Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2020, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by cmd320
Found a few LAX-MIA 772 flights in J for 20k which is a pretty decent deal.
Yes, especially when LAX MIA is the only route other than premium transcons for which AA provides enhanced service.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
Yes, because LAX MIA is the only route other than premium transcons for which AA provides enhanced service.
So, since the switch from 77W to 772 I still haven't been able to actually confirm this. Hopefully someone is traveling this route soon and can give us an update. The 321s on this route get standard domestic F service at this point (sandwich or cheese plate or whatever).
Old Sep 20, 2020, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by cmd320
So, since the switch from 77W to 772 I still haven't been able to actually confirm this. Hopefully someone is traveling this route soon and can give us an update. The 321s on this route get standard domestic F service at this point (sandwich or cheese plate or whatever).
There were other times last year when the 772 operated LAX MIA and I got the enhanced premium service. Will be flying this route soon on 772 and will let you know.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
I'm totally re-writing this because I realized I over-complicated things.

I suspect the answer here is that what I want can't be done, but figured I'd throw it out there in case someone has a brilliant idea.

I am working on booking 5 TATL award tickets as open jaws: A to B and C back to A. I'm hoping to get all 5 of us on the same PNR but don't have enough miles in one account to book everything, so have to make at least two separate reservations. I was originally hoping to book A to B as one, and then C to A as the other. But....

A -> B / C -> A as one open jaws reservation prices with web specials for both economy and premium economy at 5k miles cheaper per segment than the saver award.

A -> B -> C -> A as one multi-segment reservation prices with web specials, but only at economy level and I have no option at all to book premium economy. This triggers the old award booking tool instead of the new one.

A -> B -> C as one-way prices at the web special rate at 5k miles cheaper for both economy and premium economy.

B -> C -> A as one-way prices at the web special rate at 5k miles cheaper for both economy and premium economy.

A -> B or C -> A as a one-way reservation prices only at the saver award rate (so 25k more miles for each since there are 5 of us).

What I've realized is that B -> C award redemption isn't a great value because the taxes due on the award are basically half of the paid fare.

I'm trying to figure out a creative solution to this, but my brain is going numb. The only thing I can come up with is to book two separate open-jaws reservations but then we'll be on separate PNRs, so at least some of my companions won't get the elite benefits (I'm only gold so it's not much, but it's better than nothing).

Last edited by sxpsxpsxp; Oct 1, 2020 at 7:05 pm Reason: Completely edited for clarity
Old Jan 8, 2021, 8:27 pm

Seat Selection

I currently have on a five day hold a web special award DFW-MIA-SKB. It’s not allowing me to select seats on the first leg - the message states “Please check back or we’ll assign seats at the airport. We’ll try to assign seats together, but if availability is limited, your party may be seated apart.” This looks like a message you might see on a basic economy ticket; has anyone seen it for a web special award? I’m Platinum if that matters any.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 12:17 pm

Are you not able to transit to another destination in the same region utilizing web specials? For example, DFW-LHR-MAD would be the same price on an award ticket as DFW-LHR...since LHR and MAD are in the same region, there is generally no extra cost (assuming seats are open in whatever booking class you are looking at). But if you book DFW-LHR as a web special, you cannot continue on to MAD for the same price since it would be on different metal other than AA? I'm getting conflicting info...twitter says yes, but when I call in, I'm told no and they want to charge me an extra segment. My specific example is ACT-DFW-HKG and wanting to continue on to MNL...they want to charge me an extra 50K miles for HKG-MNL roundtrip for business class when I'm already booked in first. Multi-city won't work either b/c it errors out and makes you call after two flights.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 5:12 pm

If the weather or airline changes or cancels your flight, you can make a change to this and have options even for the following day
Old Jun 28, 2021, 11:07 am

Booked a roundtrip web special, can I cancel just the return?
Old Jun 29, 2021, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by airfly56
Probably not
Old Jun 29, 2021, 8:44 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Interesting data point on a recent web special for three cabin first. Popped up last-minute for 32.5k on the 77W when revenue F was thousands. Misconnected, then rebooked into 2 cabin J on the 772. A polite complaint resulted in 5k AA from customer service, and later 13.3k AA prorated for the downgrade. No drama or arguments about weather or it being a (forced) voluntary downgrade.
HofstraJet and GrumpyYoungMan like this.

Last edited by TravelerMSY; Jul 4, 2021 at 4:33 pm
Old Jun 30, 2021, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
The round trip is the same price as the two one-ways being booked so I always book as two separate tickets so I can change one or the other as needed. Causes two change fees if you do change, but given the new no change fee policy, that point seems moot.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 11:24 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
I booked some web special (F) award flights from BNA to LIH for May 2022. I am hoping for a schedule change to allow me to change to a more favorable routing and flights times.

My question is, when you have booked a web special and then there is a schedule change can you basically ask for whatever flights you want? Even to a better hard product? Ex. Standard F on 321 to a flat bed in business on a 777?
Old Jul 4, 2021, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
No changes to the ticket allowed.

No fee for cancellation and redepositing.

Two one ways are almost always better now (other than Amex Plat card travel insurance if that matters).
Old Jul 5, 2021, 1:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by beachfan
Two one ways are almost always better now (other than Amex Plat card travel insurance if that matters).
Which particular insurance? As an example, the terms for both Trip Delay and Interruption insurance that I’m seeing mentions round trip travel, but doesn’t say it requires them to be ticketed as a round-trip.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Tried searching but don't see anything talking about this. Maybe that means it isn't possible?

Is there a tool out there that can automatically monitor web special award pricing on a particular route and alert if something opens up at a particular pricing level? I know I can use Expert Flyer for regular award availability, but what about web specials? I seem to recall EF can't do this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.