Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019

Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status

AA generally offers members reasonably close to requalifying for status near the end of the year the option to buy back their existing status, or on occasion to buy up to the next highest status tier.

These offers are generally made by email to AAdvantage members beginning some time in November.

If you have not received an offer or would like to see your offer (if any), you can see it by visiting https://elite.aa.com

If you havent flown sufficiently, youll probably sign in and see

No offers available

Thanks for visiting. Our records show that youre not eligible to receive an fifer at this time. If you need more information about your account, visit aa.com/youraccount
Please peruse this thread to see offers reported by members.
Print Wikipost

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019

Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by NavSTL
Update: now that another trip is on the books, situation is 13.9k EQD, 97.9k EQM, 22 EQS. Offer price is alllllllll the way down to $1495.
Honestly, if you're looking for $99 offers, you're going to be looking a long time.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I am within 4000 EQM of EXP (22k EQD), and have 3 upcoming booked flights following thanksgiving that will more than give me enough EQM, but they lowered my offer to $1295 from $1795. How gracious of them.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:14 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Currently stand at:

EQD - $8K
EQM - 70K
EQS - 28

The offer for PPro is $1,245.

I just took 3 flights on QR in biz this week that I am still waiting to post, but if I didnt have any more trips booked I would probably buy up as free SDC and domestic upgrades would be worthwhile IMO.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
I earned EP for 5 years, until 2017 when I moved to a job with much less travel. I occasionally enjoyed EP benefits for that last year, and then in 2018 I dropped to Lifetime Gold.

Mid-year I changed roles again, and I am back on the road. My numbers-to-date, with most of it since July, are:

EQD: 9,699
EQM: 63,823
EQS: 52.5

I was offered a buy-up to Platinum just before I earned it, and I do not currently have an offer to Platinum Pro. MY PPro EQD's are satisfied, and after a trip next week to Grand Cayman, I will be less than 10k EQM shy of PPro.

By the end of this year I will have spent over $40k on my Citi World Elite card, and this should result in an additional 10k EQM.

My question is: When do the EQMs earned from the Citi World Elite card actually count? So if on 12/26/2018 I hit the $40k spend, those EQMs probably won't post until several weeks into 2019. Do the EQMs apply to the 2019 earning year or 2018, resulting in me earning PPro?
Old Nov 22, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by JetAway
No surprise. USAir did this every year. You could even buy Chairman-the top tier straight up.
It's free money for AA.
United and American let you "buy" CK and GS for $50,000.00. It is not quite free money for them but you are having to purchase upfront a class of service which is much more lucrative for them (CK; GS) or fly a lot (>>100k GS).
Old Nov 22, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Scott Carroll
I earned EP for 5 years, until 2017 when I moved to a job with much less travel. I occasionally enjoyed EP benefits for that last year, and then in 2018 I dropped to Lifetime Gold.

Mid-year I changed roles again, and I am back on the road. My numbers-to-date, with most of it since July, are:

EQD: 9,699
EQM: 63,823
EQS: 52.5

I was offered a buy-up to Platinum just before I earned it, and I do not currently have an offer to Platinum Pro. MY PPro EQD's are satisfied, and after a trip next week to Grand Cayman, I will be less than 10k EQM shy of PPro.

By the end of this year I will have spent over $40k on my Citi World Elite card, and this should result in an additional 10k EQM.

My question is: When do the EQMs earned from the Citi World Elite card actually count? So if on 12/26/2018 I hit the $40k spend, those EQMs probably won't post until several weeks into 2019. Do the EQMs apply to the 2019 earning year or 2018, resulting in me earning PPro?
My EQMs posted with a few days of my statement date. It might depend on when your statement date is.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
EQD 7.5K
EQM 59.5K
EQS 19

No offer showing. I have my return flight from Cancun at the weekend and then a TATL in J on BA on 001 stock so should hit the EQD, but a schedule change on the Cancun flight home in F means that I’ll just come up short on EQM for PPRO (it was originally CUN-CLT-SAN, but AA switched it to CUN-DFW-SAN, so I lose out on around 2K of EQM after the class bonus is applied)
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Current Gold. I only have 13,290 EQM and $2,300 EQD this year, offer is $749 for Gold. I have switched most flying to Delta this year, but American remains a useful option that I intend to keep. Will focus on earning Delta Gold next year, but it would be nice to have AA Gold to fall back on...
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: AA Platinum
I got the offer email when I was still gold and it was around $800 to buy platinum but I already had travel booked to get me there. Now that I'm platinum I have no offer available.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Michael D
United and American let you "buy" CK and GS for $50,000.00. It is not quite free money for them but you are having to purchase upfront a class of service which is much more lucrative for them (CK; GS) or fly a lot (>>100k GS).
Chairman was much less expensive. I forget the exact amount but less than $5K. Intended for executives and others who fly rarely but want perks when they do. In that sense, it was free money for USAir.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Deleted
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
A 4900 mi LAX-NYC RT can be done for as little as $250. I'd take it.
i have one or two of these planned although I might be just short so it may be a JFK LAX SFO JFK loop.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
I requaled EXP a couple weeks ago, probably on my last flight of the year. Just checked the offer site and I have NO offer for CK at all. Jeez what a terrible company AA is now, no respect for us maniac flyerpax! Thanks Dougie!

Originally Posted by enpremiere
I'm just holding out for my CK boost up offer which is surely in the works.

Intended to be humorous
How dare you make the same joke I was planning on making, two whole weeks before I made it!

Originally Posted by donotblink
I know it wont be offered, but how much would you pay for concierge key?
I'd give something like $2k to go EXP->CK. That's probably higher than warranted strictly-financially, but winning pretty much every upgrade list and the invaluable cool factor would be worth it to me. Of course I'd be the slumming CK that actually cares about upgrades; most of those guys are flying in paid-J anyway so who cares? IMO CK is way more valuable to all of us that won't ever get it than it is to the people who actually will.

Originally Posted by hjz77
Throw me a lifetime EXP buyout
This I would pay a great deal for.

Originally Posted by Head
Out of curiosity, I checked to see if I had an offer.

Currently CK
EQDs - 30k
EQMs - 97k
EQS - 103

No offer to get to ExP. Fortunately I will cross the threshold next week.
Sir, are you making a mockery of these proceedings!? Oh, right, good then, that's what I was doing too...
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by JetAway
Chairman was much less expensive. I forget the exact amount but less than $5K. Intended for executives and others who fly rarely but want perks when they do. In that sense, it was free money for USAir.
I think the last year before the merger it was $2999 and only required one mile flown in current year to qualify for the offer.

Very good deal compared to current Buy Up offers.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Platinum Premier, AA - CK
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
I'd give something like $2k to go EXP->CK. That's probably higher than warranted strictly-financially, but winning pretty much every upgrade list and the invaluable cool factor would be worth it to me. Of course I'd be the slumming CK that actually cares about upgrades; most of those guys are flying in paid-J anyway so who cares? IMO CK is way more valuable to all of us that won't ever get it than it is to the people who actually wil

Sir, are you making a mockery of these proceedings!? Oh, right, good then, that's what I was doing too...

Ha. Not making a mockery. Was genuinely curious, as when I checked I didnt have any flights booked. Ill now cross the EP threshold this week with miles, and the segments will follow in the next two weeks.

I like to think of myself as a CK anomaly. If Im not flying TPAC then Im required to book coach (whatever Concur spits out), so the 100% Upgrade is important to me. The Caddy is just icing on the cake. Last year, I made 8 (I think) TPACs in J (all DFW-HKG for the TPAC segments), this year, 0. I have made several TATL flights, but they are booked in whatever coach class Concur spits out. I have been able to use 9 of 10 SWUs. The other J was the only option when booking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.