Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Premium Economy Upgrade Request for EXP & CK [$0 for a limited time]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Economy Upgrade Request for EXP & CK [$0 for a limited time]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Didn't someone say up thread the upgrade list contains confirmed passengers without seat assignments? Is it possible these passengers were booked on another airlines ticket in PE, but that airlines didn't/can't let them choose a seat? So then these passengers were already confirmed in PE, but just getting their seat assignments at the gate?
Usually not. As PE is wide open, there is no reason for seats to be assigned at the gate. It should be assigned at check in.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I'm on AA106 tonight from JFK-LHR.
Originally selected 17c on a 777-200 variant that seemed to be in a row of 3 MCE seats at the bulkhead.
Not logged into the AA app and no notifications that 17c doesn't exist anymore, although I couldn't get a BP, but I assumed they wanted a passport etc. check at the airport.

Checking today, 17b seems to have vanished and the mini cabin in front, rows 13-15, seems to be PE, that they're not selling, from a search on AA"s website.(2-4-2 config). No row 16.
I've shifted myself forward into row 15, so hopefully they're selling PE as MCE here.

Last edited by xenole; Oct 30, 2018 at 3:16 am
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by xenole
I've shifted myself forward into row 15, so hopefully they're selling PE as MCE here.
Yes, they are. They haven't started selling PE on AA106 yet, as they still use the non-PE 772's on this route. (There are 7 left, but they are being refit pretty quickly right now). So you will be on a refit 772 that has PE, thus you will have a nice PE seat with MCE service.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by mcrw00
The free upgrade offer from the app is certainly exciting, but I'm curious how it interacts with any uncleared SWU/miles + copay requests on the back end.
If AA is indeed working on building PE as a separate stop on the Y>PE>J>F upgrade chain, then it would make sense that the system would count these upgrades to PE on the app as "upgrade completed," and void out any other requests.
Has anyone noticed what happened to their J or F requests after accepting a PE upgrade on the app?
Agree completely that this is a live beta-test before modifying the upgrade chain for $$$! I've noticed a change in how my request is displayed on my upgrade request from PE to J on Int'l flight. Actually started a thread asking if anyone else has noticed this change..... Has AA Website changed how upgrade requests are shown?

Last edited by MarJon; Oct 30, 2018 at 7:41 am
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
PE for MCE price :)

Originally Posted by econometrics
Yes, they are. They haven't started selling PE on AA106 yet, as they still use the non-PE 772's on this route. (There are 7 left, but they are being refit pretty quickly right now). So you will be on a refit 772 that has PE, thus you will have a nice PE seat with MCE service.
Evening All, I was on AA136 from LAX to LHR yesterday evening and was lucky enough to get a 772 with PE.

Moved my allocated seat from MCE to 13L and enjoyed PE at the bulkhead. Blanket etc was available but was catered as Economy (which makes sense as sold as Economy).

Anyway an enjoyable flight and I'll enjoy the product over the BA PE as the seat has a footrest and slightly better AVOD screens.

D
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Looks like everyone on the flight who could move has figured this out as the cabin has gone from fairly empty to full since this morning. Either that or AA have "upgraded" some people.

Was hoping to have both seats free but most of the plane must have checked in on the day possibly at the airport.

17c, the seat I gave up, still seems to be free as it was on my inbound flight.

Added: seems the cabin wasn't as full as the seat map showed. Had the seat next to me remain empty, and a few others too. Made for a comfortable flight and I got two amenity kits from the pillow / headphones packages left on the seats.
Couple of families in PE so no idea if they moved themselves at check-in or were put together then or earlier.
Would have had a baby across from me had I stuck to my original seat, assuming I wouldn't have been asked to move to accommodate the couple with the child who took 17c and d? for a bassinet.

Last edited by xenole; Oct 31, 2018 at 2:39 am
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:45 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Well, on AA 193 tonight. Upgrade list looks like this:

11/1/2018 upgrade list

I asked around, it seems that #1 was PE to J and #2 was Y toJ.

I was told #31 , fwiw, is a NR that took #1 s place in PE

Like TWA884.... You can take my info FWIW. But I think it's safe to say LAX GAs, at least at 1am when LAX HKG leaves, are unlikely to upgrade CK/EXPs to PE. (I'm inJ tonight, but figured I'd follow up)

Edit: No3 also cleared. Into J it seems

Edit: the FA are so confused they announced the flight as AA 192. Really????

Last edited by no2chem; Nov 1, 2018 at 2:06 am
Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
I have been getting the complimentary upgrade on my last 3 flights during OLCI (Online check in), but always the first segment was the long haul (the one tha offer PE). Tomorrow I have another international with a connection, should do the OLCI at T24 from the first domestic segment or do it at T24 from the international?. I would like to know if anybody got the free upgrade when doing the check in over T24 from the long haul. Besides, I requested a SWU but it looks like J is almost full and I don't want to get excluded because I'm waitlisted for a SWU as I see on the previous reports.
Do I call AA and remove the SWU request, then do the OLCI in order to get PE? I have only see one report so far that PE was offered when they were requesting a SWU.

Thank you in advance,

Fed
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Check in at T-24 for the long haul if it is second segment?

I also have this question- I am in Y on a TATL and am interested in getting the Y > W complimentary if available... should I check in at T-24 for the longhaul, or T-24 for the domestic, initial leg? Anyone have experience with this situation?

Originally Posted by fedechat
I have been getting the complimentary upgrade on my last 3 flights during OLCI (Online check in), but always the first segment was the long haul (the one tha offer PE). Tomorrow I have another international with a connection, should do the OLCI at T24 from the first domestic segment or do it at T24 from the international?. I would like to know if anybody got the free upgrade when doing the check in over T24 from the long haul. Besides, I requested a SWU but it looks like J is almost full and I don't want to get excluded because I'm waitlisted for a SWU as I see on the previous reports.
Do I call AA and remove the SWU request, then do the OLCI in order to get PE? I have only see one report so far that PE was offered when they were requesting a SWU.

Thank you in advance,

Fed
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:18 pm

Follow-up w/ some info

Originally Posted by fanger
I also have this question- I am in Y on a TATL and am interested in getting the Y > W complimentary if available... should I check in at T-24 for the longhaul, or T-24 for the domestic, initial leg? Anyone have experience with this situation?
I tried checking in at T-24 for my domestic segment 1 and was not offered any upgrade option for the long-haul, so I did not complete check-in, planning to wait until T-24 for the long haul. Unfortunately I accidentally checked in on the app at around T-27 (again no Y to W upgrade offer).

I went to the gate at T-90min and asked the agent about upgrading Y to W. He seemed to think that I needed to request it online or by phone, but did say he could offer a cash upgrade. When he checked, the price was $0. I was able to trade my bulkhead aisle Y for bulkhead aisle W, as a bunch of spaces cleared out in the Y>J upgrade cycle (I was out of SWU). I wonder how long this will be an option.
donotblink likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:43 pm
Suspended

...but did say he could offer a cash upgrade. When he checked, the price was $0.
That's the way ^
donotblink likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
That's the way ^
Thank you, your tweets on this were very helpful.
JonNYC, donotblink and dciolli like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I tried checking in at T-24 for my domestic segment 1 and was not offered any upgrade option for the long-haul, so I did not complete check-in, planning to wait until T-24 for the long haul. Unfortunately I accidentally checked in on the app at around T-27 (again no Y to W upgrade offer).

I went to the gate at T-90min and asked the agent about upgrading Y to W. He seemed to think that I needed to request it online or by phone, but did say he could offer a cash upgrade. When he checked, the price was $0. I was able to trade my bulkhead aisle Y for bulkhead aisle W, as a bunch of spaces cleared out in the Y>J upgrade cycle (I was out of SWU). I wonder how long this will be an option.
what route were you on? I had this offered to me a while ago on DFW -> HNL for $0 as platinum pro.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Do these $0 upgrades extend to companions on the same PNR?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by donotblink
Do these $0 upgrades extend to companions on the same PNR?
My experience (from Sept 2018 when I experienced this) is yes. Companion was gold. I did have to pay some few dollars in taxes though. It was a flight from Hawaii.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.