Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Our throw back prop aircraft MIA LAX (DC-3 Flagship Knoxville)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Our throw back prop aircraft MIA LAX (DC-3 Flagship Knoxville)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
J Diver thanks for your memories. I wish I had been flying back in the golden days. Sure wifi and the ability to book your own flight details is nice. An experience that included being made special by flight crew as well as a level of sophistication (people not dressed like they are getting ready to do yard work) beats that. However, as I understand these props didn't take rough air very well and air sickness was fairly common.
JDiver likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
J Diver thanks for your memories. I wish I had been flying back in the golden days. Sure wifi and the ability to book your own flight details is nice. An experience that included being made special by flight crew as well as a level of sophistication (people not dressed like they are getting ready to do yard work) beats that. However, as I understand these props didn't take rough air very well and air sickness was fairly common.
Not to mention, you likely didn't get a very good view inside the plane due to the haze of cigarette smoke. <cough> <cough>

The "good old days" are good because we have a great ability to remember only the good stuff and conveniently forget all the bad stuff.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
The "good old days" are good because we have a great ability to remember only the good stuff and conveniently forget all the bad stuff.
"Nostalgia is memory with the pain removed" - Herb Caen

I'm not a big fan of cigarette smoke, hot wool suits, or six-stop "direct" flights, but I do enjoy the sound and feel of a prop. The occasional hop around the Mid-Atlantic in a PMUS Dash 8 was enough to scratch that itch for me, but alas that is no more.
JDiver likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: American, Delta, United, Southwest, Marriott, HIlton, Sheraton, Hyatt, Avis, Hertz, National, Sixt
Probably a DC6B or DC7; American never flew Connies.
JDiver likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:36 am

My first airplane trip was from New York (LGA) to Los Angeles in 1951. We stopped in Chicago. It's almost as if I can still feel what it felt like. Beautiful weather all the way, moving to a new city where "there is jobs, and hope and sunshine" my mother told me. She was right!
JDiver likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bigbuy
I flew one in Dec 1986 to Key West on PBA. Think it was from St Pete airport.
Bad weather forced us to divert to MIA on way back from the Keys. Pretty sure we were the last plane in before MIA closed due to weather. It was really rough, but I felt safe it that plane.
My parents divorced when I was 2 years old (dad moved to Boston; mom stayed on Cape Cod), so I logged a lot of time on PBA DC-3s between the ages of 4 and 6 (no UM fuss back then) before they were phased out. I also liked PBA's Martin 4-0-4s and YS11s, and the Cessna 402s were cool because I got to sit in the copilot's seat.
JDiver likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ryan182
OK... so why was it there? Who got to see it, so many questions...
Walked by it yesterday at MIA as well. Sign at the gate said it was for AA employees to tour, also overheard later that for $100 employees could go for a flight as well.
JDiver likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Fraser

I'm not a fan of those modern aircraft!

I had a flight in a 1930s DeHavilland Rapide a few years ago! Plywood galore!

Now THAT is a pretty aircraft! (many of the De Havilland products were...) Lots of problems with that Golden Age of course..... for instance... Sydney to Southampton by Empire (C class) flying boat? 9 overnight stops..... 150 mph cruise..... flying right IN the weather - not above it.... and of course an airfare more than the average annual salary! Still... if you could do it..just once....

Sorry...photo ended up in the wrong place...
JDiver likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: MPGS, 1MM
Used to take those as well -- Martin 404s as well as DC-3s. Keep a PBA model DC-3 on my desk at work....
trooper likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The indomitable Richard Branson’s Vintage Airways flew DC-3s between MCO and EYW in the 1990s. I was doing some work for Sony, NOAA in Tampa - St. Petersburg and a couple of others in Florida so I took a drive to MCO.

The lovely flight included vintage / Vintage uniforms, mascot dig greeting us on the apron, and the pilot came on the PA to announce the war (WW II) had been won and the Germans had capitulated, followed by a recording of FDR’s Truman’s announcement, sounds and descriptions of the jubilation in the NYC streets. The few German passengers seemed a bit awkward.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 2, 2019 at 2:58 pm Reason: Correct
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
An opportunity to view, occasionally to fly on, an AA DC-3-G102* can be had through the Flagship Detroit Foundation. See their schedule here.

*NC17334 / MSN 1920 was built and delivered to in 1937 and was AA’s 21st of 84 DC-3s. She’s the oldest flyable DC-3 in the world. (And even older than I am. )

Notice the rudder is doped fabric.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 3, 2018, 3:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ryan182
OK... so why was it there? Who got to see it, so many questions...
OK I tried google for "Flagship knoxville" and Miami but came up with nothing recent....would someone _please_ give some details on why the plane was there/does this happen often/etc etc?? thanks ^^ A lot of cool memories but I'm still at a loss for why and will it happen again!
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:08 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Always wanted to fly on one of those legends.
I flew on one from Pt. Barrow to Inuvik, Yellowknife and Resolute in 1973. It was a looooong trip. Apparently, they were afraid to take a more direct great circle route.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by JDiver
The indomitable Richard Branson’s Vintage Airways flew DC-3s between MCO and EYW in the 1990s. I was doing some work for Sony, NOAA in Tampa - St. Petersburg and a couple of others in Florida so I took a drive to MCO.

The lovely flight included vintage / Vintage uniforms, mascot dig greeting us on the apron, and the pilot came on the PA to announce the war (WW II) had been won and the Germans had capitulated, followed by a recording of FDR’s announcement, sounds and descriptions of the jubilation in the NYC streets. The few German passengers seemed a bit awkward.
A recording of FDR’s announcement of what? He was dead before the war ended.
GWFan likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by Superjeff
Probably a DC6B or DC7; American never flew Connies.
Hmmmm maybe that was a DC6B that I was wrangling.....
JDiver and MorganB like this.

Last edited by MarJon; Jan 2, 2019 at 12:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.