Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

Old Mar 12, 20, 1:07 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21 View Post
Yep...very annoying....was looking to book some trips, now, not so much.
Same here. I'm not booking anything at all at these prices. I have to weigh the risk of getting stuck, getting sick, and getting furloughed/laid off. Your move, American.
Old Mar 12, 20, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Seeing the same - I bought a number of trips late last week in a mix of destinations and cabins. The same flights are about 2x now.
Old Mar 12, 20, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Crisphoarder View Post
Has anyone been able to refund or change (first due to lower rates) a web special fare without paying the reinstatement fee due to the corona virus?
I was wondering the same thing.
Old Mar 12, 20, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by lrdpenn View Post
Seeing the same - I bought a number of trips late last week in a mix of destinations and cabins. The same flights are about 2x now.
I'm seeing that too, from DCA to Florida in May. Was 6K, now today showing 10K. The flights went down in price for those who are paying, but went up for using miles.
Old Mar 13, 20, 7:40 am

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Spire, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by Crisphoarder View Post
Has anyone been able to refund or change (first due to lower rates) a web special fare without paying the reinstatement fee due to the corona virus?
Bump on this. Anyone have any luck getting their miles back with no fee? I have a trip to Paris first week in May booked in using miles that is an Econ Web Special. If I cancel, is American waiving the mile redeposit fee. I'm currently Plat Pro , but was Exec Plat when booked if that matters.
Old Mar 13, 20, 8:13 am

Sorry in a rush: regarding Web Special reinstatement/redeposit fee, see "Psyclone*Jack" #209 in the thread Trip Cancellation for Coronavirus. He says that he got miles back with waived fee, no problem. From 12 March, I believe. Here:

AA allowed me to cancel four (4) web special award tickets to LAX this weekend, no redeposit fee. Very few questions asked.
I booked these several months ago.
Old Mar 14, 20, 12:45 am

Programs: AA EP; HH Diamond; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; National EE
Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21 View Post
Yep...very annoying....was looking to book some trips, now, not so much.
Considering further, there's been numerous sub-10k web specials for quite a while, including when AA initially rolled out very limited routes. So definitely odd that they would raise to a 10k minimum considering the passenger loads they're expecting.
Old Mar 14, 20, 8:07 am

Programs: AAdvatage
Still some great Economy and First deals out there to Hawaii from the East Coast. I have the 30k First Class on hold, but I think I am going to cancel to be with my family in Economy.

Old Mar 14, 20, 9:59 pm

AA cancelled my "Economy Web Special" on hold

Taking advantage of 5 day hold offered, i put a 30k roundtrip to South America (MVD) on hold for wintertime. I noticed that they cancelled the return flight because of reducing frequency to MVD. Now my reservation is showing completely cancelled, even though it should be on hold for 2.5 more days.

Anyone else in the same boat? I am at a loss as to what to do. i would normally call in, but i'd rather not further tie up phone lines given the situation and aa.com having the "Our phones are busy" message

Last edited by medellinfein; Mar 15, 20 at 3:44 am Reason: clarity, spelling
Old Mar 15, 20, 8:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Any luck with changing flights recently on Web Saver awards? My friend is scheduled to fly SYD-LAX on what appears to be the last flight. He would like to leave ASAP on Monday or Tuesday if possible.

edit: Got through the hotline. They were willing to cancel for free and waive redeposit fees but no changes possible due to it being a Web Saver award.

Last edited by Pochama; Mar 15, 20 at 9:16 am
Old Mar 15, 20, 12:24 pm

I canceled an economy web special award travel booked in February 2020 and was able to cancel the April trip with no cancelation fee. Points and fees will be refunded
Old Mar 15, 20, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by metoo View Post
I canceled an economy web special award travel booked in February 2020 and was able to cancel the April trip with no cancelation fee. Points and fees will be refunded
Was this for domestic or international travel?
Old Mar 15, 20, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by rj7878 View Post
Was this for domestic or international travel?
domestic
Old Mar 17, 20, 10:53 am
jmw

Two weeks ago, I was interested at the 5K price point one way. I'm not inclined to book these anymore even at the 5K level. I think AA made a mistake hiking the price. At this point, even a funeral is going to be a pass for me. Good going AA.
Old Mar 18, 20, 5:13 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Seeing PHX-Europe in May for 84k RT in J.

Might have to book something just in case we get back to traveling by then.....

Search this Thread