EXP requal question - no 2018 activity

Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by baclubflyer
Thank to ALL who reply - very much appreciated.

Glad I asked - when I was speaking to the AA EXP desk earlier, I was sort of feeding the assumptions / questions and then ended up "self-answering" - the agent seemed very lost hence why I resorted to FT experts

Seems like IF I travel anyway and its in EITHER Dec or Jan / Feb, I better just push everything to Jan / Feb as it would get me an extra year of EXP.
Don’t forget renewing EP requires fulfilling two criteria: EQM or EQS and $12,000 EQD. Until both are fulfilled, there’s no status at all after 31 January.
jcatman likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: AA-EXP
If anyone qualified for EXP with 120 segments in a single month, that would be both Impressive and Depressive.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by WoodyWindy
Not Jan/Feb - Just Jan, unless you're OK with dropping status for however long in February it will take to finish your EXP.
Although if you got say, 75K EQMs in Jan*, you'd be Platinum Pro in February. You'd fall back to whatever status you'd managed to earn in January, not to general member.

* And required EQDs.
WoodyWindy likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA
Don't forget that if you don't fly much after 1/19 you'll be at the bottom of the upgrade list in 2020.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:59 pm

There used to be a way to get EXP in one shot for about $4000... RIP!
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by TaiwanIndependence
Don't forget that if you don't fly much after 1/19 you'll be at the bottom of the upgrade list in 2020.
Just to be clear: the bottom of the upgrade lists for EXPs, but still above everyone with lower status.
JDiver and WoodyWindy like this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA , Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, LQ Elite
Originally Posted by Gino Troian
There used to be a way to get EXP in one shot for about $4000... RIP!
I made Emerald status for about $5K. So it's still sorta possible I guess
Gino Troian likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Man_Utd_Fan
I made Emerald status for about $5K. So it's still sorta possible I guess
That's very nice! The fare I was referring to was a $4000 CMB-DEL-TYO-LAX-JFK-DFW-GRU and return in J (full-fare) that would credit as "ticket/fare unavailable" earning around 120K EQM and $15K EQD :-:
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: Hilton, American, Club Carlson, United, Marriott, Starwood
Originally Posted by jordyn
Although if you got say, 75K EQMs in Jan*, you'd be Platinum Pro in February. You'd fall back to whatever status you'd managed to earn in January, not to general member.

* And required EQDs.
Correct. I thought I had indicated that in an earlier post.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by jordyn
Just to be clear: the bottom of the upgrade lists for EXPs, but still above everyone with lower status.
Thank you for the clarification.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Just wondering as to why the op would consider trying to get EXP within a month?
If you really dont fly that much, well none for this year,
If and when you do travel, just buy a J/F ticket and enjoy the ride.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by fotographer
Just wondering as to why the op would consider trying to get EXP within a month?
It seems the OP is flying regardless:

... I've got quite a bit of flying to do (all long haul premium cabin etc) and can elect to do it in Dec or Jan
I'd do it in January as well, if not to get EXP that month then at least to maximize the chances of maintaining a decent status level.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fotographer
It's one of those things that I'll need to travel anyway but can plan to concentrate or spread things out during the year. Given the specific situation, it seemed more beneficial (but not for my back) to concentrate this in Jan 2019 to get status through 2019 and 2020 as opposed to doing it in Dec 2018 as I'll lose out on a year.

I was also thinking that if could not meet all the requirements in Jan 2019, it would still be advantageous to do the majority of them in Jan 2019 (while I'm still EXP) to get the EXP RDM bonuses. So for example, if I can make 80% towards EXP in Jan 2019, drop to PLT in Feb 2019, complete the 20% in Feb 2019, move back up to EXP (and get it until 2020), then I'll at least get the RDM bonuses for the 80%?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: AA EXP
So for example, if I can make 80% towards EXP in Jan 2019, drop to PLT in Feb 2019, complete the 20% in Feb 2019, move back up to EXP (and get it until 2020), then I'll at least get the RDM bonuses for the 80%?
If you make it to 80% of the way towards EXP, then you'll drop to Platinum Pro (assuming you mean 80% on both EQM + EQD) until you hit the EXP requirements
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finsup72
If you make it to 80% of the way towards EXP, then you'll drop to Platinum Pro (assuming you mean 80% on both EQM + EQD) until you hit the EXP requirements
And for the 80% in Jan you would get the EXP RDM bonuses still presumably?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.