Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold

I haven't seen anything on here about this. I was looking at AA.com and saw this text here:

Economy Web Special awards
Economy Web Special awards are available exclusively on aa.com and may be offered on select flights and dates for fewer miles than either the MileSAAver or AAnytime award level. Travel is in the Main Cabin, and mileage levels vary by date and flight. When available, you’ll see the applicable award level while booking your trip. Tickets that include an Economy Web Special award don’t allow changes and, while you can cancel and reinstate your miles, fees may apply.
I then googled "Economy Web Special" and found this article on The Points Guy: https://thepointsguy.com/news/aa-eco...ts-5000-miles/

Evidently AA is offering certain sub-500-mile routes at 5,000 miles one way instead of 7,500 miles. Doesn't look like it will impact me any, since the only routes it applies to for now are DFW-ICT/CRP/BRO/MFE, PHX-LGB, and CLT-MLB. But thought it was worth posting here.

Unfortunately, it looks like AA has messed up the award map tool with this update. The award map now shows tons of phantom 5,000-mile availability, rendering the tool essentially useless:

This is a shame because the award map used to be a reliable way to find Saver availability to reduced-mileage destinations in order to book tickets at the 8750-mile rate.

Last edited by platbrownguy; Oct 30, 2018 at 1:17 am Reason: award map
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL PL, B6 M3
Looks like the beginning of varriable award pricing in either direction to me... How much of this "expanded" inventory will again be hidden from partners?

Last edited by firemandan9; Oct 30, 2018 at 6:36 am
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Can EXPs cancel and redeposit these new, more restrictive awards without penalty?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by ralphs
Can EXPs cancel and redeposit these new, more restrictive awards without penalty?
The TPG article says EXPs can. Never tried it myself.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:45 pm

I was looking at award space from the US to Brazil and was surprised to see GIG at half the price.

The answer is probably no, but it doesn't hurt to ask: does anyone know if it's possible to add segments within the same destination region once one of these is placed on hold?

Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Looking at RDU-LHR for a few dates this year I see these "Economy Web Specials" all over the place now. For a random date in June the sAAver price is 30k, but depending on the flight selected the Economy Web Special prices as 28k/29k/31k/32.5k/33k/37k/39k/40k etc. etc.

Better than 110k AAnytime but you can see exactly where this is headed, variable award pricing here we come. Interestingly they all carry a booking code 'Y' just like AAnytime.

The good news is that for a number of dates I was looking at in June for example the Economy Web Special had options for 20-25k which is a good savings over the usual 30k for sAAver. And since it books into Y they are essentially not capacity controlled a la AAnytime space (as long as Y is available, at least it seems at the moment).

Mods should probably adjust the thread title as this is definitely not just for sub-500 mile routes anymore.

KBRDU likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Looking at RDU-LHR for a few dates this year I see these "Economy Web Specials" all over the place now. For a random date in June the sAAver price is 30k, but depending on the flight selected the Economy Web Special prices as 28k/29k/31k/32.5k/33k/37k/39k/40k etc. etc.

Better than 110k AAnytime but you can see exactly where this is headed, variable award pricing here we come. Interestingly they all carry a booking code 'Y' just like AAnytime.

The good news is that for a number of dates I was looking at in June for example the Economy Web Special had options for 20-25k which is a good savings over the usual 30k for sAAver. And since it books into Y they are essentially not capacity controlled a la AAnytime space (as long as Y is available, at least it seems at the moment).

Mods should probably adjust the thread title as this is definitely not just for sub-500 mile routes anymore.
This is potentially a really good thing -- it doesn't appear that this is tied to dollar cost of ticket. So long as availability is tied to anything else at all, there may be opportunity for value here.

This 33,000mi RDU-LHR is a nonstop one way that would otherwise cost $3k. Maybe it won't be available on shorter notice but still an excellent way to redeem for a nonstop one way TATL if it's not ordinarily available at saver rates or requires extra married segments etc.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Really curious whether the no redeposit fee for exp applies to this or not. A flight I’m looking to book actually has some decent rates but I was only going to book if I had the potential to cancel without penalty. Anyone have confirmation on this yet?

Last edited by WiscAZ; Jan 2, 2019 at 8:08 pm
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Really curious whether the no redeposit fee for exp applies to this or not. A flight I’m looking to book actually has some decent rates but I was only going to book if I had the potential to cancel without penalty. Anyone have confirmation on this yet?
of course it does/why wouldn't it
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
of course it does/why wouldn't it
When I went to book I got this statement "✝ Trips that include Economy Web Specials cannot be changed once ticketed. You can cancel your trip and reinstate miles, but fees may apply." Isn't totally clear on when fees won't apply.

Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

When I went to book I got this statement "✝ Trips that include Economy Web Specials cannot be changed once ticketed. You can cancel your trip and reinstate miles, but fees may apply." Isn't totally clear on when fees won't apply.
Sure, fees apply to most members, but not to EXPs. I wouldn't read that as anything different. There's no exception, etc., in the information about EXP benefits: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...s-benefits.jsp
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:11 pm

Sure, fees apply to most members, but not to EXPs. I wouldn't read that as anything different. There's no exception, etc., in the information about EXP benefits: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...s-benefits.jsp
Not trying to argue but this statement "Changing a date or eligible origin/destination on a MileSAAver or AAnytime award when using miles from your account" doesn't say anything about a Web Special. An Exp can book a basic economy ticket and doesn't get all the same benefits so I'm not totally sold without a data point that these have the same benefits.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

"Changing a date or eligible origin/destination on a MileSAAver or AAnytime award when using miles from your account"
?

Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:14 pm

?
You're not understanding me. The new awards aren't specified anywhere in that picture.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:17 pm

Can an Economy Web Special award ticket be canceled within 24 hours of booking without penalty?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.