Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:18 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Same for SEA-Europe, new normal seems 84k RT for biz web special. They often price one way at 42k as well.

Last edited by stephem; Mar 18, 2020 at 4:24 pm
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by robin13
I'm also wondering this as well. I booked back in January a one way (20K miles) from DFW-LHR for July 16 for a cruise from Southampton to Norway. Now with all of this Corona mess I have no idea if the cruise will take place. I know that July is a ways off but I'm wondering if it does get canceled can I get my miles back without paying the fee. I also upgraded to MCE for $112 so I would hope that I could get that back as well. I didn't want to call AA as it is still 4 months away so I thought I would ask on here.
I booked a trip to London and Rome with miles in January for a trip in July and was told I could cancel and be refunded all miles, taxes, and MCE back so I did. This was almost 24 hours ago and I am yet to see I redeposit of miles or money. I know from times past that the money takes a few day but the miles redeposit is usually within a few moments so I'm a little worried that I may have a battle in the days ahead with an AA agent.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:01 pm

Programs: American Ex Plat, Avis Presidents, Hertz - Preidents Circle, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bigboy61
Still some great Economy and First deals out there to Hawaii from the East Coast. I have the 30k First Class on hold, but I think I am going to cancel to be with my family in Economy.

30K First Class each way from east coast to Hawaii is a deal. I previously had 3 tickets at 22,500 in coach. It seems that 7,500 for FC was a bargain and my family wins.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver,AA,EI&UA
Response to post 186.
In January booked an "Econmy Web Special" trip to Ireland for late May in Y with miles, and paid extra for MCE on 3 segments. Cancelled trip online Sunday(15th) and got upgrade fees refunded today on credit authorized by AA on Monday(16th), still waiting for mileage credit and taxes refund.
Used this AA link to check refund status. https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/

Last edited by Nil SeAnn; Mar 19, 2020 at 1:22 pm
Old Mar 19, 2020, 8:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, WN CP
Originally Posted by metoo
I canceled an economy web special award travel booked in February 2020 and was able to cancel the April trip with no cancelation fee. Points and fees will be refunded
Did you cancel online or over the phone? I saw that it was domestic in another reply.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Sunburn644
Did you cancel online or over the phone? I saw that it was domestic in another reply.
I'm not the OP, but I can tell you that I just cancelled a domestic Web Special award ticket for May online, and then I called. Got through very quickly, and she immediately said she would refund me $11.20 ($5.60 x 2 passengers) and reinstate my miles within 24 hours (or as soon as one hour). It was a very easy and pleasant experience.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:26 am

Programs: BA GfL
Got an economy web special canceled last night (with ZERO time on hold, which was the biggest shocker). The agent on the phone felt the need to tell me “just this one time we’ll allow it.”
Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Lots of Y and PE AA US/Australia/NZ web specials are showing up for early next year, but zero J or F.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by rj7878
I'm not the OP, but I can tell you that I just cancelled a domestic Web Special award ticket for May online, and then I called. Got through very quickly, and she immediately said she would refund me $11.20 ($5.60 x 2 passengers) and reinstate my miles within 24 hours (or as soon as one hour). It was a very easy and pleasant experience.
Canceled on a March 19 ticket on March 5. This was one leg of a trip where my wife was going with me to a Citrix conference at Disneyworld. This was a web special award for 10K. The other direction was paid, so no issue with the refund back then.
Was told I had to pay to redeposit, so I did
Called back today, was passed to a supervisor who said the $150 redeposit fee can be refunded due to the March 9 rules change
She said it might take awhile due to manual processing. Does anyone know how long?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:01 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I got one set of 5 web specials (biz awards for 23k each) from MIA-LAX-SEA for mid April. Originally was told we would have to pay the redeposit fee but then I highlighted the aircraft change from 777 to narrow body and they agreed to wave.

Our outbound is SEA-DFW-EYW and is only 5k, they will wave the fee and i would rather kiss the 25k miles goodbye than pay what I think will be $250 for the 5 of us.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelingbob
30K First Class each way from east coast to Hawaii is a deal. I previously had 3 tickets at 22,500 in coach. It seems that 7,500 for FC was a bargain and my family wins.
Is Hawaii open? Hotels, Restaurants,etc?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DUPLICATE.

Last edited by mvoight; Mar 23, 2020 at 2:01 pm
Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mvoight
Is Hawaii open? Hotels, Restaurants,etc?
Hawaii’s governor has ordered all incoming visitors be quarantined for 14 days... including visitors from the US mainland.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by javabytes
Hawaii’s governor has ordered all incoming visitors be quarantined for 14 days... including visitors from the US mainland.
It's basically a world without tourism right now. Crazy to think of certain Hawaiian tourist-heavy spots being virtually tourist free, and these places that really rely on tourism $$$ will really suffer soon, if they're not already.

To me, the responsible thing is to stay home right now. And if doing it for everyone else's sake ("flattening the curve") isn't enough reason for you to stay home, consider that it's very possible you could get stuck somewhere... and if you happened to get sick in a third world country or even somewhere like Hawaii where resources could quickly be strained, as they only have a certain number of ICU beds/ventilators, etc., it's just not worth the risk.

Unless folks looking for current Web Special awards are looking for tickets to help them respond to an emergent situation on the other side of the country, there's really little reason to justify flying right now.
travelmad478 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:33 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL PL, B6 M3
AA Web Special Business Multi-City (Award Booking)

Is it possible to book a business class web special award Multi-City? Lots of good Asia fares right now and some of them require round trip travel but I'd like to fly open jaw into Asia.

I can't get the old award booking engine to show business class web special. Call center can't touch web-special awards. I can't figure out how to get the new tool to do multi-city. Is this just not possible?

Two one-ways price higher and will have a higher redeposit fee if needed.

Last edited by firemandan9; Apr 6, 2020 at 10:38 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.