Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status

AA generally offers members reasonably close to requalifying for status near the end of the year the option to buy back their existing status, or on occasion to buy up to the next highest status tier.

These offers are generally made by email to AAdvantage members beginning some time in November.

If you have not received an offer or would like to see your offer (if any), you can see it by visiting https://elite.aa.com

If you haven’t flown sufficiently, you’ll probably sign in and see

No offers available

Thanks for visiting. Our records show that you’re not eligible to receive an fifer at this time. If you need more information about your account, visit aa.com/youraccount
Please peruse this thread to see offers reported by members.
Print Wikipost

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
EQD 7.5K
EQM 59.5K
EQS 19

No offer showing. I have my return flight from Cancun at the weekend and then a TATL in J on BA on 001 stock so should hit the EQD, but a schedule change on the Cancun flight home in F means that I’ll just come up short on EQM for PPRO (it was originally CUN-CLT-SAN, but AA switched it to CUN-DFW-SAN, so I lose out on around 2K of EQM after the class bonus is applied)
why did they change it?

if it was a schedule change you might be able to route differently to hit the number. For example, CUN-ORD-SAN is 50 miles longer than the CLT routing (and you may be able to get on the 787 between CUN and ORD)
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Head
Ha. Not making a mockery. Was genuinely curious, as when I checked I didn’t have any flights booked. I’ll now cross the EP threshold this week with miles, and the segments will follow in the next two weeks.

Yeah, actually a useful data point, don't mean to discount it. I just couldn't get past the irony of a CK getting a buyup to EXP offer and was already down pretty far into making fun of things.

Originally Posted by Head
I like to think of myself as a CK anomaly. If I’m not flying TPAC then I’m required to book coach (whatever Concur spits out), so the 100% Upgrade is important to me. The Caddy is just icing on the cake. Last year, I made 8 (I think) TPACs in J (all DFW-HKG for the TPAC segments), this year, 0. I have made several TATL flights, but they are booked in whatever coach class Concur spits out. I have been able to use 9 of 10 SWUs. The other J was the only option when booking.

Yeah, I'd agree that's probably an outlier pattern for a CK. Awesome one though...you actually get to cash in on the biggest benefit. Granted, the Caddy is pretty cool...but domestic upgrades are 95% of the reason I care about status, so if I was already buying J (like most CKs, not you), the value goes down pretty fast.
Head likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by Antarius
why did they change it?

if it was a schedule change you might be able to route differently to hit the number. For example, CUN-ORD-SAN is 50 miles longer than the CLT routing (and you may be able to get on the 787 between CUN and ORD)
AA changed the departure time on the CLT-SAN flight which brought it under the MCT, so I got switched to the CUN-DFW-SAN route.

As for the ORD routing, we were originally scheduled for SAN-CLT-CUN on the outbound flight, but they deleted the SAN-CLT redeye that evening and as the SAN-MIA redeye was full in F that evening, I asked for the SAN-ORD-CUN routing. About a month after switching, they changed out the scheduled 737 for a 787, so that one worked out nicely (apart from the fact that I did get to see some snow for the first time in years as it was snowing when we landed at ORD on the Saturday before Thanksgiving)
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Explorist, DL Silver
Angry

Originally Posted by OCCAFlyer
I'm at $8,813 EQD (need $187 for PP) and 74,839 EQM (need 161 for PP) and the offer is $995. I have a trip to ORD scheduled for Monday that will put me over anyway, but I was just curious what it would be since it's pretty close.
This makes me a little cranky. I have met the EQD for PP and am 52 EQMs short for PP and my offer is $1195. It didn't update when my last trip udpated the totals, either.

Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by waalien
This makes me a little cranky. I have met the EQD for PP and am 52 EQMs short for PP and my offer is $1195. It didn't update when my last trip udpated the totals, either.

Why cranky? It's just another option in case you simply can't fly BIS miles on a single segment to achieve PP.

Again, if you're expecting them to dump a $99 or $49 or $29 offer on you, you're in fantasy land.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: UA gold, AA Plat, HHonors diamond, DL DM
I am at 99,9XX EQM, 20K in spending and 88 segments. My boost offer to EXP is $1495. No additional comment.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Currently plat. 527 spend and 3160 miles (moved back to UA). 699 for gold, 1299 for plat.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:39 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by MIA-SAT
I am at 99,9XX EQM, 20K in spending and 88 segments. My boost offer to EXP is $1495. No additional comment.
Just to compare. I'll leave it to others to draw conclusions.

I am currently sitting at $11.6K in spending, 97K EQMs, and 32 segments.

My boost offer to EXP is $1295.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Again, if you're expecting them to dump a $99 or $49 or $29 offer on you, you're in fantasy land.
I love that daydream as well but it's never going to happen.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
EQD 7.5K
EQM 59.5K
EQS 19

No offer showing. I have my return flight from Cancun at the weekend and then a TATL in J on BA on 001 stock so should hit the EQD, but a schedule change on the Cancun flight home in F means that I’ll just come up short on EQM for PPRO (it was originally CUN-CLT-SAN, but AA switched it to CUN-DFW-SAN, so I lose out on around 2K of EQM after the class bonus is applied)
The CUN-DFW flight posted yesterday morning and the DFW-SAN flight posted this morning. The CUN-DFW leg was rebooked into J, so I ended up with 3x EQM, so I got an extra 1000+ miles vs. what I was expecting. My fear was that I was going to be a few hundred EQMs short of PPRO with the new routing, but that extra 1K EQM will add more than enough buffer as I’m now at 65K EQM with a flight on BA CW from LAX to LHR on 001 stock, so that is worth another 10.8K EQM still to fly.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Explorist, DL Silver
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Why cranky? It's just another option in case you simply can't fly BIS miles on a single segment to achieve PP.

I expected my offer to be less than someone who needs more EQMs/EQDs than I do. Not $200 more.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by swingaling
I’m short of EXP by 80 EQD and 700 EQM. Buy up offer is $1,445. Terrible offer.
I got the same offer, but $30 less and I am $1200 EQD and 1800 EQM short to get GOLD. So I got a better offer? If you look at it that way. Either way, I'm not buying. Even if I can use my AA Advantage Credit card to triple the miles.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
I'm just 50 EQM short of EXP (already hit the EQD) and I got a buy-up offer of $595. I can't see them offering an EXP boost any lower than that.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:07 pm
amm

EQD: 11,579
EQM: 75,124
EQS: 64

No offer for EXP. Even before I hit the PlatPro qualifications, I had no offer. Anyone know if you don’t get a buy up offer if you took advantage of a offer in previous years? I’ve got some travel that will leave me a little over 15k eqm short and I’d consider an EXP buy up since I won’t have time for a mileage run.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by amm
EQD: 11,579
EQM: 75,124
EQS: 64

No offer for EXP. Even before I hit the PlatPro qualifications, I had no offer. Anyone know if you don’t get a buy up offer if you took advantage of a offer in previous years? I’ve got some travel that will leave me a little over 15k eqm short and I’d consider an EXP buy up since I won’t have time for a mileage run.
I'm in a similar boat:
EQD: 12,003
EQM: 83,055
EQS: 20

... and no EXP offer. I did have a PPro offer, but it went away when I passed 75K. I've been EXP the past two years without taking a buy up offer. I wonder if they hold EQMs/EQDs from credit card partners against you. I'm looking into a mileage run, but it's going to be hard to find time pull off 17K EQM for substantially less than the offers that have been going around. (Which may be the reason they are not making an offer :-) )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.