Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Email from Domestic Airline Settlement Administrator?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Email from Domestic Airline Settlement Administrator?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
spam and scam!
This is false. The email from that email address is conveying the information on the official website domesticairclass.com, and only refers you to the official site for more information on what to do next. People should not offer information just by guessing or making up what they want as it is misleading and not helpful. I am not affiliated with any of that, just get annoyed when people do that on public forums :-)
diburning likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:11 am

I suppose there's an argument to be made that attorneys make too much money in general (though like most anything fees for legal services are largely determined by the market). It's a little silly to suggest they make too much money off of litigation such as this one, or have some sort of "conflict of interest" (?). Litigation--particularly complex litigation such as this--is extremely time-consuming and expensive, requiring the work of numerous individuals for hundreds if not thousands of hours. And the fees are going to be a minority percentage of the overall judgment. The purpose of a class action isn't necessarily to make whole every conceivable class member, but (among other reasons) to aggregate small losses and/or to force a change in behavior through the collective financial penalty. It's surely not a perfect system--nothing is--though what is a viable alternative.

And of course, you have an option to opt-out and sue on your own. Generally, obtaining recovery through suit requires a fair amount of effort and expense.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by George Hanna
This is false. The email from that email address is conveying the information on the official website domesticairclass.com, and only refers you to the official site for more information on what to do next. People should not offer information just by guessing or making up what they want as it is misleading and not helpful. I am not affiliated with any of that, just get annoyed when people do that on public forums :-)
I see you're new here. This is FlyerTalk; everyone here knows everything.

Also, my wife got this email yesterday, but I have not. She can't think of the last time she purchased a flight.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by trouble747
Litigation--particularly complex litigation such as this--is extremely time-consuming and expensive, requiring the work of numerous individuals for hundreds if not thousands of hours. And the fees are going to be a minority percentage of the overall judgment. The purpose of a class action isn't necessarily to make whole every conceivable class member, but (among other reasons) to aggregate small losses and/or to force a change in behavior through the collective financial penalty. It's surely not a perfect system--nothing is--though what is a viable alternative.
I worked in litigation for the majority of my adult career and I understand the purpose of a class action - but it doesn't mean that it hasn't turned into a broken system. Unlike typical civil litigation where the attorney gets 30-40% contingency of the settlement, class actions settle, then a separate fund just for attorneys' fees and costs is negotiated - often eclipsing the settlement funds. This is why there is a conflict - it creates an incentive to settle as quickly as possible then try to get as much attorneys fees/costs as possible.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by AtomicLush
I worked in litigation for the majority of my adult career and I understand the purpose of a class action - but it doesn't mean that it hasn't turned into a broken system. Unlike typical civil litigation where the attorney gets 30-40% contingency of the settlement, class actions settle, then a separate fund just for attorneys' fees and costs is negotiated - often eclipsing the settlement funds. This is why there is a conflict - it creates an incentive to settle as quickly as possible then try to get as much attorneys fees/costs as possible.
What's the feasible alternative? Individual litigation is not realistic. At least having to spend time negotiating and having to pay might discourage airlines or other defendants from the bad behavior.

A better functioning FAA might help in this case.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
@richarddd there are a lot of law review articles on overhauling the class action system. While some articles discuss finding an alternative - most are more about fixing what's broken.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by AtomicLush
I practice civil litigation (government) but have no experience in class action so I'll defer to you on this one, although I'm not aware of any specific instances like you've mentioned. Obviously if the action is not successful in its underlying purpose or is not in the best interests of the client/class, then something is amiss that should be fixed. I don't know that most of the griping about class actions reaches that level of sophistication (I'm guessing there are many class actions that are successful and beneficial).
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by mvoight
"8. How much money will I receive? At this time, it is unknown how much each eligible Settlement Class Member will receive. Given the number of Settlement Class Members, it may not be economically practical to make a direct cash distribution to Class Members until additional settlements or judgments are achieved. "

Basically, the lawyers make money... The rest might go to charity, etc........
Originally Posted by thelark

pretty typical. Consumers always get screwed on these.
So, could us consumers file a class-action against the law firms to get our money? Hah.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:56 am

Domestic airlines settlement

I got the email also, and when I tried to click on the link to register, I got a msaage that said, access denied. So I am thinking it might be phishing.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Alefty
I got the email also, and when I tried to click on the link to register, I got a msaage that said, access denied. So I am thinking it might be phishing.
It's real but their website always seems to be locked down when they send a new batch of emails.

Either because they get too many clicks in those periods - which I guess will be the official excuse - but that's something they should have caught that by now, they've been around for a few weeks.

More likely they intentionally lock it down to deter people from doing something the "Class Counsel" doesn't want, and hoping that they forget about it. The reason I suspect this is that they've also done a considerable effort to make sure the email lands in your spam box, not the opposite.

The website is working as I type right now.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:33 pm

Did a search on their phone number and I found
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300732257.html

Even Kim Komando is posting about this settlement.
https://www.komando.com/happening-no...-owe-you-money

Settlement FAQ
https://domesticairclass.com/FAQ?portalid=0?portalid=0

Hope it helps.

I just got the email also.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Originally Posted by richarddd
What's the feasible alternative? Individual litigation is not realistic. At least having to spend time negotiating and having to pay might discourage airlines or other defendants from the bad behavior.

A better functioning FAA might help in this case.

I mean, you basically answered your own question. In the existing situation, the lawyers take not only 30%, but additionally they take 'fees and expenses' on top of that. (Because apparently 20 million dollars is not adequate?) And it is all merely based upon what the airlines are actually willing to pay. Presumably, they are still better off than if they had not partaken in the illegal activity at all. The lawyers are basically just saying that they are willing to look the other way so long as they get their share. Compare that to a system where a stronger regulatory body were involved where they could demand restitution directly to the individuals at the rate to which they (the regulator, rather than the airline) believe the airline profited. Even if it is a minor amount per person, it would ensure that each individual is in a similar place they would have been had the illegal activity not occurred, and the company has to go through all of the additional expense of attempting to recompense all of those individuals. Just seems fairer all around.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:54 pm

@AlwaysFlyStar, unfortunately, we do not have a stronger regulatory body and don't seem likely to get one in the near future. It would be nice if we did.

In the absence of a better FAA (or other agency), the possibility of litigation provides some incentive to behave better. Costs are higher for the airlines with class actions than without. Removing the possibility of class actions is not likely to make a better regulatory agency appear or to inspire airlines to improve their behavior.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
I mean, you basically answered your own question. In the existing situation, the lawyers take not only 30%, but additionally they take 'fees and expenses' on top of that. (Because apparently 20 million dollars is not adequate?) And it is all merely based upon what the airlines are actually willing to pay. Presumably, they are still better off than if they had not partaken in the illegal activity at all.
Well, you're welcome to file an objection with the court stating you don't feel the settlement is equitable. I'm tempted to do it simply because I loathe class action ambulance chasers.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by kyanar
Well, you're welcome to file an objection with the court stating you don't feel the settlement is equitable. I'm tempted to do it simply because I loathe class action ambulance chasers.
I would just in principle. The supposed return of the ill gotten gains of the collusion results in potentially nothing to the ones that paid the ticket prices. Further, the collusion indicated was the equivalent of $0.03 a flight per ticket, which if you are going to collude, you wouldn't take the chance of getting nailed for such a paltry sum. Minimal gain, large downside, not going to happen. The class action lawyers didn't represent the class, they represented themselves, and got enough shakedown money out of the airlines to go away, not even attempting to make the class whole.
kyanar likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.