Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019

Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status

AA generally offers members reasonably close to requalifying for status near the end of the year the option to buy back their existing status, or on occasion to buy up to the next highest status tier.

These offers are generally made by email to AAdvantage members beginning some time in November.

If you have not received an offer or would like to see your offer (if any), you can see it by visiting https://elite.aa.com

If you haven’t flown sufficiently, you’ll probably sign in and see

No offers available

Thanks for visiting. Our records show that you’re not eligible to receive an fifer at this time. If you need more information about your account, visit aa.com/youraccount
Please peruse this thread to see offers reported by members.
Print Wikipost

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019

Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I didn't get an offer, but I flew so little in 2017 that I had to buy gold for 2018, and for 2018 I just went over Plat and expect to hit PP by year-end.

It does seem a little curious that they don't check travel already booked under your Aadvantage number and see what you're likely to hit. Then again, it doesn't cost them anything to make an offer, does it?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA PPro, 1MM
Currently Executive Platinum but with only 62,218 EQM and 7,409 EQD for YTD. Offered Platinum Pro for $1765.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA PPro, 1MM
Originally Posted by Centurion
Offered Exec Plat for $695. Im less than 20EQM short so just one flight anywhere in the world on a one world partner and I am good. My EQDs well beyond 15,000. I guess I need to look at the shortest commercial flight threads.
$695 when you're only 20 EQM short!!!?? This seems to sum up the new AA and its approach to revenue...
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Current EXP with 15K EQDs and 80K EQMs with travel booked to far surpass the 100K in the next month, checked for giggles: $2795 LOL! I suppose its free money for AA so why not throw it out there, and since they keep doing it I guess it they must get some takers, but seems like a really bad value.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by phazedowt
$695 when you're only 20 EQM short!!!?? This seems to sum up the new AA and its approach to revenue...
I mean, the pricing isn't unreasonable. Unless you already have flights booked where you can adjust the routing, obtaining that last 20 eqm means getting on a roundtrip flight to somewhere, likely taking up a day of your time and costing $100+. It'd be worth my while to just pay the cash.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:17 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Centurion
Offered Exec Plat for $695. Im less than 20EQM short so just one flight anywhere in the world on a one world partner and I am good. My EQDs well beyond 15,000. I guess I need to look at the shortest commercial flight threads.
For $150 on Dec 4 you can take a one way PHX-TUS and drive home (maybe $50 for a one way rental car?)
It's even cheaper ($132 Dec 4) to do a R/T to LAS in basic economy and still earn 500 EQM at the 50% B fare earning.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:37 pm

Offered platinum pro for $995. Will hit that tomorrow with a short flight and EXP by year end with currently booked flights.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by phazedowt
I'm at 5550 EQD 64 EQS 39kEQM offer $675. Ignoring the fact I have 600 EQD in future tickets already purchased.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
I'm currently Plat. At 11K EQD, 42.7K EQM. My offer to retain Plat is $1055. Doesn't seem worth it. Was hoping to fit in a MR before the end of the year, but work and family obligations won't allow. Guess I'll settle for gold for a year. I don't see much difference to be honest except for AC/FL access on international trips, but I won't have many of those next year anyway.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
I am currently EXP and hit PPRO last evening. My offer was $1,145 to PPRO today, most likely base on spend of $14.8k and EQM of about 72k before my trip the last two days. While I hope to requalify to EXP again with one definite and one probable JFK-California trips and one mid con MR, I thought the offer was a bit expensive. As noted earlier, we understand the offers are dynamic, so I would expect a modified (very expensive offer) to requalify to EXP from where I am right now.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
My wife is at $3168 EQD, 17,282 EQM. She was offered Gold for $435.
It actually isn't the worst offer I've seen, compared to the price of a 7,700 mile run. We almost spent $1000 for our FC trip to North Carolina in October which would have secured her status but we are giving Delta a chance for a bit.

I am at $362 EQD and 2,294 EQM. I was offered Gold for $699. Of course, Gold isn't worth that much, but I thought it was interesting because I'm way off the mark this year (after being elite since 2015) because I flew on points, and the buy-up doesn't even put me up to the EQD mark as many offers do.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by redtop43
I didn't get an offer, but I flew so little in 2017 that I had to buy gold for 2018, and for 2018 I just went over Plat and expect to hit PP by year-end.

It does seem a little curious that they don't check travel already booked under your Aadvantage number and see what you're likely to hit. Then again, it doesn't cost them anything to make an offer, does it?
Knowing our group, if they found out that AA was including future travel already booked, there would be a massive run on refundable future bookings so as to secure a cheap buyup.
WoodyWindy, NikOnJava and GWFan like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:37 am

2 legs short of Platinum and today got an offer to get Platinum for $939!!
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Terrible platform for this - I just made EXP miles last night - had EQD's. All posted more than 24 hours and still elite.aa.com says "Secure your Executive Platinum status for 2019" for $495.

Hmmm, can I hit the trigger to get an extra 4 SWU's
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Terrible platform for this - I just made EXP miles last night - had EQD's. All posted more than 24 hours and still elite.aa.com says "Secure your Executive Platinum status for 2019" for $495.

Hmmm, can I hit the trigger to get an extra 4 SWU's
That would be such a good deal if it were possible!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.