Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by boboqui

Can an Economy Web Special award ticket be canceled within 24 hours of booking without penalty?
It can be canceled online within 24 hrs without penalty but I had to call in order to get the miles redeposited, didn't happen automatically.....
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by fishee
It can be canceled online within 24 hrs without penalty but I had to call in order to get the miles redeposited, didn't happen automatically.....
FYI this is the procedure with any award ticket, you must call to have the miles redeposited, it's not unique to these web special awards.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA
Why are Economy Web Specials frequently more expensive than a regular MileSAAver award? I'm looking at GIG-JFK and I'm seeing Economy Web Specials for 42k... 64k... 81k... instead of the normal 30k.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Has anyone confirmed that EXPs can change/cancel a web special without penalty? Thanks!
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; AA Gold; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Has anyone confirmed that EXPs can change/cancel a web special without penalty? Thanks!
Yes, we can. I’ve cancelled and redeposited with no penalty.
HofstraJet likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Economy Web Special Miles Price Goes Up While on Hold

Not sure if anyone else experienced this, but I put an economy web special flight on hold for 5,000 miles, I just went in to ticket my reservation and it now says 10,000 miles. I did a double take. Went back and checked my hold confirmation e-mail and it did say 5,000 miles. Anyone else experience this?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Just call AA
let them know all the details
they should be able to sort it out
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by fotographer
Just call AA
let them know all the details
they should be able to sort it out
or call AA web support or whatever it's called if the first AA call fails
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Yes, you are entitled to the price you put on hold, not the price today. Call AA. HUCA if the first agent doesn't/can't fix it.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:20 pm

Probably too late to help the OP, but in case it comes up in a search:

This appears to be an AA IT bug. It seems to happen when the award is held into the next day (and perhaps only if there is no longer any award seats for sale at the same rate).

If you click through the first landing screen and go to pay for the flight, it then pulls up the correct mileage amount for the reservation and not the higher amount shown on the landing screen. That's what I have found anyway. I've never had to call in when this happens.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: BA
Are Economy Web Specials ("EWS") just a front for AA to experiment with variable award pricing and less permissive changes? AA currently has the most permissive change policy on awards and the least variable award pricing between the big 3 U.S. airlines. The EWS frequently cost more, sometimes much more, than SAAver space, and the prices fluctuate wildly. Not sure what is so "Special" about 68K-115K one-way in economy between GIG and JFK with no changes allowed.

Old May 22, 2019, 11:24 am

Is it possible to SDFC or standby with economy web special awards? "No changes" leads me to think that the answer is no, but it's not very clear.
Old May 24, 2019, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by ShadowRegent
Is it possible to SDFC or standby with economy web special awards? "No changes" leads me to think that the answer is no, but it's not very clear.
The answer is that standby is fine, but SDFC is not possible.
Old May 25, 2019, 12:37 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
I had a Web Special schedule change whereby the arrival time was > 30 minutes than originally booked. Per schedule change policy, I was able to change my affected flight slightly while keeping the same routing.
Old May 29, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Economy Web Special: dynamic award pricing?

AA hasn't "officially" announced a move toward dynamic award pricing, but a quick search I did for a NYC-YYZ award makes it seem like this has already happened. The "economy Web specials" were originally marketed as a way to get cheap redemptions ("as low as 5k") but looks like we are seeing this shift to the inevitable... The "milesAAver" awards seem to be all but gone, only available on two dates (12.5k) in the below screenshot...

Have others seen this happen across more routes? Pretty disappointing if this is the direction this are headed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.