Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Premium Economy Upgrade Request for EXP & CK [$0 for a limited time]

Premium Economy Upgrade Request for EXP & CK [$0 for a limited time]

Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by donotblink
Do these $0 upgrades extend to companions on the same PNR?
dciolli likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Is the issue where you don't see a LFBU $0 upgrade online, still present if you have an upgrade wait-listed? The only reports I see on that are from several months ago and I have some upcoming trans-Atlantic flights coming up where I haven't cleared yet.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:23 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
I am waitlisted for Y -> J upgrade by SWU.
J and Y are completely sold out (T96), but PEY are still several seats on sale.
I don't think my request Y -> J upgrade will clear.
I am still not sure how to request Y -> PEY complimentary upgrade without canceling the SWU waitlist (Y -> J).
Can anyone tell me exactly how to do that?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MrJBoy
I am waitlisted for Y -> J upgrade by SWU.
J and Y are completely sold out (T96), but PEY are still several seats on sale.
I don't think my request Y -> J upgrade will clear.
I am still not sure how to request Y -> PEY complimentary upgrade without canceling the SWU waitlist (Y -> J).
Can anyone tell me exactly how to do that?
This:
Originally Posted by JonNYC
For CK/EP to get the comp upgrade to PE, they -must- make the request specifically and at the gate and basically would be best to stay in the gate area once requested.

No specific request, no PE upgrade. And staying in the lounge 'aint gonna work either, for this.
And this:

And ignore everything else.
GTITAN, MrJBoy and chitink like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
This:

And this:

https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1056312920987127817

I was able to get a Premium Economy Upgrade from LHR to JFK in January at the AA transfer desk at LHR on my way home from BAH. The agent first initially said EXP don't get free upgrades but she decided to just try to switch my seat and it worked. I was still on the SWU waitlist, too.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I know this thread is about comp ExecPlat upgrades to PE, but has any non-ExecPlat been offered the option of a cash upgrade? I have a flight JFK-GRU next month and the cabin is pretty wide open. (Agree with most that I wouldn't trade my aisle MCE seat for a middle seat in PE.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by VaBeachGirl
I was able to get a Premium Economy Upgrade from LHR to JFK in January at the AA transfer desk at LHR on my way home from BAH. The agent first initially said EXP don't get free upgrades but she decided to just try to switch my seat and it worked. I was still on the SWU waitlist, too.
My itinerary stopped showing at aa.com just before T24, so I called AA and was told that the system tried to clear my SWU request and it's stuck since no availability.
So the agent cleared something and my itinerary showed up again. She told me my SWU upgrade request was now at the airport waiting list or something. I didn't really understand what she told me. Also, she said no complementary upgrade for EXP...
I hung up and then at exact T24 I tried to check in online, and I got a $0 upgrade offer to PEY! so I snagged it.
However, my itinerary doesn't show the SWU request anymore.
Since B/C is full according to ExpertFlyer also the agent told me the the same thing I don't think my SWU will clear anyways.

Since I didn't see "Systemwide Upgrade: Requested" anymore I called AA again to make sure I was still on the upgrade list even I got the $0 upgrade offer to PEY.
The first agent said I already used 1 SWU to move to PEY and there is no double upgrade, so I was not on the upgrade list anymore. I thanked her, and hung up.
The second agent understood how I got the $0 offer to PEY and it had nothing to do with SWU upgrade request. I was on hold for a while and she came back said that due to the system limitations I was off from the upgrade list when I took the offer. Anyways after the long wait she or somebody put me back on the upgrade list, she said. However, it doesn't show at aa.com or aa app, so I have to take the agent word...
JJeffrey likes this.

Last edited by MrJBoy; Mar 19, 2019 at 4:55 pm
Old May 6, 2019, 10:32 am

This:

And this:

https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1056312920987127817

EXP here, booked in Y on an upcoming long-haul, and would like to confirm the present consensus strategy. I have a SWU waitlisted. My order of preference is, as you'd expect:
1. J in exchange for SWU
2. PE for free
3. Keep Y seat

So, JonNYC says it all has to happen at the gate. If my SWU hasn't cleared, I tell the gate AAgent (when exactly? T-60min?) that I'd like to have the PE option, and hopefully they get the system to say "W OKAY". And this implements the preferences above, right? Then I wait for my name to be called for either PE or J.

Should I worry about doing anything before this point? Does it matter if I check in 24hr before my first (domestic) flight or 24hr before the long-haul? If I get a $0 PE upgrade offer when checking in online, should I take it? I assume so, and then call and make sure I still have the SWU waitlisted. No risk that this would permanently block the SWU?

If no upgrade has happened by the time I'm at the airport, any point in speaking to a check-in or lounge AAgent to get something moving for PE, or do I really just do nothing until at the gate?
Old May 6, 2019, 11:58 am

Does Exp get complimentary PEY upgrade if available on a long haul flight, but for an award ticket in T? Obviously would prefer PEY over MCE. Thanks.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
EXP here, booked in Y on an upcoming long-haul, and would like to confirm the present consensus strategy. I have a SWU waitlisted. My order of preference is, as you'd expect:
1. J in exchange for SWU
2. PE for free
3. Keep Y seat

So, JonNYC says it all has to happen at the gate. If my SWU hasn't cleared, I tell the gate AAgent (when exactly? T-60min?) that I'd like to have the PE option, and hopefully they get the system to say "W OKAY". And this implements the preferences above, right? Then I wait for my name to be called for either PE or J.

Should I worry about doing anything before this point? Does it matter if I check in 24hr before my first (domestic) flight or 24hr before the long-haul? If I get a $0 PE upgrade offer when checking in online, should I take it? I assume so, and then call and make sure I still have the SWU waitlisted. No risk that this would permanently block the SWU?

If no upgrade has happened by the time I'm at the airport, any point in speaking to a check-in or lounge AAgent to get something moving for PE, or do I really just do nothing until at the gate?
Do OLCI at T24 from the international sector (long haul), where PE will be offered at $0 upgrade offer.

Originally Posted by bszeto
Does Exp get complimentary PEY upgrade if available on a long haul flight, but for an award ticket in T? Obviously would prefer PEY over MCE. Thanks.
Free PE offer doesn't work on awards.

In the past when I have one seat available (W1), I could get my $0 PE offer, but 3 days ago I didn't receive that offer, I will assume because only 1 PE (W1), but zero Y (Y0). It looks like even if a seat is available, they will not give you that offer is Y is full. On my return (last night), it was W3 and I was able to get the PE offer for $0.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fedechat
Do OLCI at T24 from the international sector (long haul), where PE will be offered at $0 upgrade offer.
That absolutely cannot be stated as some kind of certainty.
Old May 6, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Well I'm not saying there is any guarantee of PE at $0, but if there is any chance for a free PE upgrade, it must be done at T24 from the international sector (until T2 for course) and not from the domestic sector. For example If you have a flight like JFK-LAX-HKG and you do OLCI trough the app/website at T24 from the JFK-LAX, you will not get the PE offer and the system will check you in all the way to HKG. I made that mistake a couple of months ago, but at T24 from the international sector I was able to do OLCI (again) and I got the free PE $0 offer, besides, I will always recommend at T24, because the longer you wait, there less chance you will get (other CK/EXP may grab those free seats before you).
Old May 6, 2019, 4:45 pm

Thanks, understood. If I am offered PE at OLCI, I should take it, right? It won't prevent me from keeping the SWU waitlisted?
Old May 6, 2019, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Thanks, understood. If I am offered PE at OLCI, I should take it, right? It won't prevent me from keeping the SWU waitlisted?
Ya'know.... I'm not sure I have that answer and will ask. And/or maybe there are folks here that have first-hand experience with that.
Old May 6, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Ya'know.... I'm not sure I have that answer and will ask. And/or maybe there are folks here that have first-hand experience with that.
On my recent flight I accepted the PE offer when I checked in online (using the full website on a computer). I checked again 4 hrs before the flight and saw that I was still waitlisted for the business class upgrade.

At the airport (DUB) I initially couldn't check in due to "change fee due". I went to the desk where they printed out my premium economy boarding pass. Whilst at the desk I asked about the upgrade request to business which they were then able to clear immediately as I was #1 on the list (#2 had already been cleared).
JonNYC and FlyingEgghead like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.