Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

Old Aug 5, 2021, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
Tried searching but don't see anything talking about this. Maybe that means it isn't possible?

Is there a tool out there that can automatically monitor web special award pricing on a particular route and alert if something opens up at a particular pricing level? I know I can use Expert Flyer for regular award availability, but what about web specials? I seem to recall EF can't do this.
Not sure. I don't think so since it isn't fare class based.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Are web specials changeable while on hold?

I have one where I put the wrong airport on the return. Want to change or drop that leg. It is on hold still, however the outbound flights aren't available anymore.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 6:26 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
What booking class do these web specials book into? I booked a web special domestic F flight. Schedule changed and auto re-booked on different flights (same O&D with different connection) showing "J" class. Any chance I'll now earn qualifying miles due to the re-booked flights or the system preserves original award fare class?

Sorry much more familiar with the ins and outs of UA fare codes than AA.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 10:30 am

Quick question: If I book a one-way web saver ticket and the flight is cancelled, will AA automatically book me on the next available flight or simply cancel the ticket?
Old Sep 7, 2021, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Duke777
What booking class do these web specials book into? I booked a web special domestic F flight. Schedule changed and auto re-booked on different flights (same O&D with different connection) showing "J" class. Any chance I'll now earn qualifying miles due to the re-booked flights or the system preserves original award fare class?
Web Specials in domestic F book into "J", but they are still not mileage earning.

That shouldn't change after an auto re-booking, but with AAs IT nothing would surprise me.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 5:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by sushanna1
Quick question: If I book a one-way web saver ticket and the flight is cancelled, will AA automatically book me on the next available flight or simply cancel the ticket?
You should be rebooked onto the next available AA flight (assuming AA is still flying this route). They shouldn't simply cancel the ticket, regardless of current award availably. IME, when my Web Special awards have been cancelled AA has been quite flexible in letting me pick new flights.

-FlyerBeek
medellinfein likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 5:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by sushanna1
They will rebook you. But there is no guarantee the new booking will make any sense, so you may need to pay attention to that. For example, I had a BOS-JFK-LHR award rebooked as BOS-CLT,JFK-LHR (not sure how I was supposed to get from CLT to JFK....)
sushanna1 likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 8:00 am

Thanks. Moderators please delete this post. I could not figure out how to do it myself. It was an unsuccessful attempt to use the multi-quote function. The successful post is below.

Last edited by sushanna1; Sep 8, 2021 at 8:18 am Reason: Request to delete this post. Information is duplicated below.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
You should be rebooked onto the next available AA flight (assuming AA is still flying this route). They shouldn't simply cancel the ticket, regardless of current award availably. IME, when my Web Special awards have been cancelled AA has been quite flexible in letting me pick new flights.

-FlyerBeek
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
They will rebook you. But there is no guarantee the new booking will make any sense, so you may need to pay attention to that. For example, I had a BOS-JFK-LHR award rebooked as BOS-CLT,JFK-LHR (not sure how I was supposed to get from CLT to JFK....)
Many thanks.

Last edited by sushanna1; Sep 8, 2021 at 8:08 am Reason: clarity
Old Sep 27, 2021, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I will be testing this flexibility: my SJC-LAX flight for mid Nov was cancelled over the weekend, and instead put on a A319 thru to DFW. this is for a Web Special Business booking.

do you think i will have any luck asking to be put on AS flight SFO-LAX? or will they tell me to pound sAAnd? i understand that AA & AS have some sort of West Coast partnership, and there are no available AA options that work to connect to my onward LAX-DFW segment from any Bay Area airport

Last edited by medellinfein; Sep 27, 2021 at 12:26 pm
Old Sep 27, 2021, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by medellinfein
I will be testing this flexibility: my SJC-LAX flight for mid Nov was cancelled over the weekend, and instead put on a A319 thru to DFW. this is for a Web Special Business booking.

do you think i will have any luck asking to be put on AS flight SFO-LAX? or will they tell me to pound sAAnd? i understand that AA & AS have some sort of West Coast partnership, and there are no available AA options that work to connect to my onward LAX-DFW segment from any Bay Area airport
Web Special awards are only valid on AA metal, you can certainly ask but I'd put it at about a 1% chance of success in getting rebooked on AS for your original web special price. If there's award space available on AS then you can of course just cancel your web special for a refund of miles and rebook the AS award at whatever the current price is.

That said...if your goal is to get to DFW, and you were now rebooked on SJC-DFW-LAX, that seems like an awesome turn of events. Assuming you don't have checked bags I would just get off in DFW (and cancel your other LAX-DFW ticket if you can).
Old Sep 27, 2021, 12:40 pm

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by medellinfein

Data point here. I had a web special (in economy) that was canceled during a schedule change. The closest AA flights had me either leaving 8 hours before the original flights or arriving 8 hours after the original. Asked to rebook on AS close to original time of departure and was politely but firmly refused (by two different agents). They expressed willingness to put me on different AA flights, but definitely not on Alaska.
medellinfein likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
That said...if your goal is to get to DFW, and you were now rebooked on SJC-DFW-LAX, that seems like an awesome turn of events.
ultimate destination is BOG. went from SJC-LAX-DFW-BOG, with 787 and 777 Business to more direct routing, but with longer layover and on slAAveship 319

Originally Posted by Ivan Denisovich
Data point here. I had a web special (in economy) that was canceled during a schedule change. The closest AA flights had me either leaving 8 hours before the original flights or arriving 8 hours after the original. Asked to rebook on AS close to original time of departure and was politely but firmly refused (by two different agents). They expressed willingness to put me on different AA flights, but definitely not on Alaska.
thanks, may switch to LAX origination then and just buy the first leg in economy (only $39)
Old Sep 29, 2021, 7:36 pm

As anticipated, not allowed to switch to AS but permitted to switch origination to LAX to 772 thru MIA
Old Dec 30, 2021, 12:51 pm

If I book YUL-MIA-SJU as a one way web special award and the YUL-MIA segment is cancelled by AA, Will AA let me drop the YUL-MIA segment and keep MIA-SJU without additional collection of miles, instead of forcing me to take a less convenient route such as YUL-CLT-MIA-SJU ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.