Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AC, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Just booked IAD-DFW-HKG in F for 74,000 miles in March (web special so no changes but free cancel still works for EXP)

Excellent deal, didn't see a thread here -- various other dates available too
There's some out there for 61,000 too if you look around. Found some SJC-LAX-HKG in January 2020.
platbrownguy likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AC, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
Also some incredible deals for Business Class. Sample date, SFO-LAX-HND for 45,000 miles on 2/19.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 9:40 am

Award Map

Anybody know what happened to the award map? A month ago or more ago I was able to go on the award miles map, type in DFW and the select Continental US, select dates (either for one way or roundtrip) and select miles (5000 or 10,000, depending on OW or RT) and the map would show which cities were available. It was great to use b/c I could throw in a weekend and see where I wanted to go for 10K miles. Now, when I do it, almost every single city shows up in blue, so it is saying that I can fly there one way for 5000 miles on Dec. 20th (using that as an example). When you click on a city and go to book, of course there aren't any flights at that price. Just curious what happened and why it worked so good before and now it is useless. Rather annoying to have to click city pairs instead of using a map.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:33 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
I put a round trip web special on hold, but only want to ticket one way. I asked twitter to remove the segments I don't want, but they say they can't touch it - even though it's still on hold. Anyway to get this done?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I put a round trip web special on hold, but only want to ticket one way. I asked twitter to remove the segments I don't want, but they say they can't touch it - even though it's still on hold. Anyway to get this done?
You can try calling, but most phone agents are unable to do much of anything with web specials as they specifically say no changes (once it's on hold the reservation is set).

What is the rate for the one-way award now? You'll most likely have to just cancel and rebook.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Are there certain criteria for SDFC on these web special awards? I have a flight tomorrow and it's saying there are no flight options available for about 5 other flights the same day.

Does a web special award need to be available on one of the flights as well? They're all currently showing as the standard 12.5k awards.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You can try calling, but most phone agents are unable to do much of anything with web specials as they specifically say no changes (once it's on hold the reservation is set).

What is the rate for the one-way award now? You'll most likely have to just cancel and rebook.
110k instead of 43k. I could do some that are 69k instead of 43k, but I find it odd you can't lop off an entire one-way before it is ticketed. I might try calling webservices.

Edit: Webservices was unhelpful. I canceled and rebooked at 54k. DCA-LHR/AMS-DCA a month out for 108k isn't terrible.

They should update the verbiage to state that once a reservation is created it can't be changed - the website clearly says once ticketed.

Last edited by iadisgreat; Jan 7, 2020 at 5:53 pm
Old Jan 8, 2020, 4:16 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
How did you get the open jaw on web specials? Or is it via booking two one-ways?
Old Jan 8, 2020, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
How did you get the open jaw on web specials? Or is it via booking two one-ways?
Two one way, which I should have done to begin with.
TravelerMSY likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 6:19 pm

weird

noticed something a little weird when looking for flights from Japan. When I am logged in, I see less availability for "Economy Web Specials" then when I am logged out of my account. Discovered this by accident but it's been this way for a few days now.

Looks like I can login afters selecting a flight, and book it.

Just something to check!
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:56 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
ran into phantom 5k award space... looked fine until get the warning screen about hazardous carryons, click to book and poof! this page has taken flight
Old Jan 13, 2020, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
ran into phantom 5k award space... looked fine until get the warning screen about hazardous carryons, click to book and poof! this page has taken flight
If you can click through that far it's usually not phantom space but another technical glitch (aa.com/cookies/cache/browser). Try signing out and back in again and/or using a different browser.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:29 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If you can click through that far it's usually not phantom space but another technical glitch (aa.com/cookies/cache/browser). Try signing out and back in again and/or using a different browser.
Nope, those tricks didn't work. Also didn't work in a different AAdvantage account. Other flight options worked. So, I think one individual flight to CLT was The Phantom Menace
Old Jan 15, 2020, 2:46 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I am curious to see if some of these dreadful (multi-connect) 5-8k web specials can be booked 7-10 months out and then await an inevitable schedule change. I do this with Saaver Biz awards now, just wondering how much luck I would have on say a 35 hour itinerary from Seattle to St Kitts with overnights in Dallas and Miami getting changed to a straight through routing. There are some laughable itineraries getting served up, but some quite cheap... I may just go ahead and buy and then see if it works out as well as it has with milesaavers,,,
Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA GfL
I think I would definitely chance this. Schedule changes on AA are a virtual certainty if you book that far in advance. Granted I am OWE (with BA) and often book using BA Avios, but I call AA when nasty schedule changes pop up and they have always helped me find something better, award availability or no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.