Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2020, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by donotblink
IIRC @JonNYC reported that AA is making some changes to be more generous with same day standby changes. I don't recall the details, but I think there were/are testing allowing routing changes in a test market.
That would be nice.

Especially when there is potential looming IRROPs, having the ability to be proactive before a problem occurs is helpful.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by guv1976
That's correct. You cannot "change" a Web Special award. You can, however, stand by on one. Standby does not constitute a "change" for AA's purposes.

By contrast, Basic Economy fares do not permit changes or standby.
I have done confirmed SDC on web specials many times in the app. It's absolutely allowed.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by SamOF
I have done confirmed SDC on web specials many times in the app. It's absolutely allowed.
I was also able to confirm and same day stand by for domestic web specials. I was offered this option in the app so I did not have to talk to an agent
Old Feb 11, 2020, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SamOF
From aa.com:

"Tickets that include a Web Special award don’t allow changes, and – while you can cancel and reinstate your miles – fees may apply. Reinstatement fees are waived for Executive Platinum members."

So either the website is incorrect, or the app is offering something it's not supposed to -- especially given the report upthread that live AA agents have refused to do a same-day change on Web Special awards.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Here are the published rules for SDSB. Note that while SDSB is not available for non elites on Economy MileSaaver and BE, there is no mention of Web Specials as an exclusion. Best to have a physical print out of the rules handy.
  • On select routes operated and marketed by American or American Eagle, based on availability
  • May be confirmed up to 24 hours before the new flight time
  • Non-refundable, non-transferable and not available for Basic Economy fares
  • Standby is not available for non-elite members traveling on an Economy MileSAAver award ticket
  • No changes to depart / arrival airports, number of flight segments, connection cities or from a through flight to a connecting or nonstop flight
  • Customers on Basic Economy fares don't receive elite status same-day change / standby benefits
  • Offer is made at our discretion and subject to change or termination at any time
Old Feb 11, 2020, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Here are the published rules for SDSB. Note that while SDSB is not available for non elites on Economy MileSaaver and BE, there is no mention of Web Specials as an exclusion. Best to have a physical print out of the rules handy.
  • On select routes operated and marketed by American or American Eagle, based on availability
  • May be confirmed up to 24 hours before the new flight time
  • Non-refundable, non-transferable and not available for Basic Economy fares
  • Standby is not available for non-elite members traveling on an Economy MileSAAver award ticket
  • No changes to depart / arrival airports, number of flight segments, connection cities or from a through flight to a connecting or nonstop flight
  • Customers on Basic Economy fares don't receive elite status same-day change / standby benefits
  • Offer is made at our discretion and subject to change or termination at any time
Do those rules pre-date or post-date AA's introduction of "Web Special" awards?
Old Feb 11, 2020, 7:14 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
I have done same day standby on web special awards also. No AA status but OWE.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 11:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by guv1976
Do those rules pre-date or post-date AA's introduction of "Web Special" awards?
They are what is currently posted by AA as the "terms & conditions" of SDSB. Thus, it is irrelevant. If AA introduces a new product and wishes to contractually exclude its application, it knows how to do so. And, if it does not, the risk of that falls on AA.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 4:03 pm

Travel alert

Can you not rebook a web special online when a travel alert occurs? (For weather) I tried several times in different browsers and each time was only given option to cancel flight or change seats) I’m trying to call AA currently waiting 30+ min for a call back
Old Feb 19, 2020, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Spire, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
Can web specials be cancelled within 24 hours with free redeposit of miles and fees?

Yes, I have done multiple times. They say the miles may take 24 to 36 hours to show back in your account. In my experience it has only taken 2 to 3 hours.
yanxfann likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyForFun
Redeemed miles for a ticket from DFW to SFO last weekend. Outbound was an economy web special award. Only one flight was available at that level. On day of travel checked to see if could use same day flight change feature and was able to confirm and change to a later flight on-line. I am EP.

Was on the upgrade list for the flight but did not clear. Cleared at 100 hours for return flight.
I assume this is still true? As a platinum, I should be able to see the same day change feature on the website for an economy web special? This will pop up 24 hours in advance of the flight, and I can change for free all of my party of 4's reservation if seats are available? I haven't done this before on AA: which fare bucket would be available for my request? We're holding 5000 mile transcon tickets, but our current reservation is pretty terrible, with 2 connections.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA EP
SDC requires the same routing, so I don’t think it will help you.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:01 pm
Formerly known as rwk32882

Programs: IHTFP, AS 75k, AA EXP, AC 75k, ex-UA 1K, Ex-BD *G (RIP), SPG Gold
So I've got a web special award ticket booked for next month. SFO-LAX-AKL. AA made a schedule change impacting the SFO-LAX, moving it an hour earlier in the day. I rang up the EXP desk thinking this would be simple to straighten out as there are plenty of other SFO-LAX flights later in the day. Nope. After the agent consulted with the rate desk I was told to take it or leave it. No changes allowed. I'll HUACA and report back.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by la2clt
SDC requires the same routing, so I don’t think it will help you.
Ah, so I would need the same 2 connections? Yikes. That's pretty useless on a connecting flight, and completely useless if you want to improve a bad award routing. Sigh.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:12 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Roaming Ryan
So I've got a web special award ticket booked for next month. SFO-LAX-AKL. AA made a schedule change impacting the SFO-LAX, moving it an hour earlier in the day. I rang up the EXP desk thinking this would be simple to straighten out as there are plenty of other SFO-LAX flights later in the day. Nope. After the agent consulted with the rate desk I was told to take it or leave it. No changes allowed. I'll HUACA and report back.
Any luck?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.