Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stream To Personal Device Availability

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Stream To Personal Device Availability

AA is pushing the feature all over the place, is it available fleet wide?

I was on PHL>PUJ>CLT on a LUS A320 and LUS321 and both flights I was unable to get the service to work anytime during the flight. FA said it was due to lack of service over the oceans. If true, is AA really offering a product with essentially NO entertainment on flights like this, over the Gulf and maybe even lower 48 to HI?
JohnSydney2000 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by shimps1
AA is pushing the feature all over the place, is it available fleet wide?

I was on PHL>PUJ>CLT on a LUS A320 and LUS321 and both flights I was unable to get the service to work anytime during the flight. FA said it was due to lack of service over the oceans. If true, is AA really offering a product with essentially NO entertainment on flights like this, over the Gulf and maybe even lower 48 to HI?
Since it’s an onboard WiFi server, it doesn’t make any sense that it wouldn’t work over the oceans. GoGo WiFi, on the other hand, relies on cellular service and therefore doesn’t work over water.

Have you the required app on your device?

Entertainment (link)

On most flights, you can stream our library of movies and TV shows to your phone, tablet or laptop – without buying Wi-Fi. All you need is the American app on your phone or tablet.

American Airlines app

How to watch free entertainment

1. Download the American app before takeoff
  2. Connect to Wi-Fi signal
  3. For “gogoinflight,” go to airborne.gogoinflight.com
  4. For “AA Inflight,” go to aa.viasat.com or aainflight.com
  5. Click on “Free Entertainment”, “Watch Now” or play icon
  6. Select your movie or TV show
enviroian likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; Marriott Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC
Issues I have with the streaming approach to movies vs IFE in the seatback
1) choice is less streaming. I hate when I start a movie on a 737 with IFE and then switch to a streaming connection and the same carrier does not have the same movie for me to finish. How many years has it been since AA merged and we still have no uniformity to the fleet?
2) With seatback I can watch as soon as I sit down and until we park at the gate. Streaming? nope you lose 45 min at the beginning of the flight and 20 min at the end. Is your plane delayed on the tarmac? With streaming you wont be watching anything.
3) Plane wide outages. I have had 3 flights this year where the whole onboard streaming and wifi system was down.

The only two pluses: no box cramping your feet and no interruptions once airborne since the PA does not cut off the gogo streaming.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by phxbarcelona
1) choice is less streaming. I hate when I start a movie on a 737 with IFE and then switch to a streaming connection and the same carrier does not have the same movie for me to finish. How many years has it been since AA merged and we still have no uniformity to the fleet?
2) With seatback I can watch as soon as I sit down and until we park at the gate. Streaming? nope you lose 45 min at the beginning of the flight and 20 min at the end. Is your plane delayed on the tarmac? With streaming you wont be watching anything.
3) Plane wide outages. I have had 3 flights this year where the whole onboard streaming and wifi system was down.

The only two pluses: no box cramping your feet and no interruptions once airborne since the PA does not cut off the gogo streaming.
With Project Oasis (aka “Awaysis” for it’s possible effect on passengers with the monilavs, densified seats and lack of seatback IFE), we’ll have uniformity. All narrowbodies aircraft other than the short-lived 75L / 757-200 international and A321T Flagship transcontinental aircraft will only have onboard served WiFi IFE.

I’m not sure you lose onboard served streaming on the apron and taxiways.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Something-ist, Bombay Sapphire
PHX-PVR (LUS 319 N802AW) had streaming IFE the entire route, no wi-fi over Mexico per usual.

On the return, PVR-LAX (E75L N206NN) had no wi-fi, nor streaming IFE. Flight attendant said neither service would work over Mexico, IFE/wi-fi turned worked the last 20 minutes of the flight. Not sure why the experiences are completely opposites?

Totally OT, PVR is opening a huge PP lounge. Nicest I've ever seen.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by JDiver
I’m not sure you lose onboard served streaming on the apron and taxiways.
You don’t. I’ve occasionally started streaming before take-off and routinely finish up a movie while taxiing to the gate.
JDiver, adunker and CPRich like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There's nothing inherent to streaming vs. AVOD that says they have to offer fewer movies. It may be a function of server size. Expecting absolute uniformity across all of the fleet types of ~1,200 planes (mainline + 2-class regional jet) is hopeless. They won't promise you much more than a seat, a seat belt, and a safety card.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Internet vs. WiFi access have little to do with each other. The current system streams content over the aircraft's internal WiFi and does not depend on external servers to feed that content. Thus, does not matter whether one is over the midwest or the mid-Pacific.

I am also not sure I understand the complaint about losing service on the ground. I have not found that to be the case. While Internet access shuts down, streaming does not (unless there is a glitch on the particular aircraft).
JDiver and mvoight like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Anyone else had a problem where this system fails to recognize that the gogo app is installed, and just keeps looping back to the browser page?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
It depends on which wifi provider the plane has. If you have to log-in using the 'AA Inflight' option, that means the plane has satellite service which means it should be available gate to gate & over the water. If you log-in using 'gogo inflight', there's no service over the water & nothing below 10K feet.

Having said that, I've only ever been able to get the live tv option to work once & only when it was a plane w/seat back devices. Was on a plane yesterday w/seat back devices & satellite wifi, but the live tv option never came up either on the seat back screen or my personal device.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Internet vs. WiFi access have little to do with each other. The current system streams content over the aircraft's internal WiFi and does not depend on external servers to feed that content. Thus, does not matter whether one is over the midwest or the mid-Pacific.

I am also not sure I understand the complaint about losing service on the ground. I have not found that to be the case. While Internet access shuts down, streaming does not (unless there is a glitch on the particular aircraft).
That hasn't been my experience.

I've found the older Gogo streaming only works above 10,000 feet. The newer Viasat setups stream video gate to gate. Obviously that has nothing to do with the capabilities of the technology since the content is stored onboard in both cases.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Check
That hasn't been my experience.

I've found the older Gogo streaming only works above 10,000 feet. The newer Viasat setups stream video gate to gate. Obviously that has nothing to do with the capabilities of the technology since the content is stored onboard in both cases.
My experience there started changing at some point last year. While GoGo still required getting above 10K feet for me to start it, I've been able to keep streaming the onboard content through descent and to the gate on the remaining GoGo 737's at least. On my last MD80 flight I actually finished the movie just before we descended through 10K feet, so I'm not sure if those still cut off or not.

Not as good as the Viasat system, but not as bad as it used to be either.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Fine. But you're missing out on some really exciting credit card offers that the credit card saleswoman wants to tell you about.
lowfareair and phxbarcelona like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:38 am

I hate the new streaming options. There is no moving map. I don't have the options of listening to music. The selections of movies is not that great.
TXguy likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
Fine. But you're missing out on some really exciting credit card offers that the credit card saleswoman wants to tell you about.
Absolutely the best lead to a well kept secret. (Well, unless we ever fly AA.)
cynicAAl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.