Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
I have been able to extract shocking value out of my miles using the new dynamic pricing. With OKC as my origin, I have booked 5 trips for the summer/fall to PWM, LGA, SFO, PIB, and LAX. The first four destinations were 10K r/t, and LAX was 13K r/t. I generally didn't even consider domestic rewards before these deeply discounted rates were made available.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
I have been able to extract shocking value out of my miles using the new dynamic pricing. With OKC as my origin, I have booked 5 trips for the summer/fall to PWM, LGA, SFO, PIB, and LAX. The first four destinations were 10K r/t, and LAX was 13K r/t. I generally didn't even consider domestic rewards before these deeply discounted rates were made available.
Exactly how I feel about em. Finally some use for my AA miles domestically
LovePrunes and thunderdeacon like this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: American Airlines
I’ve been getting some great last minute value too. Short northeast flights that would have been $400-800 in cash booked the day of or day before for 5k miles. Worth checking for last minute plans.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Tbooth3
I’ve been getting some great last minute value too. Short northeast flights that would have been $400-800 in cash booked the day of or day before for 5k miles. Worth checking for last minute plans.
I also had no problem getting in the standby list for an earlier flight. Everyone showed up but my original flight was oversold so in addition to a last minute ticket for these miles I also got $525.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:13 am

I booked a WebSavsr Award for 12,000 miles r/t from SJC to Santa Fe in January. Current pricing is $302 in Y whether I go to ABQ or Santa Fe. I love the Santa Fe airport and my Grandmother lives 15 minutes away. I save the shuttle fee of $60 r/t and I got perfect timings via PHX.

I leave SJC at 12:47 PM arrive SAF at 5:35 PM On the return it's a 1 PM flight arriving SJC at 6:42. I could have done a 10,500 redemption but that flight had less than 30 mins and I want to go to the AMEX lounge.

Overall I value Santa Fe over ABQ as in the past when I flew to SAF the cost was $100 more than ABQ for the same 12,500 miles.i figure $60 for bags is ok .
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: Hertz Five Star, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, National Executive, Alaksa MVP
If AA changes your flight on a web special with a 3 hour later arrival do the fees still apply to cancel?
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by rpk113
If AA changes your flight on a web special with a 3 hour later arrival do the fees still apply to cancel?
These are treated no different from any other ticket with regards to schedule changes as far as I know. That is, for a significant schedule change you should be able to call AA and ask for a different routing, or cancel/redeposit for no fee.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Has anyone been able to do same-day standby on economy web special fares? I've heard that it's possible but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks!
Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by brewdog11
Has anyone been able to do same-day standby on economy web special fares? I've heard that it's possible but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks!
Yep was able to get on standby lists by using the SDFC request in the app.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 1:43 am

Am I correct that if I booked a saver biz/first I cant change my award to a econ web special?
Old Dec 13, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Amazing how poor AA is at this on some of my routes. On LAX-SEA, AA sells a low $120ish ticket, similar to DL and AS and a roughly $200 discounted F. On dates where they are all charging these relatively low prices (with AS lower by $25 sometimes), AAs mileage awards are nuts. AS and DL are 5k to 7k for economy and 15-16k in F. AA is 16k web saaver for economy and 50k for F!! Haha
Old Dec 13, 2019, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stephem
Amazing how poor AA is at this on some of my routes. On LAX-SEA, AA sells a low $120ish ticket, similar to DL and AS and a roughly $200 discounted F. On dates where they are all charging these relatively low prices (with AS lower by $25 sometimes), AAs mileage awards are nuts. AS and DL are 5k to 7k for economy and 15-16k in F. AA is 16k web saaver for economy and 50k for F!! Haha
Definitely hit or miss. I've been on the good end of them recently, with 500+ dollar tickets being available at 5000 miles.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite
Question, I am looking to book a ticket for my 15 year old son. I am seeing great web special mileage rates on his routing. He is old enough to fly by himself, but I can't book on-line for a minor. I tried calling and I was told on the phone that phone agents can't touch web special rates.

Does anyone know of a workaround? I vaguely recall that when I had this issue a while ago the phone agent suggested that I put in an incorrect birthdate for him and then call to have it corrected. I am not really comfortable with that idea, but would it work?

Thanks,
Old Dec 15, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by travellerK
Question, I am looking to book a ticket for my 15 year old son. I am seeing great web special mileage rates on his routing. He is old enough to fly by himself, but I can't book on-line for a minor. I tried calling and I was told on the phone that phone agents can't touch web special rates.

Does anyone know of a workaround? I vaguely recall that when I had this issue a while ago the phone agent suggested that I put in an incorrect birthdate for him and then call to have it corrected. I am not really comfortable with that idea, but would it work?

Thanks,
Put it on hold for both of you and call in to have res remove you.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Just booked IAD-DFW-HKG in F for 74,000 miles in March (web special so no changes but free cancel still works for EXP)

Excellent deal, didn't see a thread here -- various other dates available too
donotblink likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.