Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ord or DFW better for copay and miles upgrade to CDG?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Is it better to try and get a business upgrade in September using miles/copay to CDG through ORD or DFW.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:26 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Are you asking if:
1. It's more likely to get it through ORD or DFW? If so, what date so folks here can look at loads and weigh in. Or,
2. If the seat/service/club(s) are better in one hub?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

If you’re flexible you can even search for the upgrade space in advance (ExpertFlyer offers a five day trial period, though several of us subscribe). If you can find such space for two, that’s the time to buy, particularly as the upgrade waitlist after type of upgrade prioritizes on 1) elite status (Concierge Key, Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum, Gold, no elite stats), 3) within status tier by amount of qualifying $pend the last 12 months. Without status everyone with status is ahead of you on the waiting list.

Variables include season (September is shoulder season, not as difficult as other times), day of week (Tuesday’s are better than, say, Friday and Saturday), demand (if there’s a major international conference for IT, medicine, etc. you’ve little hope), etc.

See these threads:

FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

and

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Some threads have Wikiposts at the top of the page; these distill a lot of useful information.

Note that I have changed the title of your thread. The more descriptive you can make a thread title, the more likely you’ll attract the eye of people interested or knowledgeable about your specific interest.

Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:29 pm

Watch out for aircraft type. 788 will only have 20 seats in J by then, where a 772 would have 35.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information. I am going to be making reservations the middle of September through first of October. I had heard ORD was better than DFW but was worried about less seats. Miami is another possibility. I am still assuming that along with the status ranks it helps making the reservation early. I am only platinum.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

When I went last year I did go through ORD but it was a different aircraft and had more business seats for the waitlisted business class. I was lucky enough to get upgrades both directions.
Thanks for the help.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Halemurs11
Thanks for all the information. I am going to be making reservations the middle of September through first of October. I had heard ORD was better than DFW but was worried about less seats. Miami is another possibility. I am still assuming that along with the status ranks it helps making the reservation early. I am only platinum.
The upgrade list is now sorted by status and then your rolling 12-mo. EQD. Booking early no longer helps, other than it gets you on the waitlist in the event AA opens up some random upgrade space in the months before the flight.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Nope. Upgrade waitlist priority:

1) Type of upgrade
2) Status tier (CK, EXP, PPRO, PLAT, GLD, no status)
3) Within Status tier, EQD spend last 12 months
4) Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
5) All other things being equal with two requests, time of request breaks the tie (infinitesimally small chance)
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by JDiver
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

...particularly as the upgrade waitlist after type of upgrade prioritizes on 1) elite status...

Originally Posted by JDiver
Nope. Upgrade waitlist priority:

1) Type of upgrade
2) Status tier (CK, EXP, PPRO, PLAT, GLD, no status)...
Yet the Wiki says the first decider in the upgrade is elite status THEN upgrade type. Which is it?

Asked another way, assuming there are two, and only two, people on the upgrade list - one EXP using an SWU and one no-status using Miles plus co-pay -- and one upgrade comes available. Who gets it?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
Yet the Wiki says the first decider in the upgrade is elite status THEN upgrade type. Which is it?

Asked another way, assuming there are two, and only two, people on the upgrade list - one EXP using an SWU and one no-status using Miles plus co-pay -- and one upgrade comes available. Who gets it?
A non rev who knows the GA.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: CK or bust
I am still assuming that along with the status ranks...
Yes, Flyertalk status counts. Elite FT posters are upgraded after non-revs
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:56 am
Original Poster

I looked at going out of LAX to CDG through LHR. It is actually cheaper than out of Phoenix even buying a R/T from PHX to LAX. The aircraft right now is 77W so more business class seats. The first leg is AA and then BA from LHR to CDG. Does anyone have any thoughts on that route?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
The upgrade list is now sorted by status and then your rolling 12-mo. EQD. Booking early no longer helps, other than it gets you on the waitlist in the event AA opens up some random upgrade space in the months before the flight.
Thank you for that information. I didn't realize they used EQD too.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
I looked at going out of LAX to CDG through LHR. It is actually cheaper than out of Phoenix even buying a R/T from PHX to LAX. The aircraft right now is 77W so more business class seats. The first leg is AA and then BA from LHR to CDG. Does anyone have any thoughts on that route?
Well, you wouldn't be able to apply an AA upgrade (SWU or miles + copay) to the LHR to CDG segment, so that is moot. Also, my understanding is that LAX to LHR is a pretty tough upgrade. There is a good bit of paid fliers on that route, as one might expect. But it's always a crapshoot really. You can drive yourself crazy trying to increase your odds, but everything is out the window come the day of the flight. Even a flight you thought was going to be a slam dunk, you find yourself in couch.

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.