Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status

AA generally offers members reasonably close to requalifying for status near the end of the year the option to buy back their existing status, or on occasion to buy up to the next highest status tier.

These offers are generally made by email to AAdvantage members beginning some time in November.

If you have not received an offer or would like to see your offer (if any), you can see it by visiting https://elite.aa.com

If you haven’t flown sufficiently, you’ll probably sign in and see

No offers available

Thanks for visiting. Our records show that you’re not eligible to receive an fifer at this time. If you need more information about your account, visit aa.com/youraccount
Please peruse this thread to see offers reported by members.
Print Wikipost

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium + LT Gold
Ways To Get 80 EQDs

Need about 80 EQDs to qualify for the next status tier. I don't have any flights coming up. Is there a way to meet the EQD without actually flying? Can I purchase a one way flight and no show?
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by festriaqua
Need about 80 EQDs to qualify for the next status tier. I don't have any flights coming up. Is there a way to meet the EQD without actually flying? Can I purchase a one way flight and no show?
Must fly.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
No show, no EQ-anything. Must fly, as when you’re checked in boarding atbthe gate is the trigger.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
$171 r/t to Vegas on 12/30. Viva Las Vegas!
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP; (HP-FF>US DM - RIP);Marriott Lifetime Plat and a bunch of others
Last miles finally posted and my "offer" did come down. If I do the Buy Back on January 2nd (my read is I have until July to do so....is that correct?), will this count as EQD's for 2019? That would also put the spend on the CC for 2019.......

Thx
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by talkandfly
Last miles finally posted and my "offer" did come down. If I do the Buy Back on January 2nd (my read is I have until July to do so....is that correct?), will this count as EQD's for 2019? That would also put the spend on the CC for 2019.......
EQDs are computed on a 12-month rolling basis, not by calendar year. So they would likely be included in your total for 12 months after you purchase the buy-up.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Science Goy
EQDs are computed on a 12-month rolling basis, not by calendar year. So they would likely be included in your total for 12 months after you purchase the buy-up.
I think the point was that the spend would count towards 2019 EQD qualifications. If the EQD in 2018 has no benefit, moving it to 2019 has value.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP; (HP-FF>US DM - RIP);Marriott Lifetime Plat and a bunch of others
Originally Posted by JMN57
I think the point was that the spend would count towards 2019 EQD qualifications. If the EQD in 2018 has no benefit, moving it to 2019 has value.
Exactly. No need to add to the 2018 spend but 2019 gets me spend towards 2019 CC spend and the 2019 EQD. I have read the fine print over and over and am pretty sure that the Buy Up will work after Jan 1 (until July). Am I missing anything?

Best of the holiday season to all.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Have been PLT for a few years. Just got back to GLD over the weekend with no further flying planned. Before hitting GLD my offers were $445 to buy GLD or $1465 to buy PLT. Now the GLD offer has disappeared but the PLT offer is the same. Surely a better PLT offer is coming now that I've hit GLD?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
I think AA prices the buy up offers at roughly $200/hr for flight times, which would roughly come to $200/(300-400 miles range). I was ~2500 miles short and my offer was $1395. Luckily I found a $290 F fare for PDX-PHX-SFO and on my way from Alaska hopped off at PDX to take this long route home which netted me 3500 EQM.

$200/hr is roughly what a good solo practitioner in finance, consulting, law, IT charges, the core of the AA business traveller. The bean counters at AA HQ know what they are doing.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
adding some data:
My partner is $113 EQDs short of EXP with more than enough EQMs. Her buy up offer is $395. She'll probably do, stings a bit but worth it.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Alright, could use some opinions in making my decision here. The year is about to end and I'm $1,046 EQDs short of hitting EXP.

My wife and I are moving to Amsterdam in less than 2 weeks and I think we're going to go with BA as our new airline for crediting FF to. My buy up offer is $1,435. EXP would get me OWE which really would get me access to 1st class lounges + Fast Track (not concerned about 1st class check-in). Plus the 4 SWUs which I could probably get some good use out of next year. Simple question, do you think those additional benefits are worth $1,435?

Last edited by Youngtraveldude; Dec 31, 2018 at 3:33 pm
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Youngtraveldude
Alright, could use some opinions in making my decision here. The year is about to end and I'm $1,046 EQDs short of hitting EXP.

My wife and I are moving to Amsterdam in less than 2 weeks and I think we're going to go with BA as our new airline for crediting FF to. My buy up offer is $1,435. EXP would get me OWE which really would get me access to 1st class lounges + Fast Track (not concerned about 1st class check-in). Plus the 4 SWUs which I could probably get some good use out of next year. Simple question, do you think those additional benefits are worth $1,435?
Given you are $1046 short of EQD and the offer is $1435 that seems pretty reasonable - increment of $389.

If you use the 4 SWUs on TATL flights, that will save you $1400 plus 100k miles - so basically you pay the same but save 100k miles (almost 1 RT J Saver TATL)

Plus OWE benefits as an AA flyer (and given you'll be in AMS that's basically all flights where there is a OW lounge).

As long as you use the 4 SWUs, it's a no brainer.

ADDED: I'd think about whether you want to credit to AA or BA. For those SWUs I'm not sure you can pull that off without booking an AA ticket. Whether you can then use your BA # for credit isn't clear to me.

Last edited by JMN57; Jan 1, 2019 at 3:17 pm
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:23 pm
amm

Originally Posted by talkandfly
Exactly. No need to add to the 2018 spend but 2019 gets me spend towards 2019 CC spend and the 2019 EQD. I have read the fine print over and over and am pretty sure that the Buy Up will work after Jan 1 (until July). Am I missing anything?

Best of the holiday season to all.
Just took advantage of the buy up and the cost got added to my 2018 EQD, not 2019.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Offered $1075 for Gold. Hit 23.5K EQM in 2018. Nothing booked for 2019 (yet).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.