Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status

AA generally offers members reasonably close to requalifying for status near the end of the year the option to buy back their existing status, or on occasion to buy up to the next highest status tier.

These offers are generally made by email to AAdvantage members beginning some time in November.

If you have not received an offer or would like to see your offer (if any), you can see it by visiting https://elite.aa.com

If you haven’t flown sufficiently, you’ll probably sign in and see

No offers available

Thanks for visiting. Our records show that you’re not eligible to receive an fifer at this time. If you need more information about your account, visit aa.com/youraccount
Please peruse this thread to see offers reported by members.
Print Wikipost

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Segments

Yes, the offers are dynamic.
Good to know. I have one more trip just booked last night, lets see what new offer is after i take it.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by AtomicLush
I think this is the first time I've seen an offer that requires you to pay LESS than the EQD needed for the tier.
I'm at 3596 EQD/49,152 EQM and my buyback offer was $1299.
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:48 pm

I got a platinum offer for $695. I'm 837 eqm away from qualifying.

I will qualify in a few days and am hopping for a reasonable platpro offer!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Originally Posted by aagiants

I had a $795 offer to Platinum. I earned Platinum about 10 days ago, so I was curious about my new offer to Platinum Pro. Now it says I have no offer.

Last edited by Beachfun71; Nov 19, 2018 at 8:28 am
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by Scott Carroll

I had a $795 offer to Platinum. I earned Platinum about 10 days ago, so I was curious about my new offer to Platinum Pro. Now it says I have no offer.
I had an offer for Platinum Pro but the offer came the day I earned it. I now have no offer also. One thing I did notice is the Platinum Pro offer remained for a few days before it switched to no offer so there is some sort of lag between the offer and actual earned EQM/EQD/Seg. I've read that you must be beyond a certain threshold towards the next level before a new offer comes in. I'm hoping to make EP without needing an offer but will be close so I anticipate an offer by the end of the year.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aagiants

I doubt it will be anywhere near as low as $695 unless you are very close to making platpro requirements.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Segments

Yes, the offers are dynamic.
How long does it usually take for them to update the offer? I'm currently EXP. I got a PPRO offer late October. I finished travel last week that put me over for PPRO. I've got the EQD to keep EXP, but I'm still 17K miles short. When I go to the AA page, it now shows no offer available.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Enjoyed reading some of these. I wish I had an offer because it would have meant I traveled less this year!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Platinum Premier, AA - CK
Out of curiosity, I checked to see if I had an offer.

Currently CK
EQDs - 30k
EQMs - 97k
EQS - 103

No offer to get to ExP. Fortunately I will cross the threshold next week.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by bacampbe
How long does it usually take for them to update the offer? I'm currently EXP. I got a PPRO offer late October. I finished travel last week that put me over for PPRO. I've got the EQD to keep EXP, but I'm still 17K miles short. When I go to the AA page, it now shows no offer available.
I vaguely recall from last year that there are no EXP offers until you're over something like 90K EQM.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by ckendall
I vaguely recall from last year that there are no EXP offers until you're over something like 90K EQM.
Others on this thread have reported EXP offers with EQM in the low 80s. But they may have higher EQD or EQS than I have.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
I doubt it will be anywhere near as low as $695 unless you are very close to making platpro requirements.
Agreed. I have another 9k in eqm and 1k in eqd this year. I really hope that's helps for a reasonable offer.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Head
Out of curiosity, I checked to see if I had an offer.

Currently CK
EQDs - 30k
EQMs - 97k
EQS - 103

No offer to get to ExP. Fortunately I will cross the threshold next week.
Out of curiosity and as someone with about the same spend YTD, what was your spend last year to get to CK?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Platinum Premier, AA - CK
Originally Posted by sm82

Out of curiosity and as someone with about the same spend YTD, what was your spend last year to get to CK?
EQD - 67k
EQM - 330k
EQS - 132

Pretty sure I won’t get another CK invite this year.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: AA LP pleb, QR Plat., Bonvoy Ti, IHG Diamond Amb, Foolish Hoarder of Miles, Fid. Def.
Originally Posted by NavSTL
Just for the data point:

Current EXP, EQD ~$12.5k, EQM 89.4k, EQS 18, offered renewal at $2795. Got enough booked to requalify the old fashioned way, so moot issue.

The four eVIPs might almost be worth the cost if I were staying on the wrong side of the Pacific for another year, as I've had a pretty good batting average with them (4 for 5 in 2018), but that's a big pill to swallow otherwise.
Update: now that another trip is on the books, situation is 13.9k EQD, 97.9k EQM, 22 EQS. Offer price is alllllllll the way down to $1495.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.