Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Our throw back prop aircraft MIA LAX (DC-3 Flagship Knoxville)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Our throw back prop aircraft MIA LAX (DC-3 Flagship Knoxville)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
The few German passengers seemed a bit awkward.
Why, did they not know who won the war?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MarJon
My first AA flt acc in 1955 was in a Connie.... I think...
Nope. AA never had Lockheed Constellations. It may have been a Douglas DC-6B.

My first AA flights were on DC-3s, MEX-MTY-SAT, MEX-MTY-ELP-TUS <overnight> PHX- Los Angeles.

Others prop jobs I flew in included DC-4, -6 and -7, Convair 240 and 440. Lockheed Electra L-188 was prop too, turboprop. Early Electra’s suffered a “whirl mode” where at certain frequencies generated by the engines and wings would cause the wings to break off. Bugger!
MarJon and Superjeff like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:25 pm

Cool, I was also there when that DC3. was tin MIA on 01-NOV-2018 and wondered why as well.

I saw that the people who boarded were all in suit and tie and ladies were in formal dresses, which doesn’t narrow it down at all as to why it was in MIA that day.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: American, Delta, United, Southwest, Marriott, HIlton, Sheraton, Hyatt, Avis, Hertz, National, Sixt
Sky Cradle Club

[QUOTE=SEA-Flyer;30387811]

A recording of FDR’s announcement of what? He was dead before the war ended.
[/

I had one of these too: December, 1948, on an American DC6, from DCA to LGA. Very cool.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: American, Delta, United, Southwest, Marriott, HIlton, Sheraton, Hyatt, Avis, Hertz, National, Sixt
Originally Posted by JDiver
Nope. AA never had Lockheed Constellations. It may have been a Douglas DC-6B.

My first AA flights were on DC-3s, MEX-MTY-SAT, MEX-MTY-ELP-TUS <overnight> PHX- Los Angeles.

Others prop jobs I flew in included DC-4, -6 and -7, Convair 240 and 440. Lockheed Electra L-188 was prop too, turboprop. Early Electra’s suffered a “whirl mode” where at certain frequencies generated by the engines and wings would cause the wings to break off. Bugger!
I'll match you, JDiver :-) My first flight was on an American DC6B DCA-LGA in 1949; I've also flown DC3's, DC6's, DC6B's, DC7, DC7C, Convair 340, 440, 580 (I know, it is a turboprop), Lockheed 649 Constellation, L188 Electra, I missed the DC2 and the larger Connies :-).
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
Thank you JDiver for all you do firstly. Thank you.

History is more recent than we might think (or at 56 I am just older than I realize). My honeymoon in 1984 was transferring from an Eastern 727 at SJU to an Air BVI DC-3 to EIS. There was no rear door; just a cargo net that was fastened over the opening. There was a goat tied to the cargo net being delivered to Tortola. On approach to Tortola, my bride pointed out another DC-3, inverted and submerged at the end of the Tortola runway. Still married. Same wife.

I have been flying commercially from the Eastern Electra days, through the DC-8 to Europe. Oldest AA aircraft were either BAC-111s or 727s (flew on both of them). Remember the F-100 and its brief time? I flew on a VC-10 as a child in the 60s (V, not D). DC-10s on AA with the wooly mammoth seats. Up to the 787 and the 380. Have not been on a 350 yet, although my oldest son came back from Spain on one recently.

As we age, I recall the mantra from my crew team: "the older we get, the better we were."
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by rowingman
Remember the F-100 and its brief time?
Yes, I flew on an F-100 on US Airways in 2001. Wasn't THAT long ago!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.