had a deal on CO and took a bus ABE-EWR then flew EWR-IAH-MFE. The bus really wasn't too bad. I can't remember if I got miles for it, but it was included in the price of the ticket.
Not sure if they still do the bus, but from my school it wasn't too bad (parked at a friend's house, they drove me to ABE).
Periodically I think about flying to EWR, but have not yet done that drive. I've done PHL many times; not bad flying into PHL, but out is a mess, so I prefer the smaller airports.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.