Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status

AA generally offers members reasonably close to requalifying for status near the end of the year the option to buy back their existing status, or on occasion to buy up to the next highest status tier.

These offers are generally made by email to AAdvantage members beginning some time in November.

If you have not received an offer or would like to see your offer (if any), you can see it by visiting https://elite.aa.com

If you haven’t flown sufficiently, you’ll probably sign in and see

No offers available

Thanks for visiting. Our records show that you’re not eligible to receive an fifer at this time. If you need more information about your account, visit aa.com/youraccount
Please peruse this thread to see offers reported by members.
Print Wikipost

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
I was EXP for a few years with AA before switching to DL. As I was burning my SWUs in 2017, I managed to requalify for Platinum for 2018. Didn't use the benefits at all this year, 0 MQM or MQDs. I had an AA Barclays Red, but canceled it, but I still maintain a handful of AA Plats and MileUp cards from Citi.

The offer this year? $699 for Gold, $1299 for Platinum. It makes sense -- on the books, I was probably a very low-cost platinum, so if they can extract some cash from me for a status that I'll likely not use, why not offer a low-ish offer than usual? The $1299 is a little less than what I would spend on mileage runs to get Platinum ordinarily.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by jfinsocal
The only way I can see this making sense is if you have a lot (20+) of 500 mile upgrades in your account that would be orphaned.
I was under the impression that 500-mile upgrades do not expire and could be used even if one loses elite status. Am I wrong?

I'm at 2511 EQD, 19,464 EQM, and 22 EQS, but no more travel planned in 2018. Had Gold status for several years in a row. Their current offer to me is retaining Gold for $579. I am probably going to let it lapse at that price. I will likely be traveling less in 2019. I do not have any work trips on the books at the moment and I expect my leisure travel will be less than what I typically do in a year. The free checked bag is nice when the whole family is traveling, but the fees over a year would cost a lot less than $579.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
Was sitting at $27k EQD and 89k EQM with a $2295 offer to retain EXP. Weekend mileage run got me to 98k EQM with no change in offer. Crossing 99k EQM a day later dropped the offer to $1095. I don't know whether the threshold for the offer change really is that high, or that there was a lag in refreshing the offers. Was substantially cheaper to do the run, and will end year at 100,027. These offers only appear to make sense for people with no schedule flexibility at all - but in nearly all cases a mileage run will be cheaper.
Well - a lag is probably part of the story. I crossed 100k last night and aa.com already shows that I requalified, but elite.aa.com is still offering me to requalify I suppose for a 2nd time at $1095.

Last edited by stewlevine; Dec 21, 2018 at 11:18 am
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
My offer started at $1495 for retaining Plat; then $1315; then $815 when I was about $1000 short of EQD.

But, I took Often1's advice and booked a planned December trip in F to ensure EQDs. That put me over the top for Plat.

And my offer to "retain" Plat is still $815.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA PPro, 1MM
Cleared 12k EQD and am sitting at 98,215 EQM and am being offered $1299 to boost to EXP. Damn AA.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by yorock
I was under the impression that 500-mile upgrades do not expire and could be used even if one loses elite status. Am I wrong?
They used to be good for upgrades from full Y fares for non-elites. I believe they now just sit in your account dormant until you (hopefully) regain status and qualify to use them.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
I was at $25K spend and about 4.5K miles short of EXP. My offer was $1595, down from $2495 a week ago. I took it so that I didn't have to cram in another flight for the year. I'm happy to have the option and glad my flying is over for the year.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
I had an offer to Platinum... earned it. Then an offer to Platinum Pro... earned it. It's been over a week, and the site still says NO OFFER for me. Oh well. With all the travel I have planned in Q1 2019 it would be nice to get a shot at an EXP Challenge!
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: AA
My "New lower price: Your 2019 elite status" email arrived with an offer to pay $1195 to retain EXP for 2019. At the time I had approx 14k EQDs, 65K EQMs and 116 EQSs with a 4 EQS flight booked already. Not sure why anyone would purchase this offer, must be a computer algorithm that sends these emails out. Yes, my EQMs are low, I fly mostly regional from Florida to the east coast/midwest and back. I also flew almost enough for silver on Delta. I will make EXP for 2019 on December 21st when I complete my last business flight of the year.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by phazedowt
Cleared 12k EQD and am sitting at 98,215 EQM and am being offered $1299 to boost to EXP. Damn AA.
You might have to take it to retain - I was looking at some sample fares next week from ORD (your assumed location) and paid F just about anywhere is not to much less than their offer to you. And you'd have to burn the day or part of it.

I was in the same situation as you after last week's trip to PHX and I finished my mile run a two hours ago JFK-BOS in F - was $458, but I rode in front on the 328.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
if there is going to be an updated offer, about how long after flights does it seem to come through?
I was at 11.5K EQD and 80K EQM and had an offer for 2765. to boost to EXP
Now at 14.5K EQD and 91K EQM.
Not necessarily expecting a better offer but given some of what I see in this thread, it seems possible. I'd just weigh it against a last minute mileage run and it could be worth it since I have some flights where the SWU would be valuable. not at 2765 though

AJ
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by aj411
if there is going to be an updated offer, about how long after flights does it seem to come through?
For me it seems to take a few days. I haven't been checking every day so hard to be precise but I would say around 4 or 5 days. I suspect they run batch updates .

Edit to add: Mine just updated today from a flight flown Tuesday with miles posting Wednesday.

Last edited by MorganB; Dec 21, 2018 at 5:32 am
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by aj411
Now at 14.5K EQD and 91K EQM.
Not necessarily expecting a better offer but given some of what I see in this thread, it seems possible. I'd just weigh it against a last minute mileage run and it could be worth it since I have some flights where the SWU would be valuable. not at 2765 though

AJ
I feel a little insulted - my offer is $2895 to boost to EXP and you got an offer for $130 less with less EQD and EQM?

18,209 (EQDs)
83,902 (EQMs)
61 Segments (EQSs)
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by MorganB
I had no offer for the EQD/EQM below :

To an offer for Executive Platinum at $2645 with EQD / EQM below :

I still have two more round trip flights before the 31st and one flown but not posted segment so I should make it without a buy up.
Thought I would post my next offer :

Offer is now $1895

Last edited by MorganB; Dec 21, 2018 at 7:12 am
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MorganB
For me it seems to take a few days. I haven't been checking every day so hard to be precise but I would say around 4 or 5 days. I suspect they run batch updates .

Edit to add: Mine just updated today from a flight flown Tuesday with miles posting Wednesday.
My miles updated very quickly (within a day or two) but haven't seen an offer update.Will give it a bit more time and maybe call. the anything under 2000 would be worth considering for me given the cost/benefits we use

Though maybe I should feel lucky we got an offer at all - even if I wouldn't use it at that price

AJ

UPDATE: Just checked and new offer posted this morning of 1995. Last flight flown Monday, miles updated in account Tuesday (soonest that I checked), new offer on Friday.
MorganB likes this.

Last edited by aj411; Dec 21, 2018 at 7:04 am Reason: update info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.