Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Premium Economy Upgrade Request for EXP & CK [$0 for a limited time]

Premium Economy Upgrade Request for EXP & CK [$0 for a limited time]

Old May 7, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ChrL
On my recent flight I accepted the PE offer when I checked in online (using the full website on a computer). I checked again 4 hrs before the flight and saw that I was still waitlisted for the business class upgrade.

At the airport (DUB) I initially couldn't check in due to "change fee due". I went to the desk where they printed out my premium economy boarding pass. Whilst at the desk I asked about the upgrade request to business which they were then able to clear immediately as I was #1 on the list (#2 had already been cleared).

Is it important to OLCI on the full website rather than the mobile app in terms of seeing the potentially free PE upgrade?
Old May 7, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
Hmmm... wish I saw this back in March. I (EXP) was flying with my daughter (no status) TLV-MAD-PHL-DFW and had requested a SWU MAD-PHL. No offer on check-in (had to check-in via El Al since that was the first leg, then got my boarding pass in the AA app). When I got to the gate in MAD, they told me business was full, but asked if I would take PE, which we did. They took my 2 SWUs - should they not have? If they shouldn't have, is there anything I can do about this now, nearly 60 days later?
Old May 7, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Originally Posted by dboston
Is it important to OLCI on the full website rather than the mobile app in terms of seeing the potentially free PE upgrade?
In my case it refused to check me in on the app but then offered the upgrade when I checked in online.
Old May 7, 2019, 8:01 am

thanks!
Old May 7, 2019, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by stewlevine
they told me business was full, but asked if I would take PE, which we did. They took my 2 SWUs - should they not have? If they shouldn't have, is there anything I can do about this now, nearly 60 days later?
They should not have, and yes, you can call AAdvantage Customer Service to redeposit your SWUs. This has happened before, and should be a slam dunk to correct if they agree you were seated in PE. (I'm assuming you didn't also end up somehow using the SWUs on PHL-DFW.)

The wrinkle would be if they incorrectly claim you were put in J, so perhaps think about what evidence you have in that case.

​​​​Some ethics commentators might ask if you "agreed" at the gate to an offer of PE in exchange for the SWUs, but IMO it would hold no weight because such an offer would be contrary to AA policy.
chitink likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Keep us posted on your follow-up with Cust Svc.
Old May 7, 2019, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
...​​​​Some ethics commentators might ask if you "agreed" at the gate to an offer of PE in exchange for the SWUs..
Any such opinions, if they were to materialize here, should definitely be ignored.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 8:25 pm

I wonder what happens in situations like this...For instance, is it as simple as (1) Passenger on PALL list for SWU to J (2) No J available, so GA moves passenger to PE (3) Processing of passenger registers as clearing the list (4) SWU is attached to passenger, so system just deducts it because the passenger "cleared," although not to J?
Old May 8, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
Originally Posted by worldiswide
Keep us posted on your follow-up with Cust Svc.
Sent a DM to Customer Service over Twitter this morning with the flight I think they took the SWUs out of, will see what happens. If I don't get a response by end of day, will call and email to follow up.
Heard back - was the MAD-PHL leg; was told to call Customer Service. Doubt I have the paper boarding passes any more, hopefully will be able to get this resolved.
For those who have been successful in getting such items addressed, any pointers of what to refer to in terms of policy or for them to see what our actual seats ended up being?
Update 2: Over DM customer service did confirm that an upgrade to PE should not trigger taking SWUs. Need conference calls to end so I can actually call Customer Support and see what will need to happen to get this actually fixed.
Update 3: CS Rep sending over for reinstatement. Didn't seem too confident about the rules and whether PE now requires a SWU; he did clearly see though that was what we moved to. Waiting to see what the response is regarding reinstatement.

Last edited by stewlevine; May 8, 2019 at 1:38 pm
Old May 8, 2019, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by stewlevine
Sent a DM to Customer Service over Twitter this morning with the flight I think they took the SWUs out of, will see what happens. If I don't get a response by end of day, will call and email to follow up.
Heard back - was the MAD-PHL leg; was told to call Customer Service. Doubt I have the paper boarding passes any more, hopefully will be able to get this resolved.
For those who have been successful in getting such items addressed, any pointers of what to refer to in terms of policy or for them to see what our actual seats ended up being?
Update 2: Over DM customer service did confirm that an upgrade to PE should not trigger taking SWUs. Need conference calls to end so I can actually call Customer Support and see what will need to happen to get this actually fixed.
Update 3: CS Rep sending over for reinstatement. Didn't seem too confident about the rules and whether PE now requires a SWU; he did clearly see though that was what we moved to. Waiting to see what the response is regarding reinstatement.
And - four hours after the call, I see the restored two SWUs in my account.
Old May 13, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
$0 PEY upgrade at OLCI, Visa issues?

Since I am not a US Passport holder, AA.com will not allow me to check in online if I am flying to many countries (like Japan, UK or EU countries although I technically am visa exempt for those countries). In this case, I wonder whether I would still see the "upgrade available" interface when **attempting** to check in online? I say 'attempting' because usually when I try to check in, the website asks for my passport details, whether I am traveling with an infant and etc, but I am not sure the "upgrade available" thing is asked before the system decides to kick me out and say "see an agent"

Any experience would be appreciated
Old May 22, 2019, 7:28 pm

FWIW I did desktop OLCI today (as EXP) for JFK-MAD and was not offered an upgrade to premium economy with W3. I checked EF a bit later and It was W1 which then become W0. Y3 also became Y0 at the same time. I wonder if theyre blocking seats now or if its actually a full plane.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
I was offered a pey upgrade for $0 (gru-mia) and selected it. It failed. I tried many times on multiple devices.

Check-in agent said also failed for her. Lounge agent said the same.

What gives?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by rivlinm
I was offered a pey upgrade for $0 (gru-mia) and selected it. It failed. I tried many times on multiple devices.

Check-in agent said also failed for her. Lounge agent said the same.

What gives?
Oh boy!

Have you tried to tweet AA?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
It gets better. I asked twitter, they asked if I wanted to use swu. I said 'NO!'

They said sorry, then the gate will have to help. I went to gate. She said I was in j as someone requested the upgrade for me with miles/copay....

She checks pey. Space open but system won't give me upgrade. They put me back in y. I say fine. I'll use swu. Gate agents say no. Too late, you already told us no. Zero remorse. Zero customer service.
​​​​​​

I'm pretty upset with aa in y right now.
chitink likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.